Fawwaz.Tasneem
Bogcha

Peer pressure is more benefecial than harmful

Bogcha

Fawwaz.Tasneem

Pro

Peer pressure is influence on a peer group, observers or individual exerts that encourages others to change their attitudes, values, or behaviors to conform to groups.
It can actually be both but I chose yes because it can help people to have positive habits. Their friends can encourage them to do the right hing rather than the bad thing. I should know because that's what I did to my friend. I had pressured him to stop pretending that he is oh so cool and that he should just be himself. Well he finally did what I said and he isn't as miserable anymore and has a bunch of friends. So peer pressure can be good sometimes and people can use it in a good way.
It can be beneficial as what we see peer pressure is something that is definitely wrong but sorry peer pressure is the pressure by your own friends for anything and this anything may not always be wrong. It can be good things also it brings competitive behavior as if you have all your friends telling you to study. You will because you simply don't want to feel embarrassed in front of anyone. Choosing your peers is the task that you do yourself I mean no one forces you to be friends with someone it's all your wish and in the society we have evil and we have the wise so I suggest that choose correct friends and trust me peer pressure is the best thing which can make you live a successful life ahead. Peer pressure can teach youngsters how to behave in society. Peer pressure can make a child more competitive when it comes to studying or practicing sports. Peers can teach other peers how to behave appropriately within their age group. This is not a lesson parents are necessarily able to teach as they grew up in a different era. Peer pressure can be a good thing. It all depends on which group of peers you find yourself surrounded in.Peer pressure and socialization happen in so many profound ways that people do not realize when it is always happening. It is only given a bad rap when people see it as being bad. Usually though when there is bad peer pressure coming from a source, there is equally opposite good pressure coming.
Bogcha

Con

I would like to thank the instigator of this debate for this topic. I will be basing my arguments on the idea that peer pressure has a harmful/negative effect on the teens/tweens or any individual of that matter.

What is Peer Pressure?

Peer pressure is the phenomenon wherein we tend to get influenced by the lifestyles and the ways of thinking of our peers. Peer pressure can prove beneficial but it is most often observed to have negative effects on society. [2]

Negative Effects of Peer Pressure

Some background information of peer pressure. Peer pressure can cause the individual to loose himself/herself to the values of the group/peer [1]. It can create a type of hierarchical ladder (or a democracy for that matter) in which the power of the individual matters to the extend of his/her influence. What i mean by that is if a group of 8 individuals, all having the same drives and standards, the opinion of one individual will have a value of (1/8)*100= 12.5%.
What that percentage shows is that your input as an individual part of a group will have a small influence on the whole group. Keeping in mind what i have mentioned above, below I will go into a few negative examples of peer pressures.

1. Teenage Peer Pressure [1]

The teenage years can be the most influential years of an individual's life. It is the time when the individual forms his/her beliefs based on the surrounding. It is also the most beautiful period of life. During this time, teenagers are most susceptible to change. Alcohol, tobacco and drug use are very common during this years, most of these influences being regarded by the surrounding individuals/friends.

2. Involvement in Vices [3]

Most teenagers engage in vices due to their friends. Not participating in these events is perceived by the individual as a bad image being created by their friends, making them look more inferior. Alcohol abuse as well as drugs are some of the most common practices during these vices.

3. Selfishness [3]

Teenagers change persona in order to fit in that group of "friends". Socializing events such as down-talking as well as insulting other due to a certain trait/condition are very common. It follows the analogy:

"I hate that girl so much, if you don't hate her also we cannot be friends."

References:

[1] http://testfunda.com...

[2] http://us.reachout.com...

[3] http://janettemanese.blogspot.ca...
Fawwaz.Tasneem

Pro

Fawwaz.Tasneem forfeited this round.
Bogcha

Con

Bogcha forfeited this round.
Fawwaz.Tasneem

Pro

Fawwaz.Tasneem forfeited this round.
Bogcha

Con

Bogcha forfeited this round.
Fawwaz.Tasneem

Pro

Fawwaz.Tasneem forfeited this round.
Bogcha

Con

Bogcha forfeited this round.
Fawwaz.Tasneem

Pro

Fawwaz.Tasneem forfeited this round.
Bogcha

Con

Bogcha forfeited this round.
Posted by TubOLard 1 year ago
TubOLard
Hmmm, good points for the positives of peer pressure. You often don't hear about this, but just the negatives.
Vote Placed by zeromeansnothing 1 year ago
zeromeansnothing
Fawwaz.TasneemBogchaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Never start something that you will not finish.There appears to be no public reason for the forfeiture. Con's case is well structured and easy to read and suggest more care and interest in the subject. In truth this was a simple debate that concluded itself prematurely . It would have been interesting to explore the research that is attached to this topic. The phenomena of changing personality traits because of the effects of peer pressure was made by Con and I found what there was of it 'persuasive', after a fashion.