Cutiepuffle
Chest

People Under 18 Should Be Banned From The Internet

Cutiepuffle
Started: 5/22/2014 Category: Technology

Cutiepuffle

Con

Rules:
1. You may not rebut anything in the same round.
2. Round 1 is acceptance only.
3. No swearing.
4. Pictures are discouraged, but if you must, keep it small.
5. Wikipedia is a valid source.

If you break any rules, you forfeit the debate.

Voter Rules:
1. You may not take off spelling and grammar because a debater quotes a spelling/grammar mistake an opponent made.
2. Read the ENTIRE debate before voting.

I will be taking the side of allowing people under 18 to be on the Internet.
Chest

Pro

Thank you for this debate. I believe in my Opinion Poll I state that I thought it was not a bad idea to ban kids from the internet, not that it should necessarily be done. I am under eighteen, so it would be quite unfortunate if something like this occurred. I will simply be arguing from the point of logic, and not necessarily conviction. I think it would be impossible to enact such a band anyway.

Just to be clear:
People: The human race.
Under: Below, in this case an age.
18: The commencement of one's nineteenth year of living; usually signifies adulthood.
Should Be Banned: Disallowed access to permanently, (Usually with consequences).
From The Internet: All aspects of the World Wide Web.

I will be arguing from the perspective that, indeed, all persons under eighteen should not be allowed on the internet. I look forward to an interesting debate.
Cutiepuffle

Con

Cutiepuffle forfeited this round.
Chest

Pro

Seeing as how my opponent has forfeited without reason, I see no reason to argue for my stance.
Cutiepuffle

Con

I would like to aplogize, as over this weekend I have been busy.

Argument 1: Educational Value
Rather than having to search libraries for information, students can now quickly search on the Internet for information in reports and projects making it more convenient. Books have to be shared and can only be used by one person at a time, while websites can be used by any amount of people. Also a library may not have enough books or can have books be displaced or lost. You can't misplace the internet. Sites like Google Drive allow students to collaborate more effectively, rather than having to meet up. The internet gathers new INFORM quicker than books . Take an essay on the Arab Spring I had to do a few months back as an example. This, being a rather recent event, had hardly any information in book form, while the internet was flooded with information. Also when you share your essays in Google Drive with your teacher, you cannot say you lost the essay. It also helps with searching card catalogs. It is much easier to search a keyword rather than having to go to a section and browse book titles.

Argument 2: The Internet Can Help Honing Skills Earlier
Debate.org is a site where you formally debate opponents, a good skill to have later on in life. Yo're not limited to one subject, so you can pick any subject that is of your liking. If a person under 18 uses this site, their debating skills will be better than a person who may have not had practice debating. Sites like TypeRacer help increase typing speed which can help if you use a computer for your job. Making videos and creating websites allow you to show your creativity.

Argument 3: Looking up Things
Whenever you have to find out the meaning of something, you either have to ask, use a dictionary, or look it up on the internet. Using a dictionary is a slow process and people may be busy or not always know about the word. Sometimes you need to find directions or a company phone number for your parents, and it may be more conveeni
ent for you to look it up.

Argument 4: Communication
E-mail and social networking are easy ways for friends to stay in touch even when separated by distance or time. This means kids have more time to be social and get to know each other. For younger kids, sites like Club Penguin allow an ad-free, safe enviornment for kids to communicate with others. By doing this, friends far apart can still talk with each other.

Chest

Pro

In most debates a forfeit would mean automatic disqualification, however, I will overlook this and present my arguments. Due to the fact that my opponent used no references, I will assume it is okay for me to do the same.

Contention 1: It Exposes Them to Explicit Material
No matter how safe you try to keep a child, they will always see things not meant for young eyes on the internet. Only with a complete ban would it be possible to restrict them from seeing graphic or explicit material.

Contention 2: It Encourages Low Intellect and Low Fitness
Before the internet, children read books, played game, and did many outdoor activities. Now many children spend hours playing games such as ROBLOX, Minecraft, or on social media, such as Facebook or Twitter. They soon become intellectually ignorant and physically unfit.

