Pedophilia is a sexuality

1st round acceptance
2nd round arguments
3rd round rebuttals
4th round rebuttals/concluding statements

NOTE: I am not a pedophile. I am not advocating for the legalization of child marriage or sex with children, I simply want pedophilia to be recognized as a sexual orientation.

No trolls please.

I accept your challenge, I look forward to debating you

Thank you for accepting this debate so quickly, now to the argument.

sexual feelings directed toward children

Note that nowhere in the definition of pedophilia is sexual contact with a prepubescent child required, pedophile is simply a way to describe someone who is sexually attracted to children. The popular definition of the pedophile is quite different, a disgusting, haggard, monster of a man in his mid-to-late 40s, tempting elementary school girls to get into his off white, unmarked van. As soon as she is close enough, the pedophile grabs her and throws her into the vehicle, then proceeds to drive to a remote location and rapes the little girl he just abducted. This is the image of the pedophile, and not a very nice one. Most real pedophiles, however, look just like the average Joe or Jane(yes, women can be pedophiles too). They have jobs just like anyone else, they have friends just like anyone else, pedophiles aren't the monsters most people would have you believe.

The majority of pedophiles are against child molestation because they know it harms the child both physically and emotionally, and hate themselves for feeling the sexual attraction that they do. But they can't help it because most of them were just born with that attraction, although they didn't realize it until their mid-teens to early 20s, right around the time most people know they're gay. Now before you go on a rant about how homosexuality is nothing like pedophilia and I'm a horrible person for comparing the two let me say I agree, I don't put pedophilic relationships on the same level as homosexual relationships. One is a relationship between two consenting adults and the other is a relationship between an adult and a child who can't truly give consent. But you can't ignore the historical similarities on how they have been viewed in western society. For the majority of human civilization's existence, both homosexuality and pedophilia have been seen as unclean, unholy and unacceptable behaviors. In 1950s America homosexuality and pedophilia were listed as mental disorders and even diseases by nearly all respected psychologists and therapists. Flash forward 60 odd years and now 19 states have legalized gay marriage and there are gay pride rallies all over the country. Isn't it at least a possibility that pedophiles are just born the way they are just like homosexuals? I mean who would choose to be a part of a group of people seen as perverted filth by everyone else? People are nowhere near seeing the merely being a pedophile as not a atrocious crime as they were 60 odd years ago, and I want to change that. I have a few friends that have admitted to me about their attractions and I want them to live in a world where they aren't reviled for something they were born with, didn't choose, but can control.

I also think that having pedophilia accepted as a sexuality would make it far easier for people to come out of the closet and admit to other people their feelings and 'urges'. If that were to happen, then those pedophiles that are less able to control their 'urges' would be more likely to voluntarily seek therapy, with therapy those people would be less likely to turn into child molesters. One of the main reasons most closet pedophiles don't do this already is because they are worried that their therapist would report them to the police, which they are required to do in many places. Those laws are in place to protect children, which is good, but it deters the people that need treatment from getting it.

I am sorry that I couldn't make more points but I have been awake for 28 hours straight at this point and I am very tired.

I look forward to your argument, I hope it contains more substance than just 'it's gross and harms kids'.

lilianhunter forfeited this round.

I have nothing to rebuttal since my opponent has not yet posted an argument. lilianhunter, I will let you post your argument this round and we can rebuttal in the 4th round.

Hope you don't disapoint.

lilianhunter forfeited this round.

Well... this is disapointing.

I will challenge you to a second debate, you aren't getting out of this that easy.

If you refuse, I think I should be the winner of this debate considering I was the only one that posted any arguments(exept that person in the comments section, you did more work on this debate than lilianhunter ever did-you rock!)

lilianhunter forfeited this round.
Posted by aLaPasta 2 years ago
Previously I thought pedophilia was more fetish than orientation, but Gustav's argument is so compelling I was willing to be swayed over if lilianhunter's debate didn't hold water. However, lilianhunter hasn't debated at all, which is highly disappointing, and only adds to my trepidation in the matter. Good job on Gustav, though! Top notch debating skills right there.
Posted by killerinstinct 2 years ago
You should define age ranges. In some countries your practically a pedophile if the girl/boy is say a month away from whatever age is accepted for sex.

If this is real hardcore pedophiles, like 40 year old dude with 6 year old girl. Your gonna lose this argument.
Posted by schachdame 2 years ago
That's a great debate topic. It's controversial and inspires to think about, whether pedophiles are daemons and born-criminals or humans with an unfortunate sexuality who drift into horrible forms of criminality because of their unfulfilling and challenging lives. Well done.
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
I think it's a sexual orientation not a fetish. It's actually pretty difficult to prove,though.
Posted by Empiren 2 years ago
Fetish* would be the correct term.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: ff