deliriousdays
socratits

People are more happy if they have higher intelligence.

deliriousdays

Pro

One can be more happier if they are above average rather than below average.

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Argument
Round 3: Rebuttal
Round 4: Closing statements

When I say "above average," I mean intelligence wise. In the 99th percentile. Below average are people who have an IQ of <100. If you don't like IQ, then people who have to work harder than normal people for the same things in academic places.
socratits

Con

I accept thanks.
deliriousdays

Pro

Thank you for joining. :)

I believe people who are smarter tend to be more happy. Research says that if you are happy, you have a greater chance at being more smart.[1] Being in a pleasant mood will likely help your mental capabilities. However, there is a downside. People who are below average are frequently seen more happier than their intelligent counterparts. I believe that the less intelligent people decide using their positive energy on more trivial things. Things that are finite. Whereas knowledge is infinite, so by intelligent people using their intellect on accomplishing things that requires critical thinking, they are becoming smarter.

Their happy mood may cause them to be "in the zone," or (its more official definition) flow. Flow is complete immersion in an activity.[2] While it's rather rare to achieve flow in a trivial conversation, talking about the complexities of life may cause flow occur. After you complete the task, you will likely experience either mastery or improved performance, both of with fuel your self-esteem. If you think positively about yourself, you will feel happier.

Lastly, I believe that smarter people will most likely stay in college longer. A study shows that people who earned a Doctorate degree will make around $25,000 more dollars than a person who drops out after high school.[3] With more money, you will likely not have to face poverty or money issues. With that kind of stability in life, and with a job that is appropriately challenging, I believe that the smarter you are, the more happy you are.

[1]http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
[2]http://psychology.about.com...
[3]http://education-portal.com...
socratits

Con

Thank you and I want to start of saying that Pro has to prove that smarter people are happier. For me, I have to negate his assertions to win.

Research says that if you are happy, you have a greater chance at being more smart.[1]

I don't see how this supports your argument anymore than it supports mine. It reads more as a statement. Are you suggesting that below average people are always sad? Or are sad more often? I am going off of this by your last paragraph about money (I will come back to this.) In terms of sadness, I do not think that we can find an scientific support for that poorer people are sad more often than richer folks and how it correlates to intelligence. However, one can argue that poorer people feel more stress than their rich counterparts. I will admit that poorer people feel more stressed on a daily basis, however, it does not indicate one's intelligence. For example, I could be a research associate supporting 4 kids or a single (no spouse), air traffic controller. Both professions make a decent amount of money. Both professions require some form of higher education. Yet, one would argue that the research associate feels more stress, but can we conclude that the associate is less intelligent than the air traffic controller?

People who are below average are frequently seen more happier than their intelligent counterparts. I believe that the less intelligent people decide using their positive energy on more trivial things.

The debate is on happiness. Seems like you conceded to my argument. Why would it be wrong for someone to enjoy doing something trivial? Would it be wrong for me to find happiness in watching paint dry because it's a form of meditation for me? Would it be wrong for Bill Gates to enjoy fishing? Your argument would say its wrong because hes not contributing to society. In a more extreme case, you are arguing against having hobbies. Hobbies are taken up for enjoyment, not to use one's mental capacity to improve the world, of course that can be a byproduct in certain circumstances.

By the way, I didn't include the full paragraph because that last sentence is irrelevant. You essentially stated that smarter people partake in more critical thinking. How does this affect happiness more than doing something relaxing?

Their happy mood may cause them to be "in the zone," or (its more official definition) flow. Flow is complete immersion in an activity.[2 While it's rather rare to achieve flow in a trivial conversation, talking about the complexities of life may cause flow occur. After you complete the task, you will likely experience either mastery or improved performance, both of with fuel your self-esteem. If you think positively about yourself, you will feel happier.

You are reversing your argument. You are stating that happier people are more productive. Irrelevant to the debate of smarter people are happier.

Secondly, your last sentence also holds true for people of lesser intelligence. Going back to the watching paint try scenario, if I am able to guess 99% of the time how long it takes a certain paint to dry, I would be pretty impressed with myself too. Thus, raising my self-esteem.

[3] With more money, you will likely not have to face poverty or money issues. With that kind of stability in life, and with a job that is appropriately challenging, I believe that the smarter you are, the more happy you are.

