Patriotism to which country?

If someone has grown up in UK but both their parents are Indians, then which country should he be patriotic to?
1. Should he betray UK for the good of India?
And as a general thing,
2. Should we think for the good of just our country or the whole world? Is it correct to betray other countries for our own?

My opinion...
1. I think yes, the country you "BELONG TO" should be the country you are "PATRIOTIC TO".
2. Hmmm, of course they have got people to think about their countries... We are the future and present of "OUR OWN" countries... those countries which are being betrayed are not uninhabited, can't they think of their good "THEMSELVES"...

In the name of God Most Gracious Most Merciful.

Firstly I thought it to be an opinion posted in a wrong section from the title but we have something to argue here also...

Con says that you should be Patriotic to the Country you belong to instead of the country where you may have lived grown up you may been provided with Love from the country and country men and humility and emotions... no matter what happened in the country you lived but you should ignore everything what you took advantage of whether it be the Law the peace of country weather it be freedom of that country or what ever.. no matter what but from where you originally belong it deserves you to be Patriotic to that country! .. i.e. the Country you belong to.

That is not Logical at All that is not a Loyal, Humanly Spirit and Emotional resolution but you are just trying to go with the your Biological roots...

Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) was once asked, "What is more important than prayer?" He replied, "The spirit of prayer" - the spirit that animates the prayer. He was asked what is more important than fasting - He replied, the spirit of fasting. For each question concerning an Islamic practice the answer was the same - because the spirit brings the action to life and unfolds its potentials. Without this animating spirit, the prayer is only movement, and the fasting only hunger. But when spirit enters, when a pure and concentrated intention enters, the action is transformed - the prayer gains the potential to become a Miraj (an elevating spiritual journey), and the one fasting approaches towards the potential to witness laylatul Qadr (The night of Destiny - A night when blessings from the spiritual world descend to this world).

Hence rather then going towards one's biological roots one should acknowledge the Spirit of it! The Relationship which a person builds with The Place where He Lives and Grows is has a Spiritual Connection with Him but The land his parents belonged to is a mere Biological Connection...!

Muhammad was born and grew in the City State of Makkah but was forced to take an exile to the City State of Madinah. He lived much of his productive life at Madinah. When his followers conquered Makkah, Muhammad talked about his birth place as the following (narrated by Ibn Abbas)

"Oh Makkah, you are my most beloved city, had my people not forced me to leave you, I would never live away from you."

But few days after completing his pilgrimage at Makkah, the Prophet left for Madinah and he died there soon thereafter. He was buried in Madinah.

Certainly the Prophet was a patriot but he was realistic. He managed to make Makkah where he lived and grew up the destiny and a Sign of Peace for whole world with His True Devotion ( Fighting is Prohibited in Makkah!)

One should respect & be Loyal to the land that fed him and gave him security and peace and Freedom to Live.

Although we should surly think of Good of our Whole world because this the only Village of Mankind in whole universe but as an old saying goes... "Charity begins at home" the place you lived and grew up has a right to be loved by you more then from where your Parents belonged..

Furthermore to Clear my Arguments:
  • A person stays in UK for 30 years and is born and grew up there but if (hypothetically) India raids a War against UK and he in spite of Living and growing in UK He starts a campaign against UK it will be surly called Hypocrisy.
  • If It happens that UK comes under Attack and you take a back seat though you lived there for 30 years but you say that I belong to India its not my Fight it will be a great Hypocrisy.
Hence Its not a Fair & Logical Claim from Prospective of Love, Emotions, Spirit.

Patriotism should be to The Country You Live in & Who Fed you with its Resources.

Even DOGs are Loyal to House They Live Rather then thier genetic Breed... & I LOVE DOGS for Thier Loyality

I thought things are not going to go so complex....
Firstly, I don't consider this in the wrong section for I am very particular about selecting sections for my opinions. Society is the only place where morals are given consideration and on other sections they run hither-thither for facts and you never get to know what they really think...

My worthy opposition says... that one is betrying the "Love" and "Freedom of law" from that country if they go with their biological roots, but if you are going with your biological roots, then this means you were connected to them all your life, may be many of your family members are living there and you always speak in your mother tongue with your family. And still follow the same religion.

In the case of UK and India, you still have strong feelings against the oppressions of British Raj over India. Many Britishers were raised in India but fought against the citizens for their country.

Anyways, when we come to general life of people, whenever you visit your motherland, you get a sense of belongingness, you get love from the people, which you'll never get from the place your parents migrated to. Specificall that country doesn't give you love, the citizens do, and you may be friends with them even after you betray the country. Yes you do get the freedom of law, but when you visit your motherland where you don't have the freedom anymore since your parents had left, you still get the opportunities to get along with people, be with them, follow your culture, which you sometimes don't feel like following in the country you live in, as you feel like people may object or you don't get the resources to perform your culture over there.

Even if you get the resources, some festivals are there which are celebrated with great pomp and show in your motherland like HOLI, MAKAR SANKRANTI, DIWALI and DURGA PUJA, you won't feel like celebrating them there as you won't enjoy. These Laws sometimes force you to follow the life as their countrymen do, and then you can't call it freedom but restraint.

Society is much above religion, and religion is just a part of it, the caption I gave above was just because you were trying to relate it to Islam by writing the English version of "BISMILLAH AL RAHMAN AL RAHIM" and the topic is much away and above from these religious nonsense... the example could have been different but you gave it from the life of Mohm--- so I can just say that it was a different case in those days and now. People usually didn't leave their motherland those days and it only happened when they were forced to, therefore it's rare that they could still remain connected to their motherland. Now generally people leave their land for better jobs and they still have love for their motherland, most of their children still cherish their culture. So the example should have been taken out of somthing happening now-a-days, not something 800-900 years ago.

You should respect who you actually are, more than who you are today or you are forced to become today. Please, take examples from countries with stable politics like, UK, France, India, USA, Russia, Japan etc. not from the countries where the opinions of the citizens don't matter much like, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Syria, China etc. because then it won't just be the case of patriotism but would include many inland forces too.

When you gave the example of the dog, I had a big laugh as it was like asking that "Humans should be loyal to their homeland or to Humans??".... Actually, it should have been represented like "Dogs should be loyal to their new master or the first one"... which makes it all clear, a dog always remains loyal to one master and as many master you change for it, it would always remain loyal to the first one.
This makes my point absolutely clear infront of the Con!!

LoopsEye forfeited this round.

milindchakraborty forfeited this round.

LoopsEye forfeited this round.

milindchakraborty forfeited this round.

LoopsEye forfeited this round.

milindchakraborty forfeited this round.

LoopsEye forfeited this round.
Posted by henryajevans 3 years ago
You could try not being patriotic at all, and identify with any people that you are aligned with. It's rather liberating.
Posted by LoopsEye 3 years ago
I was stuck up with some work and happen to be late. Pro can state new arguments or can extend as he wishes I shall refute all together in my next turn.

Posted by LoopsEye 3 years ago
Damnn Late!
Vote Placed by NiqashMotawadi3 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con was the first to forfeit.