lightingbolt50
lannan13

Pennies should stop being produced in the U.S.

lannan13

lightingbolt50

Pro

I think that pennies should stop being produced by the U.S. mint and taken out of circulation, similar to what Canada did. The penny costs more to make then it's worth, it's rarely actually used. It's a detriment to our economy.

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2-4: Arguments
Round 5: Closing statements.
lannan13

Con

I accept this debate and shall now await my opponent's opening arguments.
lightingbolt50

Pro

Well, all my up front arguments can be found here: https://www.youtube.com...

This video makes my points a lot clearer and more interesting than I can. Since I share all the points made in the video, refute what's said there and then we can do a actual debate.

lannan13

Con

I watched the video, but I do implore that pro actually types out his own arguments.

Contention 1: Penny is Useless?

In the video my opponent brings up states that the penny is useless. But here's an interesting thing. I actually find pennies and then use them at garage sales where it is easy to use and people do not have a problem with it.

Contention 2: Sales Tax

In today's world the sales tax is used and important in the US. Currently the sales tax varies across the US (http://salestax.avalara.com...) But where I live the sales tax is 7.3%. Let's say I go to McDonald's and buy a Dollar menu Cheeseburger. The total would be $1.07. Where I would have to pay with a dollar, a nickel, and 2 pennies. Or I could do a Dollar and a dime, but then McDonald's would need 3 pennies to return to me. A huge thing that the video my opponent is that the sales tax will be rounded up to the nearest 5 cents (at 3:09 in his video). This will cause prices to hike up and more people will be unable to pay for things. (http://coins.about.com...)

Contention 3: Nickel

Another key thing my opponent misses is that when the penny falls out of contention that the Nickel will cost more to make and the cycle will just continue to go on and on. The nickel costs 7.7 cents to make and when you do the math the US mint can make 5 pennies and still save more than making 1 Nickel. (http://coins.about.com...)
lightingbolt50

Pro

1. Well that's great, but I don't really care that you use pennies for garage sales. (Wait, garage sales are still a thing? Really?) Considering that we're thinking in terms of actual businesses and services.

2. It's just a 1 or 2 cent difference, I doubt that's much of a problem.

3. Hey, I don't like the nickel either, but lets be real here; it's impossible to think we can actually get rid of the nickel.
lannan13

Con

Contention 1: the Penny is Useless?

Yes, garage sales are still a thing. The average number of garage sales in the US per week is 165,000. The average cost of clothing is $0.59, CD's/DVD's $0.47, and household articles are $0.57. You see all of these things do not have a round number and you're own video depicted that that it would round these things up and thus costing more to the average Joe. (http://www.statisticbrain.com...)

Contention 2: Sales Tax

My opponent goes on to say that 1-2 cents is not much of a problem, but if that is true then Pro's own original point has been proven invalid. You see that Pro said that the cost of making a penny was .0126 cents and that's barely that much compared to the few cents that getting rid of the penny will cause. Please do not let this pass by.

Contention 3: The Nickel

My opponent's only argument here was that the nickel will be impossible to get rid off, but he does not actually offer up any evidence to defend his point. You see that currently the Nickel is worse than the penny and Pro does not attempt to defend this point so please extend this point across.
lightingbolt50

Pro

lightingbolt50 forfeited this round.
lannan13

Con

Please extend my arguments across.
lightingbolt50

Pro

lightingbolt50 forfeited this round.
lannan13

Con

I extend all of my points. Please vote con!
Posted by lightingbolt50 2 years ago
lightingbolt50
Conservative101, I've seen that video and in fact, it's that video that inspired me to make this debate.
Vote Placed by Actionsspeak 2 years ago
Actionsspeak
lightingbolt50lannan13Tied
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
lightingbolt50lannan13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro didn't argue anything. I don't waste my time watching videos on you tube. unless they are about uncovering the truth about sasquatch, or something.
Vote Placed by Defro 2 years ago
Defro
lightingbolt50lannan13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro loses in conduct because his argument in round 2 is just a video, which can also be considered plagiarism. Arguments go to Con because Pro forfeited the last two rounds and did not effectively refute Con's arguments, whereas Con did a great job opposing Pro. Sources also go to Con for actually providing sources.