randolph7
Nitro123

Pencils v Pens for math homework

Nitro123

randolph7

Pro

Easy debate of only two rounds (24 hour turn). Let's keep it lighthearted and fun and the Pro side will make arguments for why pencils are better and Con will make the case why pens are better for math homework.

I have three reasons I believe pencils to be superior for math homework:

1) They can be erased easily and completely. Sure there's some erasable pens but it looks sloppy and it's still quite visible after erasing.

2) Previous work like simple math can be erased and make the mathematical proof easier to understand.

3) The teacher can see the amount of effort that went into getting the final answer by all the erasing. Pens only show the final work but the teacher would not know how much effort that took.

Thank you. Look forward to your reply.
Nitro123

Con

I gratefully thank my opponent for instigating this debate and look forward to the argument. I will assume the con position for the duration of this debate.

Merriam-Webster (m-w.com) defines mathematics as "the science of numbers and their operations, interrelations, combinations, ...". Lucas Grabeel once said, "I dislike math, yet I respect and appreciate the fact that math is the language of the universe."
Math is the language of the universe. You can find perfection solely in numbers. In math, all of the figures fit together like clockwork. Math is the language of the universe, and math makes up the universe. There is math all around you, especially in nature where there is total equilibrium and balance.

With this said, no eraser is needed in math. We are human and make mistakes. Rather than erasing, crossing out what is written shows the teacher exactly what steps you took and the effort you put into completing the mathematic puzzle and finding the perfect solution.
randolph7

Pro

I'd like to thank my opponent for accepting and for this thought provoking discussion.

I find it interesting that my opponent chose actor Lucas Grabeel to provide their quote for this topic. I don't have a problem with the quote, it's just interesting is all :) While certainly poetic and bringing out the beauty of math vis a vis the "language of the universe" it doesn't get to the resolution at hand.

While certainly crossing out can be done with pens. But let's face it not everyone's work would be readable then and I think this is one of the reason's primary school teachers prefer math homework be done in pencil. I find it odd that for at least the last 100 years teachers have instructed students to use eraseable writing utensils (pencils, chalk, etc.) when pens have been around for much longer. The teachers see the benefits I'm speaking of.

Thank you Con for accpting this lighthearted debate and for this discussion.

Vote Pro.

Nitro123

Con

Firstly, I thank my opponent for his comments.

Crossing out can be done neatly with a single slash and keeps a paper organized. Also, my opponent mentioned in the first round, pencils can be "erased easily and completely". Pro later stated that "The teacher can see the amount of effort that went into getting the final answer by all the erasing". This is a solid contradiction.

Additionally, if a student's work is not readable, that is a problem dealing with the students handwriting and cannot possibly be blamed on the writing utensil.

Pro also mentioned that teachers have preffered pencils over pens for at least the past 100 years. That is not a fact, merely an estimation. Combined with the fact that wooden pencils have been around since the 1700s, this does not seem like a valid point. Also, teachers may see the short term benefits of pencils, though the students do not because graphite smudges and fades at a much faster rate than pens.
Posted by randolph7 2 years ago
randolph7
What do you mean in your RFD by "for the fun of it"?
Vote Placed by larztheloser 2 years ago
larztheloser
randolph7Nitro123Tied
Reasons for voting decision: This motion had nothing to do with math. Bad conduct to pro for bringing it up. Con showed erasing wasn't an advantage. Con should have built his own case, pro should have had more of a case than erasability. Not convincing either way, neg win.
Vote Placed by DoctrinallyCorrect 2 years ago
DoctrinallyCorrect
randolph7Nitro123Tied
Reasons for voting decision: for the fun of it.
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 2 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
randolph7Nitro123Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con loses conduct for waiting till the last round to address statements made by Pro in the first round. Arguments: Con was more convincing despite the irrelevant quotes in the first round.
Vote Placed by Lickdafoot 2 years ago
Lickdafoot
randolph7Nitro123Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con did a good job of pointing out the contradictions in pro's case, but ultimately pro's statement that pencils can erase was not fully refuted, and con made no effective arguments as to why pens would be preferable.
Vote Placed by DetectableNinja 2 years ago
DetectableNinja
randolph7Nitro123Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Kudos to both for having this debate. Conduct and S/G were tied. Pro argued as to why pencils are better. Con didn't argue as to why pens are better. All he did was talk about how important math was, as well as saying that pens COULD be EQUAL. However, since this is a versus debate, Con didn't really argue his case as well. Although the sources may have been unrelated as to why pens are BETTER, Con still used more sources than Pro.