kingquestion
DrewMcD

People are unfairly prejudiced against clowns.

kingquestion

Pro

I was afraid of clowns-when I was six for Pete's sake! I mean, come on, when people on forums trash talk people who just want to bring you joy and laughter. Come on, have some respect for one of the world's most benevolent professions. Granted, there may be some human default instincts going on here. Psychologists suspect that it's instinctive for people to fear individuals that disguise their face because a person who did so could have malicious intent. This may explain why coulrophobia is so widespread.
DrewMcD

Con

I accept your debate. This seems very interesting... Good luck!
I feel as if people aren't prejudice against them, I just feel like it is a psychological trigger like you stated. Most kids are afraid to sit next to Santa. Why would you be afraid of Santa?! He's a jolly old man who gives you the things you want! Yet kids still cry every time they have to go up and sit on his lap. It's not prejudice, it's just a natural reaction for many kids. Besides, clowns are different than what you usually see. They stand out. The make up, the over the top antics, the costume, everything about a clown is different than what kids are use to.
kingquestion

Pro

Considering I am not a psychologist, I do not know. You may Be right, I may be right. I just do not know. However, maybe its because the makeup clowns wear is too extreme.
DrewMcD

Con

Considering I'm taking psychology and want to major in that, I know a bit. However, I'm not fully educated. That is why you and I both can look it up on the Internet. On the Internet I looked up "psychological reason to what causes fear" and I found this article. In the article it states:
"A potential for pain, or an unrecognizable event, causes fear".
The unrecognizable event could be a birthday party or a circus where a clown would be. A clown is so much different than everyday life, sticks out like a sore thumb. The antics the clown is doing is so unusual, so strange, and so "unrecognizable".
(Website http://www.effective-mind-control.com... )
"The clowns make up is too extreme" was something I was trying to state in my first round and above in this round. Kids are used to pretty isolated and secure locations. They aren't exposed to things so different and bizarre. It's different, it's unknown, and people fear the unknown. If you have to enter somewhere dark without any light, wouldn't you be afraid? Of course, you've never been here before. That's exactly how the kids feel seeing the clowns. Therefore, the reaction of fear is perfectly normal and understandable, not unfair prejudice.
kingquestion

Pro

kingquestion forfeited this round.
DrewMcD

Con

I'm sadden to see my opponent didn't rebuttal my claim. However, I will post my final round arguments.

A phobia can be developed by a traumatic event. If you are scared by a clown than you will most likely end up developing Coulrophobia. However, that is not the only way to develop a phobia.
Simply seeing someone else fear a clown can cause a fear in yourself. Once you see someone else scared of it, you start associating it will fear, and start seeing all the negatives in it. For example, even watching r a movie like "IT" and seeing the actors be afraid can spark Coulrophobia.
My point is, a fear for something does not just happen. Something must trigger that fear. Either
1: you were afraid of the clown
Or
2:someone else was.
If it is the 1st one, that's an understandable reason to fear clowns, and is not unfair prejudice.
If it is the 2nd, that's also an understandable reason. If you are walking with your friend around your neighborhood and you see a loose dog running at you. Your friend freaks out and sprints away, are you going to be afraid too? Of course, your friends fear caused you fear also, and now you fear the dog. You also fear it as you don't know about the dog, just like the children meeting a clown at a birthday party for the first time will be afraid as they know nothing about the clown.
As I stated before, it is NOT unfair prejudice and it perfectly natural. Vote con!
Posted by GoOrDin 2 years ago
GoOrDin
"Why doesn't everyone love Clowns? There will be no end to the age of clowns! We will conquer, we will divide - and then we will piece you back together like a balloon."
Posted by GoOrDin 2 years ago
GoOrDin
The age of clowns is over. It is not unfair prejudices. they are aware of the social outlook. As I am not against clowns and enjoy their presence and performance. I say this as asking clowns admit the environmental conflicts they have put themselves into. I am pro clown and anti prejudices, but I am a very serious person when it comes to technical issues.