FanboyMctroll
Nanubot

People do not change

Nanubot has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Debating Period

FanboyMctroll

Pro

Contrary to many beliefs people do not change over time. That same bully who tormented you on the playground is still a bully 40 years later he just does it in an office, law firm or other corporate setting or junk yard or wherever he is now.

People quit smoking but they always end up going back, they say they have changed but it's only a matter of time before they relapse, the alcoholics with their AA meetings, they only keep track of how long they have been sober to see if they can beat their own record from another time, before they fall of the wagon.

Criminals will always be criminals, what is the recidivism rate at 89%?? When you leave jail they say, "See you in a week or month"

People want to believe that they can change but in reality they will always go back to their old self. Look at wife beaters, how many times do they promise it will never happen again. You can't change the characteristics of a person, that's just the way they are. I know people like to say, well I changed since high school, no not really you are still the same person, you just have more life experience but the core person inside you is still the same. A bully will always be a bully, an honest person will always be honest, a jealous person will always be jealous. An addict will always be addicted.

People don't change
Nanubot

Con

People do change over time. What you are doing are making generalizations against humanity. People do and can change. Just because people don't change doesn't mean everybody doesn't change. Everyone with free will has the right to change. You and me, we have minds. We can change. We do things based on what we tell ourselves. Some people just don't change, but that's their way, not the way of every human being on this earth. Criminals will not always be criminals. Bullies will not always be bullies.

I am not denying that some people don't change, but the keyword is 'don't.' While it may be hard to change ourselves, it is possible. As long as we have free will over ourselves, we can change. It's just a matter if we want to or not. I may simply be shouting into an empty bucket that is fixed on the undying thought that all people cannot change, but then again.

Everyone can change. Sometimes, people just don't choose to.
FanboyMctroll

Pro

Everyone born is different in some ways, some people while they are kids are very shy, some love the attention or are great at guest speaking and eventually become motivational speakers. Parenting is also a huge factor in child development. People from broken or dysfunctional families do grow up damaged at times. My argument is that each and everyone of us has a certain character and that character does not change over time. If you have an addictive personality you will probably become addicted to something for life such as drugs, gambling etc. People who enjoy bullying do not all of a sudden wake up one morning and bring in a gift basket to work for their co-workers.

Peoples personalities do not change and based on the personality each person will stay that way for the rest of their life. Contrary to what people will say, they do not change, someone who is overweight and all of a sudden decides they will become skinny and join a gym and lose all the weight, in 5 months they quit the gym and are back to shoveling big Mac's again.

People like to talk about changing but they always revert back to their old self. Everyone will say "well that's not me, I changed", really because that promise you made to yourself and then bragged about changing last year where is it, you are back to being the same. Just like a wife beater telling his wife that he loves her and will never do it again. Are you going to believe him, a lot do and stay and get beat up more or killed, the smart ones leave because they know he is not changing.
Nanubot

Con

Your argument, again, is invalid, as everyone can change. People aren't 'born' in certain ways. When you were a baby boy, you didn't know crap about the outside world and how to react to it. Once you got older, you molded yourself into your own person. That's change.

'People who enjoy bullying do not all of a sudden wake up one morning and bring in a gift basket to work', again, generalizations. You cannot say that when referring to ALL bullies.

People don't stay what they are FOREVER due to their personalities. People change. Don't try to tell people that they don't have the power to change themselves and their attitude. Yes, some people choose not to change, but a big part of your rhetoric is generalization. We all go through changes, big or small. You sometimes don't realize it. Do not lie to yourself when you tell yourself in the mirror 'You cannot change. What you are is what you are forever.'

Everybody can change. You can change how you look at your grades. You can change how you act with people. You can change how you speak, how you write, your entire attitude can change.

Very few people can say that they were the same person when they were 50 and when they were 10 years old.

Next round I will go into further rebuttals.
FanboyMctroll

Pro

People are all talk, they all say they will change but they don't. Everyone wants to think optimistically but in the end they settle into their comfort zone which is always the same, you can argue for Tony Robbins or a few celebrities who turned their lives around but for most people, things do not change. This is why gym membership goes way up in January after the holiday season because everyone feels guilty about over eating during the holidays so everyone gets on this kick about losing weight and staying healthy but by middle of April all those people who joined have quit the gym.

You can refer to the small percentage of people that are the exception and change and you might think you are special and can change but for most of the society that is not true, I'm discussing the majority of people, the majority also voted in Trump and everyone is bitching about it but majority like Trump, so you can argue your futile few and say you are special and you don't belong to that group and generalizations and blah blah blah because you don't want to be part of the majority, and you have changed, but if I asked your parents how you were as a kid and now they would say he is still the same person. People like routine and they don't like change, change makes people uncomfortable and they will make any excuse not to change, example I'm dying of lung cancer but I will still have a smoke because I'm really craving one. I'm dying of liver cirrhosis but I'm still going to have that drink because I'm celebrating tonight.
Posted by jonahofdeath 1 week ago
jonahofdeath
Personalities are completely nurtured based on your society and how you grew up... that being you can be nurtured out of a personality trait, and that is evidence of change.
Posted by FanboyMctroll 1 week ago
FanboyMctroll
People change careers and friends but their PERSONALITY doesn't change, a nerd in school is probably an IT Manager at Dell, a jock is now coaching some team or playing a sport somewhere, a slutty girl in high school is probably strung out on crack at some brothel right now, a drama student is now an actor

It takes a certain type of person to be a bully (be mean, no feelings for others) that person is probably bullying his co-workers or employees right now
Posted by liam2002 1 week ago
liam2002
People grow, that's change
Posted by vi_spex 1 week ago
vi_spex
no one is born a bully, if he changed into a bully he can change back