tennis47
M4sterDeb8er

Pennies: Good or Bad?

M4sterDeb8er

tennis47

Con

I'm the bad side.
M4sterDeb8er

Pro

I'm on the good side.
tennis47

Con

Why do you think the government would try to get rid of pennies if they were good?
M4sterDeb8er

Pro

Good for whom? Even if something is bad for the government (US I assume), that doesn't make the item bad in general. Many people have argued on this website successfully for the legalization of cannabis in the United States, yet the fact it remains illegal implies that the government dislikes cannabis. I'm not an anarchist, but the approval of the government (which you have no sources to support) does not replace a logical argument.

I assume you have the burden of proof, but I'll argue for how great they are too. Pennies serve many users in our society. They allow complete change in business transactions. They remind us of Abraham Lincoln. They are used in pitching pennies. Mostly however, they keep cost down. Why? If everything ended in a 5 or 0, businesses would accommodate by RAISING prices. Sales tax would become 10 percent nationwide. It would be horrible for everyone.

Pennies are pretty good.
tennis47

Con

Pennies just make the world more complicated. In most stores, the cost of the majority of things ends in .99, and most people (like me) just pay an extra cent, because that's much easier. That way, nobody would have to go searching through their purses to find a couple of tiny pennies while instead, they could just swipe their credit (or debit) cards and finish their shopping faster.
Also, if we get rid of pennies, then we will be SAVING money instead of wasting it.

And also, how do you know that the prices will come up instead of going down?

;)
M4sterDeb8er

Pro

The baby boomer generation is upon us, and many people over the age of sixty do not like to use debit cards, especially because that would necessitate puting money into a bank, which in these unstable times may very well fail.

I contend that stores and banks will cheat people out of money because there would really be no way of returning money to the elderly that do not believe in credit without using pennies. Furthermore, it is common knowledge that banks and other such institutions round up charges such as the interest on loans and mortgages to the nearest cent. A person that wants to repay that debt in cash will henceforth be cheated as much as four cents per billing period.

0.04 dollars at the store per transaction x 3 transactions a day x 365 days per year = 44 dollars per year.

Just because the penny does not exist anymore.

My opponent suggests that the penny not be USED anymore. This is not her original resolution. She originally resolved that pennies are bad.

As the instigator, she has the burden of proof for proving that pennies are bad. She cannot stop at saying that pennies should not be used, she must also explain why the existence of pennies is BAD.

Best of luck to my opponent.
tennis47

Con

Rebuttals for Pro's argument:

"Furthermore, it is common knowledge that banks and other such institutions round up charges such as the interest on loans and mortgages to the nearest cent,"
How do you know that?

My argument:
Pennies aren't free, you know. It costs money to build factories and to get the machines and all the copper needed. So, what I'm saying is that if we get rid of pennies, we will be SAVING money instead of wasting money.!

Best of luck to my opponent ;)
M4sterDeb8er

Pro

Rebuttal: One hundred dollar bills cost four cents to make. The cost of pennies is minute in comparison to the scope and budget of the United States. Furthermore, pennies are largely made of zinc, not copper as you claimed. Zinc is significantly less expensive than copper, and half of your argument goes away right there. The bottom line here is that your objection is not solid enough nor important enough to declare pennies bad in general.

Here are some sources:

Banks round charges up: http://en.wikipedia.org...
Cost to make a penny: http://en.wikipedia.org...
Cost to make a bill: http://www.enchantedlearning.com...

tennis47

Con

Sorry, I just have a bad history with pennies, because this one time I found a penny, but the tail side was facing up (I'm very superstitious), and by the time I realizes that, I had already picked it up.

5 minutes later, a cyclist ran over my foot (it hurt like HELL for the next 2 days), and I was wearing flip flops!
M4sterDeb8er

Pro

My opponent really has no argument to rebutt here, she just made a declaration that pennies should be banned because she has had bad experiences with pennies.

Pennies are a fine coin, and they should not be halted in production just because of the bad experiences of my opponent.

Posted by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
The cost to mint a penny is currently two cents--

http://news.coinupdate.com...
Posted by M4sterDeb8er 4 years ago
M4sterDeb8er
Abraham Lincoln freed black people. Thomas Jefferson had sex with black people. Jefferson deserves his place on the nickel.
Posted by malcolmxy 4 years ago
malcolmxy
Didn't think it was worth mentioning that minting a penny costs $.04? Might have added to the "bad" side.

Pennies are neither good nor bad. They're simply unnecessary, as well as financially cumbersome for the government.

I can't believe that point was omitted.

The other one to make would have been that their existence is so heavily tied to the president whose face adorns them. People sure do love that Lincoln...put his face on the nickle, put an Eagle or something on the penny, and getting rid of them would be much simpler.
Vote Placed by puppyluvz 4 years ago
puppyluvz
tennis47M4sterDeb8erTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro more convincing.
Vote Placed by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
tennis47M4sterDeb8erTied
Reasons for voting decision: From the start, the choice of resolution that pennies are "bad" is a poor one given the arguments Con planned to make. A much better formulation would be that "America should stop minting pennies." Con failed to produce statistics that may have helped their case such as the cost of minting pennies, and Pro's argument that if pennies were gone, individuals would lose almost a nickel per transaction in round-off errors, as opposed to how they currently lose almost a penny per transaction as a result of round-off errors.. is compelling. Even if Con had won that point, this would only be an argument to stop using them as opposed to that they are objectively "bad". I award Pro "reliable sources" points because he is the only one who actually produced sources and they were reasonable.
Vote Placed by DoctorDeku 4 years ago
DoctorDeku
tennis47M4sterDeb8erTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro makes a poor argument from the get-go and fails to carry it out throughout the round. I end up voting pro on the principle that people would lose money from prices being rounded up.