Pentecostal (vs. Baptist)

Sir, I would like to challenge you to defend your position of being a Pentecostal Christian as supposed to just a basic King James only Bible believing (I guess you could say Baptist if you want to label it) Christian. If you accept you will defend the doctrines that Pentecostals hold (like "speaking in tongues") and explain why they are the correct things to do. I will attempt to disprove or discredit those doctrines as false or misinterpreted. The judges should be Christian or at least have an understanding enough of it to give an honest opinion as to which makes more sense. Are you ready?

2,000 Characters is not nearly enough space... I will post the scriptures and the readers will have to read it themselves...

In defense of, and to set the premise for Pentecostal belief, one should know that it began on the day of Pentecost, 50 days after Jesus ascended into heaven.

Acts 2:1-17

Speaking in tongues is part of the Spiritual gifts bestowed upon Christians, as a manifesting of The Holy Spirit that was given on the day of Pentecost.

1 Corinthians 12:1-11

If Tongues were no longer relevant, Why was there given instruction on how to limit them, instead of eliminating them?

1 Corinthians 14:26-

Again, If we were not to utilize this gifting, why does the Bible mention it more than once, and why are there instructions given on how to grow these gifts? (The questions are stated in traditional Hebrew fashion, with the implied answer being no.)

1 Corinthians 12:28-31

The Bible also uses the concept of tongues to teach about the true meaning of Love (Charity as translated by the KJV)

1 Corinthians 13:1-3

If the Gift of Tongues was irrelevant or unnecessary, than why has it been interwoven into other doctrines? Do people take this concept and make a fool out of themselves and God, Yes. That is why there was given clear instructions on how and when it was to be used, as well as, how to deal with people who are just acting out. (Tongues need to be followed up by their interpretation)

I understand and acknowledge that speaking in tongues is and has been a real thing according to the Gospel. However, people are being misled about what it actually is.

So what is speaking in tongues exactly and what is it's purpose?

Acts 2:2-7
And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

So what happened was: They were gathered around preaching the Gospel when they hear a sound from heaven like a great wind. The Holy Spirit comes upon them and they see something like cloven tongues of fire over them. They begin to preach again, however, now everybody is able to hear them preach the Gospel in their own native language (tongue). That is the miracle. The people were amazed at the fact that they could edify the Lord and preach the Gospel in all those different languages at once. They weren't amazed saying, "Hey, that's some cool gibberish! It must be of the Spirit!"
No, they had great evidence of something supernatural and it served a purpose (getting people saved).

1 Corinthians 14
He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

The Bible is clear that if nobody understands it it's worthless to the church.

Misled, no. Misinformed yes.
At Pentecost, The Holy Spirit took what was being said and translated it so that every man heard what was being said in his own language. The people were not amazed at all the languages they preached in but that each man heard it in their own language. No, one, man heard every language. But this is not the full extent of speaking in tongues.

What is speaking in Tongues?

1 Cor 14:2 2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

John 4:24 For God is Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Ephesians 2:18 For through him (Jesus) we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.

1 Cor 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels…(Heb 1:14 Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?)

2 Cor 5:17-18 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation

Tongues are a spiritual language given to those who believe (In Jesus) that we might be reconciled to God. So that we would have a means by which to make our hearts and minds known to him. The ack of speaking in tongues is to free our spirits to communicate directly with the Father.

What is it purpose in the Church?

1 Cor 14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

To attract the attention of unbelievers, showing that we are different. It takes hold of a man’s spirit, and when they are in the doors, the interpretation of tongues (the revelation of the spiritual unknown) grips their hearts and brings them to repentance
(I ran out of space but theres so much more)

I wasn't saying everybody heard all of the languages. I think you missed my points though.

