brittcb4
socialpinko

People are born good

Con Tied Pro
Reasons for your voting decision - Required

brittcb4

Con

Man was not born good. Newly born babies do not think of anything else, but themselves and their well being. They wish to survive, but can not do that so they depend on their parents for nurturing. This in result will give the children admiration for their parents who have helped them survive, which can be mistaken for compassion. Compassion is learned later on when humans begin to see the value of life and develop sympathy.

Philosopher Thomas Hobbes argued that people are born evil.

Can you define good, a good person?
socialpinko

Pro

As my opponent did not define what it is to be good I will take the liberty to do that now.

Good: Being positive or desirable in nature[1]

According to this definition, someone may be either born good or bad. Like a baby might be born with birth defects and thus not fit the definition of 'good'(desirable in nature). However, a baby may be born completely healthy and thus be born 'good'.

My opponent generalized claim that all babies are born bad does not take into account what the definition of good is. I contend that some babies are born good and some are not but certainly not all babies are born bad.

[1]http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
brittcb4

Con

Okay, with your definition what arguments do you have to support that people are born good? Also, good can be viewed as subjective so how do we know what it is. What is good for you may be bad for me vise versa. I could agree that people are both born bad and good if you provided me with argument as evidence. Also, are you saying that people are both born good or bad or that the majority of people are born good. I know for fact that people are born bad. People are born with mutations that lead to things such as sociopath-ism etc. etc. What I wonder is if people are born good, how can a newborn comprehend between right and wrong? Do you think that people are born with a blank slate tabula rasa as John Locke said. That are environments and surrounding influence us to be good or bad. This is where the nature vs nurture comes to mind.
socialpinko

Pro

//"Okay, with your definition what arguments do you have to support that people are born good?"//
//"good can be viewed as subjective so how do we know what it is."//

Even though you have the burden of proof I have shown that with my definition of 'good', a child can be born 'good' if it is born healthy. Also, your point that 'good' can be viewed as subjective helps to show my point. If goodness is subjective then my guess is as good as yours and if I view children to be good at the moment of birth then that in itself negates the resolution.

//"Also, are you saying that people are both born good or bad or that the majority of people are born good."//

While the majority of people born are not disease ridden I would say that the majority of people are born 'good'.

//"People are born with mutations that lead to things such as sociopath-ism etc. etc."//

This proves that there are exceptions. However you did not state that some people are not born good or even that the majority of people are not born good. You stated in round 1:

//"Man was not born good."//

This implies that all people are not born good and as my definition of good, which my opponent did not dispute, goodness is subjective and thus if I believe that a baby is desirable in nature then it is and my opponent's resolution is negated.

The resolution is negated.
Vote Pro.
brittcb4

Con

brittcb4 forfeited this round.
socialpinko

Pro

Extend my arguments. Vote Pro.
brittcb4

Con

brittcb4 forfeited this round.
socialpinko

Pro

Again, extend my arguments and because my opponent has waited until the last round and has not responded to my refutations, I urge for voters to Vote Pro.
brittcb4

Con

brittcb4 forfeited this round.
socialpinko

Pro

I obviously would have liked to debate this topic more with my opponent but he has forfeited the last three rounds. My opponent brought a few arguments in negation of the resolution and I responded to and refuted these arguments. My opponent did not back his contentions up and therefore I urge a Pro vote.
Posted by Dmetal 5 years ago
Dmetal
Are you arguing that since humans are not born good; therefore, they are born evil? And I don't agree with your definition of good as a skilled behavior. If you clarify, I might accept.
Posted by brittcb4 5 years ago
brittcb4
A good person is an individual grounded in wisdom adn vurtue. Goodness can never be fully articulated and can never be turned into a set of rules that can be mechanically applied. Morality is a skilled behaviour.

Babies do not have the capacity to know what is good and bad. Their surrounding and environments shape who they are. Like John Locke's tabula rasa (blank slate)
Posted by ReformedArsenal 5 years ago
ReformedArsenal
I hate it when people instigate a debate in which they do not have the burden of proof. Second string move at best.
Posted by petersaysstuff 5 years ago
petersaysstuff
Can you give me a definition of good?
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
brittcb4socialpinkoTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by quarterexchange 5 years ago
quarterexchange
brittcb4socialpinkoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited
Vote Placed by boredinclass 5 years ago
boredinclass
brittcb4socialpinkoTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
brittcb4socialpinkoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro wins the slippery semantic argument. Co forfeit loses conduct.
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Ore_Ele
brittcb4socialpinkoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeits.