Khosrov99
SlovakiaKentros

Patriotism

SlovakiaKentros

Khosrov99

Pro

I will let you to make the first move!
Why do you think that patriotism is wrong and harmful?
SlovakiaKentros

Con

Patriotism is harmful to a nations integrity and a persons knowledge about the outside world.
Firstly, the nation aspect of patriotism. Nations, like venezuela, are generally very patriotic and encourage their citizens to do more for their country. This might mean fighting for their country in the name of patriotism, or doing wrong in the name of their country because they believe it's justified.
The second part of it relates to the citizens of the country. As they grow accustomed to the Patriotism that they are surrounded with everyday, they will believe it more. This is what Patriotism does over time, and can be related or described as desensitization (Or a more slang term, brainwashing). It prevents outside knowledge to come in as well, since they are so dedicated to their own country. For example if a study shows that another country is doing better economically, the Patriotism that a person has inside of them would have told them prior that other countries are less significant.
Finally, A patriotic mindset affects a country economically, because a "Pro Us" mentality also relates to a "Lesser them", which will discourage the patriotic peoples to invest in outside companies. That is a quarter of the reason of why venezuela is 33rd in gdp compared to the world[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org...[1]
Khosrov99

Pro

A true patriotist is identifying what is wrong with his/her (gender equality :D ) nation, and giving anything (sometimes even his/her life) to fix it.

What you talk about is not called patriotism. You are talking about Ultranationalism.

The main thing that patriotists and ultranationalists have in common is that they both love their nation. But there is a big gap between them. If a patriotist works to develop his country's economy, culture and the most important thing Reputation, a ultranationalists first goal is destroying neighbouring country's economy and culture, and if this goes wrong (which mostly happens) he/she (gender equality :D ) will have his nation destoryed.
SlovakiaKentros

Con

I didn't show Ultranationalism, since America does fight blindly for their country, knowing little about what their fighting for in the name of Patriotism, as you could see in the Korean War for the most part. Their love for their nation is part of the problem. Patriotism is a heavily opinion based term however, with an open interpretation. Patriotic american's invaded the foreign countries to save their own country and their own economy from the Communists, and to be the "Good guy" in a diplomacy aspect, or to save their reputation.
Khosrov99

Pro

Khosrov99 forfeited this round.
SlovakiaKentros

Con

A little strange. I'll give you next round to respond to my previous argument. No point in digging you further into the ground.
Khosrov99

Pro

Khosrov99 forfeited this round.
SlovakiaKentros

Con

I'll give you one last chance to respond. Your unexpected absence is strange,
Khosrov99

Pro

Khosrov99 forfeited this round.
Posted by NoMagic 1 year ago
NoMagic
If I criticize my country, and I do frequently, is that patriotic or unpatriotic?
Posted by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
Patriotism=Nationalism.
Posted by Finalfan 1 year ago
Finalfan
To me this is about the scope of empathy. This debate should help illuminate the "us vs them" mentality that comes with limiting the scope of your compassion! It may be easier for me to see patriotism in this light because I never picked a football team, do not vote nor declare my state nor country "exceptional"! I do not revel in the past of the development of this country (nor many others) doing so would make me an enabler to repeating disaster. BTW was I the only one paying attention while watching "A Beautiful Mind" Remember his epiphany at the bar? Redefining the basic economic principle: If it is not in the best interest of EVERYONE.. It will only be a detriment for those who believe they are entitled to peace and comfort while others around the world are not! Come on! Spock Knew it.. we all know it.. and it should be common practice by now!
Posted by Khosrov99 1 year ago
Khosrov99
An anti-patriotic person will accept this challenge no matter if it's about patriotism, nationalism or even unlta-nationalism
Posted by Bahamute619 1 year ago
Bahamute619
I feel that you will have to define some semantics first. When you look up the definition of nationalism you see it is related to and synonymous with patriotism. So in order for someone to debate this we have to make a distinction between patriotism and nationalism. Are you saying that one is more extreme than the other?
Posted by Khosrov99 1 year ago
Khosrov99
Yes I agree. For that i made this debate to challenge those who are against patriotism
Posted by Stefy 1 year ago
Stefy
Patriotism isnt harmful. Nationalism and exeptionalism is.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
Khosrov99SlovakiaKentrosTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by NoMagic 1 year ago
NoMagic
Khosrov99SlovakiaKentrosTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF, would've liked Pro to argue their side.