vmpire321
danger93

Pen vs Sword

vmpire321

vmpire321

Con

RESOLVED: The Pen is Mightier than the Sword.

...Well....

1) Round 1 is acceptance. (don't post any arguments yet :D)
2) No ad hominem
3) There are 3 debate rounds (Not counting the first round)
4) 8000 characters per argument.
5) 72 hours to respond

Good luck!
danger93

Pro

Accepted. Just one thing, sources allowed or not? Reply before you post your aguements.
vmpire321

Con

Well..Thanks for accepting!

==DEFINITIONS==
According to http://dictionary.reference.com...
Pen = The instrument of writing or authorship...... (language)
Mightier = Has more impact
Sword = The weapon as the symbol of military power, punitive justice, authority.....(Physical)

==ARGUMENTS==

Consider the following situations:

1) You are at a bank, withdrawing money. All of a sudden, a violent, pysichologically disturbed man runs in, pointing a gun, and says, "Give me the money." Given that you are a human being, your logical response would be "No!" So he charges you, and you are left with the following options.
a) Hold up a sign saying "Please Don't Hurt Me!"
b) Grab sometime to defend yourself, to do something.

Let's consider a different perspective. Two beings are pitted agaisnt each other. They both take up their own choice of weapons. One chooses the pen, and the other chooses the sword.
1)The effect of a spoken or writen insult is pathetic, if you take into account what the sword can do. Any intelligent human would also realize that others opinions really shouldn't affect them, if they have a stable mind.
2)Furthermore, the pen only tells people to stop. The sword, on the other hand, makes them stop.

Now let's compare insults with violence.

Insults come and go, which makes them inconstant. One example of this is the middle finger. Stories of this suggest that the middle finger originated in the Hundred Years War, between the French and the British. All though stories of this differ, people say that when a bowman was captured by the opposing force, they cut off his middle finger. By doing this, they ensure that even if the bowman escapes, he/she can no longer use the bow. However, when a bowman escaped with their fingers intact, they would flick the opposing force off, and give off a "You didn't get my finger" sense. However, as time passed, our society has converted this motion into the phrase "F*** you" This clearly shows that every insult spoken or writen, is simply a product of human behavior that has developed over the years.

Violence, on the other hand, is present in every living thing. Physical attacks or abuse is not only evident in the human race, but all over the Animal Kingdom. Violence has always been apart of history and nature; it will never change. Let's take a look at warfare. Violence is clearly more effective, as shown by North Korea's nuclear weapons development, the war in Iraq, the recent uprising in the Arab Spring. Do you see soldiers screaming insults such as "You ****s!" or do you see them using weapons and causing death?

Conquering Less Powerful People

When you have a bigger and more powerful "sword", you possess the ability to conquer less powerful people or nation. By conquering them, you inherit and gain all of the products of their "pen", including works of literature, arts, culture, etc.

And here are some examples in real life....

Libya
When we take a look at current world examples, we see that still, the pen is ineffective compared to the sword. Would written letters changed the mind of Muammar Gaddafi? Did speaking out change Muammar Gaddafi's opinions? No, but a physical and violent attack agaisnt Muammar Gaddafi proved to be successful.

World War Two
Now, without the sword, would Hitler have stopped the Holocaust? America didn't send in letters saying "please stop", America sent in troops, violence, and the sword. This saved future lives that could have been lost.

The Civil War
There is no way that slavery could have ended on paper. But then why did slavery end? Because of the great, bloody Civil War we had, in which 700,000 people died. All of this was for the long term; it was for the greater good. The South had to be defeated

Literal Meaning

Although this argument is pointless, I'd still like to mention it just for the heck of it. In a real match between the pen and the sword, without a doubt, the sword would demolish the pen.
danger93

Pro

danger93 forfeited this round.
vmpire321

Con

Arguments extended....
danger93

Pro

danger93 forfeited this round.
vmpire321

Con

Apparently, the sword has killed danger93.

Arguments extended and...

Vote CON!!!!
danger93

Pro

danger93 forfeited this round.
Posted by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
lol...rofl
Posted by danger93 5 years ago
danger93
xD
Posted by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
xD! You came back sooo late.
Posted by danger93 5 years ago
danger93
Dude I was bussssy
Posted by kyro90 5 years ago
kyro90
Lol good luck you two. ^_^
Posted by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
Lol. I'm gonna add that quote to my "quotes" section.
Posted by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
>.<! @PC: I'm okay with that nickname... But if we do debate and I keep up my perfect score up to then, then one of us is going to have to walk out with a loss >.<!
Posted by PeacefulChaos 5 years ago
PeacefulChaos
@Underlord (see what I did there?)-

You can be against it, sure. And you can incorporate any kind of 'force' you want. As long as there are no semantics and you argue something like, "By following the definition of force, we see that love is technically not a force". In addition, when I claim that love is the most powerful force, I obviously don't mean literal force (i.e. a truck has 2,000 pounds of force!), lol.

@vamp (bad nickname?)-

I also have a perfect score, but we all have to take risk once in a while. After all, "You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."
Posted by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
@PC.... Well, I'm not sure if i want to debate you, lol. I have a perfect score up to now >.<!
Posted by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
xD You would... But in this case, up agaisnt fear, I think that fear would rule supreme. >.< But still, romance is awesome. (There is no "fear" genre....Well, there is horror..)
Vote Placed by PeacefulChaos 5 years ago
PeacefulChaos
vmpire321danger93Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I agree with Pro's position, but Con won because of Pro's FF.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
vmpire321danger93Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by kyro90 5 years ago
kyro90
vmpire321danger93Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Sorry danger that you forfeited..