zardrell
OverLordSandwich

Parents trying to live through their adult children(18 years or older Classify Adult child)

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

zardrell

Con

As long as I can remember, Parents and teachers told us to follow our dream. This philosophy was taught from the age of 3 to the age of 11. Once you enter middle school, and high school, you are taught to goto college and get all of these degrees to live a good life. is your life worth it when your parents live through you?
OverLordSandwich

Pro

I accept your debate.
As far as I understand:
My opponetnt is trying to argue the point that parents "live through" thier child's life by teaching them the philosophy of entering college after teaching them to follow their dream. My opponet feels that this is wrong and asks

"is your life worth it when your parents live through you?"

So my question to my opponent is this: Is your life worth it without your parents trying to push you to succeed?
Many orphans wish they had a parent to do this to them. It only makjes sense that your parent would try to get you to go to college and earn degrees.
Yes, it is true that they want you to "follow our dream" and college might not be your dream; but can you follow your dream without further education? No. (unless you want minimum wage). You must work for your dream.

Parents are not trying to live through their child's life. They are trying to help you develop the life they might not have.

zardrell

Con

my opponent asked about orphans, well, the questions was not geared towards orphans, i believe that it is in humane to live through your child. you make your life as much you want it to be worth. not your parents. you didn't ask to be born, nor did your parents in return. it comes down to decision making, either you make right decisions or wrong decisions.
OverLordSandwich

Pro

Sorry about the late argument. So I will get right to it:

"my opponent asked about orphans, well, the questions was not geared towards orphans"

I'm pretty sure orphans are considered children. It would seem "in-humane" to classify them as anything else. Either way I was just trying to make the point that children with parents that push their child to succeed are luckier than orphans.

"you make your life as much you want it to be worth. not your parents"

The original argument for Con was: Parents should not try to live through their adult children.
Key word: TRY
Your current argument now is that parents shouldn't even try to help their adult child succeed. They should just let their child decide.
Are you saying that when the adult child starts taking drugs it would be in-humane for the parent to step in? It would be even MORE in-humane to NOT step in.
The parent doesn't need to completely change the child; that part is up the the child. But, parents should try to help their child succeed.
zardrell

Con

why does it have to be about drugs or orphans? im saying if you are an adult, and you follow your passion, your parents have very little to say about it. now there are some parents who just want to be a narcissist and live through their child, thats what i call inhumane. a child didnt ask to be born, not me, not you, nor the parents. but we as adults, have a right even if youre not an adult, you want to do something, pursue it; let the consequences follow your descisions.
OverLordSandwich

Pro

Again, you are going off topic.
The original argument for Con was: Parents trying to live through their adult children being in-humane.
Parents should not be blamed for trying to live through their child to help them succeed.

"a right even if youre not an adult, you want to do something, pursue it; let the consequences follow your descisions"

My opponent is right that you can do what you want if you please and it is your own desicion (that is why laws are invented); but it is NOT your decision whether or not your parent tries to help you. It is your parent's. Your decision in this is if you want to follow their advice or not. My opponent says that this is in-humane. No. It is in-humane for the parent's child to to force their parent to not at least try to help them succeed. Why should the child be more important? After all, is it not the parent who raised them?

Key word in all of this: try
Parents are allowed to try to live through their adult child and help them. The decision of if the advice should be executed is the child's.
Since my opponent can not defend the original claim, by evidence, I have defeated my opponent.

Thank You.

zardrell

Con

zardrell forfeited this round.
OverLordSandwich

Pro

OverLordSandwich forfeited this round.
zardrell

Con

zardrell forfeited this round.
OverLordSandwich

Pro

OverLordSandwich forfeited this round.