Yraelz
whitesoxfan450

Paying to be a debate.org member is a fundamentally good idea.

Yraelz

Pro

No, it's not currency I speak of, nor is it anything tangible which you must give up. My proposal is simple, I am advocating a payment of 1 instigated debate per month.

This means that to keep a membership on this website you must instigate at least one debate per month. I feel this would be overall advantageous.
whitesoxfan450

Con

Thank you for an interesting topic, should be a fun debate.

First of all, the wording of your resolution is kind of weird. You stated that "Paying to be a debate.org member is good" and yet, you're saying its not actually paying. I believe your wording should be "Debate.org members should have a 1 debate minimum per month,"

Now on to the topic.

Doing this would be a huge time screw. Many people have jobs, school, and other business, so they aren't able to do this. For example, a student may find this a problem, because he will spend a month studying for AP exams.

This might also be a problem for someone if their internet is down for a month or so. It wouldn't be fair to them to have this rule, if they can't even get on the website.
Yraelz

Pro

I haven't had to debate solvency in quite some time, thank you.

My opponent has exactly two comments that I am going to attack, the first one is as follows,

"Doing this would be a huge time screw. Many people have jobs, school, and other business, so they aren't able to do this. For example, a student may find this a problem, because he will spend a month studying for AP exams."

>>Really? I work about 50 hours a week, I do some parkour on the side, I enjoy reading anything from Fantasy to Philosophy, occasionally go to the gym, attempt to go for a run when my ankles aren't devastated, and spend time with my friends + girlfriend. And yet after all of that I believe I can still amount 30 minutes once every month to do something that does not include my daily routine of activities.

Let us take this debate as an example. It took me perhaps 4 minutes to initiate the debate, and it'll possibly take me 10 minutes to write my response this round, and depending on the length perhaps 15 minutes for the final round. This means I am taking close to 30 minutes out of a month.

However I didn't even need to make this a three round debate. I could have in all reality made it a simple 2 round debate or even a 1 round monologue with a thought provoking idea.

Quote #2:

"This might also be a problem for someone if their internet is down for a month or so. It wouldn't be fair to them to have this rule, if they can't even get on the website."

>>Entertainingly enough I had no power supply to my computer for about 10 days during the current tournament. I was effectively forced to find alternatives. Which were rather simple to find.

1. The public library is a very great source.
2. Internet Cafe pretty good also.
3. Friends houses.

And honestly, if your internet was down then yeah, sure, just send the webmaster an email if none of these alternatives are viable.

===========
Which brings me to my advantages of this case.

A. We would actually know how many people use this website. Instead of showing 3800 or so current members most of which only logged on once or twice we would have an actual reading on just how many debaters there are.

B. There would be more debates. There are debaters on this site that almost exclusively take the contender in debates without ever initiating. Thus this would add a few more debates into the challenge period each month.

Also this would keep good debaters such as Solo active once per month so that there accounts didn't get deleted.
whitesoxfan450

Con

I'll answer the arguments in the order my opponent did(Mine then ours)

1) So that's YOUR schedule. Lets just talk about mine, for instance, also.
So I wake up at 6:30, school starts at 7:30(I'm in high school) And usually, I don't get home until about 6, because of Band, Jazz Band, Broadcasting, Debate, and other activities. I usually then get home, and do homework, which takes around an hour. After that, I'll watch TV for a bit, and possibly some studying. Time is NOT something I have a lot of, and especially with exams coming up, I have less of it. Also, its not 30 minutes a month for every debate. Many debates(my other debate I'm doing right now) requires research. That research can take between half an hour, and an hour. I'm barely able to do this debate right now! Infact, I had to forefit a round on the online debate toruney because of school! Time isn't everyone's friend.

2) I'm not sure where any internet cafe's are in my area, I'm not sure if there are any. And what if you don't have a laptop? Many of my friends don't have internet either, and a few don't even have computers. And the library, well, with a schedule like mine, the library is about closed by the time I'm done with other things. So no time to write a good speech.

Also, how can you send the webmaster an EMAIL if you don't have INTERNET?

Now, on to my opponents case.
A. Why is it necessary to know how many people use this site? Would that solve any problems to say that 150 people use debate.org? Why can't we just look at the online now list? I understand where you are coming from, but I don't think its anything worth noting, and isn't significant enough to be a voting issue.

B. Actually, their would be LESS debates. Less people=more debates forced on one person=time screw=my first argument. This would create problems, to FORCE people to do a debate each month. I personally don't do one every month, does that mean I should lose my rights to this site, because I have homework?

And can you explain your last sentence? I'm not quite sure on what you're saying.