Contention 3: They Do Not Have the Maturity
How often have you seen people from the 7-12 raging, flame-warring, or simply spamming and asking stupid questions? I assume if you spend any time on forums of chats, you have seen it. On certain games, you can literally tell someones age just by the way they talk. They very often get hated, simply because of the stupid things they say or do. They cannot handle the complex social arena of adults.

Conclusion:
Thank you for replying Cutiepuffle, albeit late. I did not thoroughly research this topic, therefore, my contentions may be slightly weak. Back to you Con.
Cutiepuffle

Con

Ok, sorry, I thought I added a rule about forfeiting twice in a row resulting in disqualification, but I must've overlooked.

Browsers like Google Chrome have extensions for a website whitelist. By using this, it is possible to block out most bad things on the internet. Internet or no internet, there will be things a kid will either see or hear from a friend. The only way to truly protect your kid from everything is to lock him in a dark room for his entire childhood. Parents should monitor younger children while they are on the internet. By the age of 10, most kids should be able to handle anything that comes up. If they are troubled, they can speak to an adult.

Before the internet, children read books.

Before the internet, there was TV and video games. I'm pretty sure most children are going to be using those more often than reading. There are good things the internet helps you with. Minecraft expands your creativity and tests your resourcefulness.

They soon become intellectually ignorant...
As I have shown earlier, the internet does help with education by allowing new possibilities for students to learn and enjoy class more. Projects are more entertaining and interactive than worksheets and essays.

They very often get hated, simply because of the stupid things they say or do.

And they mature from it. When they get hated, they most likely will change their attitude and mature up as time goes on so they won't be hated. This rule is most evident in web forums like NinBuzz and SuperSkarmory.

They cannot handle the complex social arena of adults.

Usually sites like YouTube, web forums where you'd actually probably see a kid on, and online games are dominated by the 10-19 demographic. 7/9 of those ages aren't adults. Adults usually have work and are too busy to be on the internet for much social activities, and when they do, they usually join adult dominated communities.

Chest

Pro

I will commence my rebuttals. I will be doing a sentence-by sentence commentary.

Rebuttal to Contention 1:
The library is free, and encourages one to develop their searching skills. After their mind becomes dulled by simply being able to search online for anything, they will not be prepared to face adulthood, or the grocery store. Not everyone will want the same book. Indeed, files on the internet are easily displaced or destroyed due to crashes, deletions, hacking, viruses, e.t.c. Students not meeting face-to-face causes a lack of social skills. Not sure if you have heard of a newspaper, some are published every day; besides, there is also the news channel. If a kid cannot keep track of an essay, should he be on the internet?

Rebuttal to Contention 2:
Debate.org is fun, but nothing like real life debating. In real life many of your answers must come on the fly, and you do not have three days to give your argument. There are other factors involved like the audience, the other debator, e.t.c.

Rebuttal to Contention 3:
Yet you do not have experience with the physical world and alphabetization. You may one day break your phone and computer and have to call the repairman. What then? O.o

Rebuttal to Contention 4:
You forget that cyber-bullying is a major problem on social media. They can text, but can they talk? Do these children and teenagers know how to deal with complex emotions and feelings? No. They text: 'wats up wid u', and the like. Horrible grammar is a great reason why social media is bad.

Conclusion:
Thanks Cutiepuffle. No doubt either no one will vote or you will win due to popular opinion. Non-Serious debate though... Kind of a nice diversion.
Posted by revweb 2 years ago
revweb
sorry that should have read "they" not "he" as I have no reason to assume that pro is male.
Posted by revweb 2 years ago
revweb
I actually agree with pro (and would vote if I ever get my confirmation text from debate.org)

Personally to fully go with pro the proposed statement would need to be people under 18 should be banned from unsupervised use of the internet, much like a PG Film kind of thing.

Nice points, I also liked that pro went for a standpoint which on the face of it was not obvious basically pro arguing on something he clearly actually wouldn't like to be introduced.
Posted by Chest 3 years ago
Chest
Haha, I am. If you read my terms of acceptance, I clarified my position.
Posted by SebUK 3 years ago
SebUK
Weird that on Pro's profile it says he is 16...
Vote Placed by Cold-Mind 3 years ago
Cold-Mind
CutiepuffleChestTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made semi-rebuttals, but he made no arguments and while he had BoP as well.
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 3 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
CutiepuffleChestTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both good, education wins bc more in Con.