HAtatrah
Dmetal

Patented software technology

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
Started: 4/3/2011 Category: Technology

HAtatrah

Pro

New software technology should be patented and controlled by the people and corporations
that invent them.
Dmetal

Con

Although pro's statement is broad, I am assuming that he means software products should be controlled to the extent that no one is allowed to enhance, change, or modify the product in any way for any reason at any time, even if the consumer has already purchased the product. I will argue that software products should be open source (free software) because problems can be detected and fixed more easily, enhancements can be added by several minds working together for a common good, and patents and copyrights have inherent costs that fall upon the consumer. Before I go further with the details, I will ensure that I have characterized pro's stance correctly.
HAtatrah

Pro

I must leave now and will not be back until late so I will miss this I will enter the next round hopefully. Do you know how to change the time restraints without messing everything up.
Dmetal

Con

Dmetal forfeited this round.
HAtatrah

Pro

HAtatrah forfeited this round.
Dmetal

Con

Dmetal forfeited this round.
Posted by HAtatrah 6 years ago
HAtatrah
I'm saying that when a person or company invents new software, it should be his right to patent it, he is able solely to determine the future of that product and what others are able to do with it. Thanks for the concern.
Posted by wjmelements 6 years ago
wjmelements
As opposed to copyright?
Posted by deputy 6 years ago
deputy
Could you be more specific? To what point should they be allowed to control the tech? Are you talking about simply preventing people from modifying and distributing or selling, or are you talking about preventing people from modifying software at all even if for their own personal use?
Vote Placed by BillBonJovi 6 years ago
BillBonJovi
HAtatrahDmetalTied
Reasons for voting decision: my conduct point to Pro because Con forfeited 1 round more. No other points to be awarded