To rebut this last statement, I will state what I believe causes happiness. I believe that in order to be happy, your personal ideologies and prefences have to align with society. This means that it isn't based on intelligence alone. One could be mentally challenged and still enjoy life for further refrences, ask a Downs Syndrome kid. This also falls in line with people being manipulated to be perceived as right or happy. Examples are Hitler and Germany and the Cultural Revolution in China. Hitler convinced millions that killing was right and Mao Tse-Dong convinced BILLIONS of people that communism is the best form of government (I am not taking stands on this, just using it as an example.)

Returning to your argument, if one considers my argument, then the happiness is all based on circumstance. It's realitive to one's opinions. While one might see it as a hardship, someone else might see it as a way to build character or as a stepping stone to obtain enlightment. Look at monks of any religion. They believe that they their suffering on Earth would lead to enlightment. Would we consider them unhappy or stupid?
deliriousdays

Pro

Thanks for replying. My mind thinks a lot differently than most people, so things that make total sense to me tend not to others . . . :D

My mindset is this: anyone can become smart by being more productive. Not with talking, sleeping, or eating. Things that challenge oneself. It forces the person to think outside the box. Once they become productive, they reach flow which enhances their abilities. Possession in greater abilities leads to higher intelligence and more opportunities. With more options, abilities, and intelligence, I believe that one can be more happy with these three things.

And hobbies? I believe I may have accidentally implied hobbies are useless. Apologies. Hobbies are fine, but they aren't measured to find intelligence. You could the smartest guy in the world, but if you don't contribute anything, how can you people more happy than the people who do?

I do believe that if one contributes to society, will find themselves happier that the society isn't going to collapse or other reasons. I don't mean buy just contributing by picking up trash on a sidewalk. Try using your intelligence to convince others of way they can recycle. Adding recycling bin on every corner. Installing trash cans in cars. This much more effective than just picking trash because you are not stopping someone from doing the same thing tomorrow.

I've noticed two types of being happy: finite happiness and infinite happiness. Perhaps I should have said this earlier. Infinite happiness (happiness that will not change easily) is much more effective than finite happiness (happiness that is easily changed). Below average people feel finite happiness. Intelligent people feel infinite happiness. What if the below average person has enough money as an intelligent person? The below average will most likely use the money to fit their needs: finite happiness. Intelligent people, as they are in the 99th percentile, will be likely to use the money to fix problems or enhance others experiences in this world: infinite happiness.

In the last round, I did mention below average people tend to do trivial things. How can they have infinite happiness for changing things so insignificant? What about followers of religion? I hear that monks like suffering to bring enlightenment. Doing so makes them happy. I do think they are happy, but smarter people are more happy. Anyone can be happy. In any different way. But the people who go above and beyond feel more happiness than others.
socratits

Con

Yes, you can be happy if you strive to be your best, but what if one is satisified with what he have already? You failed to consider people who want to live a simple life. A great example is urban vs rural life. Metropolitian areas provide a vast number of resources in comparision to rural life. By your argument then, how would you argue for those people wanting to live in the countryside?

Youre confusing your own debate topic. It's about happiness. Youre arguing for smarter people being more happy, while I argue for people can be happy if their goals falls in line with society. Aka, one does not have to be smart to be happy. Just because a person doesnt contribute something meaninful to society doesnt mean hes not happy. Plus, how would one define, "contributing anything?"

Digressing from the actual argument. Not gonna support digression.

Not the point of this debate, although I think this is what you meant when you first phrased this debate. If you want, we can start over with this new resolution.

In the last round, I did mention below average people tend to do trivial things. How can they have infinite happiness for changing things so insignificant? What about followers of religion? I hear that monks like suffering to bring enlightenment. Doing so makes them happy. I do think they are happy, but smarter people are more happy.

Anyone can be happy. In any different way. But the people who go above and beyond feel more happiness than others

Thats a bold argument to make. How would you deem person A is happier than person B? Just because one contributed to society means that they're happier? Moreover, you refuted your own argument by saying that anyone can be happy. I guess I've done my work well to convince PRO himself that he is wrong. :D
deliriousdays

Pro

deliriousdays forfeited this round.
socratits

Con

extended. opponent decides to forfeit once again.
Posted by LaughingRiddle 2 years ago
LaughingRiddle
Dumb people go around doing whatever they want and aren't smart enough to worry about the consequences or issues of the world.

Smart people are in positions of responsibility and are constantly stressing about something they foresee being a problem.

Ignorance is said to be bliss. Ignorance is for the dim-witted.