bookwormbill111
Bboo

People Exist

bookwormbill111

Pro

People exist...need I say more?
Bboo

Con

As you, the voters, might think, I am stupid for taking this debate up, but before you vote please read and consider my points.

Ok, for all we know, we do not exist. We could be some made up thoughts or a video game of a different intelligent life form. So I think yes, my opponent should say more. So that we can make this an interesting debate.
bookwormbill111

Pro

I admire my opponent in taking up this challenge. Only a genius (or a fool) would accept this challenge. I warn you, this debate may get very intense. We shall see.

My opponent said: "For all we know, we do not exist." He is saying that we may or may not exist.

"We could be made up thoughts or a video game of a different intelligent life form." He is saying that we might just be a figment of someone else's imagination.

In Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary, EXIST is defined as thus: 'to have real being whether material or spiritual.'

My opponent said we may be 'made up thoughts.' My definition said that to exist, you can be either physical or mental. Made up thoughts would be considered mental, thus my opponent agreed with my argument on the case of definition.

Again, I complement my opponent on his choice to debate this topic. Also, I apologize if my opponent is not a he, but a she. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I await my opponent's rebuttal.
Bboo

Con

I can not think of anything else to say, so I submit, you win.
bookwormbill111

Pro

Oh for the love. You have nothing? This isn't a debate, it's me talking and you just sitting there playing the devil's advocate. You have to have SOMETHING to say? Anything? Even if it's you rambling.

Well, to sum it all up: People exist.
I'm pretty sure my opponent (as admirable as he/she is), doesn't even want to debate.

Vote Pro.

Thank You.
Bboo

Con

Bboo forfeited this round.
Posted by Tja2 8 years ago
Tja2
To: RoyLatham

As I see this topic it would be a philosophical question and therefore worth making a debate out of it. The topic has many options to quote a philosophers or just make your own view on the world. It is a great question and belongs to the same questions as: 'What is time?', 'What is Life?', 'What is the meaning of life?'.
I see why there could be a logic way of seeing this debate, but the tempting part is to create a uncertainty about the fact that 'everything is real'.

Good luck Debating :)
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 8 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
and here I was expecting Con to go nominalism, instead of, well, crap. :)
Posted by Maya9 8 years ago
Maya9
"Ok, for all we know, we do not exist."

What? If we don't exist, we wouldn't be in a position to know anything in the first place. This is just silly.
Posted by Bboo 8 years ago
Bboo
I am going to take up this debate because i am bored and i have some ideas on what to say
Posted by RoyLatham 8 years ago
RoyLatham
I'm curious as to why this is considered a good debate topic. There have been a string of these on the site. I'm guessing that it because it is pure baloney, and many debaters feel more comfortable minimizing the possibility of any trace of factual content polluting an otherwise clean debate. In other words, it does not require a knowledge base beyond the art of baloney slicing. But that's just a guess. What's the charm?
Posted by zach12 8 years ago
zach12
lol. I think it would be pretty hard to lose this debate. If anyone was stupid enough to accept it
Posted by Tja2 8 years ago
Tja2
Im really considering to accept this challenge, just don't think my argumnents are convinving enough. Good luck any contesters.
Posted by bookwormbill111 8 years ago
bookwormbill111
thanx :) i try
Posted by zach12 8 years ago
zach12
wow nice debate.
Vote Placed by bookwormbill111 8 years ago
bookwormbill111
bookwormbill111BbooTied
Vote Placed by MewxVenus 8 years ago
MewxVenus
bookwormbill111BbooTied