Thanks, and good luck for the last speech!
Yraelz

Pro

1. My opponent states that he does not have as much time as myself. He then goes on to state that each debate he does is not 30 minutes. However this is not my fault nor does it have any bearing on the resolution. IF a debater is pressed for time in any given month THEN they can simply make a quick funny ironic or entertaining 1 round debate to keep their membership. While this probably will not help debate.org overly much it will help on the months where said debater does have the time to make a good round, and must do so.

2. In the extreme circumstance that your internet goes down for an entire month, you can't use any of your friends computers, there is no internet cafe in your town, and the public library / school library is not open when you have free time; then I would suggest that when you finally do get your internet back you can send the webmaster an email and he can restore your account.

However this is an extreme circumstance, I think given a month, someone can most likely find some way to make at the very least a 1 round debate.

and now to defend my case.

A. Knowing how many people are actually on this site would aid us in tracking new members relatively easily. It could also be used to watch for trolls and would force trolls to actually make debates. Something, that if not done well, would raise suspicion. Thus it would deter people from having multiple accounts as they would have to put excess effort in to upkeep such accounts. This is a voting issue.

Furthermore it would allow all users to see just how many members there are and understand the competition on this website better. It would also allow common users to decide how well this website was doing and if it was on a decline or increase.

B. No, there would be more debates. No where in my resolution do I mandate that people must accept the debates, if a debater makes a debate and no one accepts it then that is fine. This would not put unneeded pressure on debaters who did not want to take multiple debates. It would simply increase the number of debates in the challenge period, giving debaters who wanted more opportunities to debate, their desires.

My last sentence was stating that debaters who no longer actively use this website but still want their accounts to remain in case they ever decide to come back (like solo) would have to create a debate once per month. Which would add to the overall debates.
whitesoxfan450

Con

To start off, here is a quote from my opponent.
"IF a debater is pressed for time in any given month THEN they can simply make a quick funny ironic or entertaining 1 round debate to keep their membership. While this probably will not help debate.org overly much it will help on the months where said debater does have the time to make a good round, and must do so."

So we want debaters to not really think about their debates, and just type the sky is blue for a speech? We want them to just make a joke round? This will a) create less debates, because people won't want to debate on what 1 plus 1 is, and b) create less education. The purpose of a debate is to educate, and to develop argument skills, and by doing this, you gain neither.

2) This will create less debates too. By doing this, people will think "oh, I can just take a break from debating for a month, and make a sob story of how my internet was gone." This takes away from everything. And there ARE circumstances where a month isn't enough. What if you're out of the country?

Now, to my opponents case.

A) Can you explain on this? I still don't get how tracking new members, and knowing whos on when will help so much. It doesn't seem to me like this reasoning will make the site any better. I understand you're point of this, but I still don't completely get the idea.

B) If this is true, you're resolution is too vague. If people don't accept the debates, they aren't actually debating! So that means IF This is true(which it can't be) All of you're arguments against my speech aren't true, and don't make sense. The whole argument of getting on, however, is still in play.

So, vote CON because
1) My opponent canceled out one of his arguments made, with his B
2)You can't force people to find ways to get online
3)By adding dumb debates, we LOSE debates
4)Tracking isn't necessary, and again, we can do it now, by looking at who's online and looking at recent debates

Vote con!
Posted by brian_eggleston 6 years ago
brian_eggleston
I can see where Yraelz is coming from but there are some members who prefer to just read and vote on debates, as they may be too shy or modest to take part themselves.

Perhaps we could say one debate OR one member's comment per month?
Posted by awesome 6 years ago
awesome
Hey... you can watch mine! :-D Please do. It is that the government should create national identity cards. Have a nice day!
Posted by Yraelz 6 years ago
Yraelz
P.S.... This isn't just a random challenge, it is also asking anyone out there with a little bit of motivation to create a thought provoking debate topic.
Vote Placed by kristoffersayshi 4 years ago
kristoffersayshi
Yraelzwhitesoxfan450Tied
Vote Placed by Yraelz 4 years ago
Yraelz
Yraelzwhitesoxfan450Tied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 4 years ago
Logical-Master
Yraelzwhitesoxfan450Tied
Vote Placed by pcmbrown 5 years ago
pcmbrown
Yraelzwhitesoxfan450Tied
Vote Placed by LedLegend 6 years ago
LedLegend
Yraelzwhitesoxfan450Tied
Vote Placed by jiffy 6 years ago
jiffy
Yraelzwhitesoxfan450Tied
Vote Placed by whitesoxfan450 6 years ago
whitesoxfan450
Yraelzwhitesoxfan450Tied
Vote Placed by sillycow 6 years ago
sillycow
Yraelzwhitesoxfan450Tied
Vote Placed by huntertracker6 6 years ago
huntertracker6
Yraelzwhitesoxfan450Tied
Vote Placed by brian_eggleston 6 years ago
brian_eggleston
Yraelzwhitesoxfan450Tied