1. everybody can understand it (otherwise it's worthless to the church)
2. it had a very supernatural feel to it, not second guessed
3. it had a purpose (getting people saved)

I could underline the word spirit thousands of times in verses but it has no meaning if you just take it out of context. Where in the Bible does it explicitly make mention of a heavenly or angelic language that we want to get access to? Would we not expect to have heard of this somewhere? Anywhere at all in the KJV...

See, this is how ALL false doctrine originates. You take a random auxiliary verse, don't use it in it's context, but instead apply it to something that you take and run with. 1 Cor 14 is clearly stating that what Pentecostals are known for is unbiblical. It pretty much says that at best you are speaking with God if nobody understands you. However, if you are speaking with God at least YOU would know what is being said. Sadly, most Pentecostals even admit that they themselves don't know what they said. Therefore, not only is it worthless to the church but it was for naught altogether. There is no way to know that person isn't blaspheming God instead of praising. I should also mention that speaking in tongues is only 1 of many gifts. Why cling to that one when we should be praying for the gift of prophecy?

Do you believe the primary application of 1 Cor 13:1 to be: Hey, you know there's a heavenly language? You wanna get in on this? No, the only point of the whole thing is to say your much speaking of good is all for nothing if you don't even have charity.

Why be associated with a church that has charlatans making claims that can be disproven? Having outbursts that are worthless (and could be sinister in origin) has no place in a true church. Nor convulsing around on the floor as if demon-possessed. Why do these strange things happen at Pentecostal churches? It is a concerning issue.

2000 characters is not enough to provide all the scripture in full context, I would hope that we read the entire passage before and after along with multiple translations to get an understanding as (I assume) we are not all old English majors and the language can be confounding. I tried to provide a quick guide as to what tongues are, not underline random words and with respect to Con, I have used the KJV even though it is less than ideal for this kind of study. Con seems to be stuck at Pentecost. That was an isolated manifestation of the gift of tongues and an uncommon one. As I tried to show, Tongues is a form of communication that takes place in the spirit, It is not meant for everyone to understand, it is spoken directly to God, the interpretation is for everyone else.

“1 Cor 14 is clearly stating that what Pentecostals are known for is unbiblical”
This is false

Unbiblical: contrary to or unsanctioned by the Bible [1]

1 Cor 14:18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all

1 Cor 14:26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

1 Cor 14:39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

Tongues in the church need to be followed by interpretation; this is how we know that it is the Spirit of God moving thought the service and not something malicious. If a word in Tongues is not interpreted, the speaker needs to check himself to ensure it was a moving of The Holy Spirit and not himself. That is why instructions was given (1 Cor 14:28). Paul was big on prophecy, but not everyone has all the spiritual gifts (1 Cor 12) and as a body of believers we are to come together each with our own talents as one. Do not think that because some have lost the meaning that it is irrelivant, All the gifts are required (1 Cor 12:12-30)

Thank you

Posted by BaxterDebate 10 months ago
71 views, hopefully someone took something away from this =P
Posted by Soldier_4Christ 11 months ago
this sucks... not even 1 vote...
Posted by Soldier_4Christ 11 months ago
My main concern would be the speaking in tongues and making scenes at church. That's what Pentecostals are pretty much associated with. I'm not gonna say there aren't some solid teachings going on because there are. I could debate you on the pre-trib thing as I would present the case for a post-trib pre-wrath rapture. Whenever you want is fine with me.
Posted by BaxterDebate 11 months ago
So you know, not all Pentecostals hold to the same beliefs. I can accept your debate, but I can only offer you my own Pentecostal beliefs, the biggest difference being, I do not believe in the replacement theology; Israel and the Jews are still Gods chosen people and the church (gentile) have been grafted into the tribe of Judah through Jesus Christ. I also believe in a pre-tribulation rapture. I am sure there is more that I hold to that may contradict what is mainstream Pentecostal but I have my reasons, (bible based) for my beliefs.
Also I can not begin until Monday (I already lost one debate to time limitations.)
If this is acceptable than I look forward to learning something new from you.