Debatingswimmer
Koopin

People not born in America can not run for President

Con Tied Pro

Debatingswimmer

Con

My argument stands clear as day that people born in other countries should have the ability to run for Presidency. These people fight for our country and some of them even make up our government! back in the 1700's, 1800's, and early 1900's; we treated African Americans awfully because of their skin color, and now that, that rule is abolished we decide that they can't run for president?!? The French! They taught us new ways to cook!The Germans brought crops! And my argument also is that none of us are actual Americans. Unless you are full native American then, no , you are not American. Because our ancestors came from Europe! George Washington was absolutely NOT American! So, now you're trying to tell me that because of the 14th amendment is going to change that? Now that I've made my point about how not EVERY president is American, I need someone to argue my topic!
Koopin

Pro

1st Round Introduction:

I would like to thank my opponent for starting this debate. I hope we both have fun. I believe my opponent feels strongly about this subject, so we both should have a good time.

1st Round Definitions:

President: The highest executive officer of a modern republic, as the Chief Executive of the United States. (1)

United States of America:
North American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific Ocean; achieved independence in 1776 (2)

Foreigners:
A person not native to or naturalized in the country or jurisdiction under consideration; alien

1st Round Argument.

You truly beleive that there is nothing wrong with letting foreigners into our country to become our leaders. From the surface, it looks like many things such as racism, hate, ignorance, you name it. Though if we exam it closer we will be able to see the reasons why this law was put into effect and why it remains. But first, we must address your argument of us “not being American.” This statement is absurd and has been used countless times. First of all, the natives did not go by the name “Americans” and would probably be angry if that’s what you called them. Secondly, you assume that all natives were one united people when in fact they had many of their own “countries.” These countries were called tribes, and were fought over for many years. The American continent did not belong to one people. I really hate when the movies portray the Indians as one country, which only fought in self defense when in fact Indians took over other Indian’s tribes. So if you live in California and are Aztec, you can’t say that you are living in your original land because your ancestors probably took it from other people. Yes, it was wrong for Europeans to take people from their tribes, but know that the Europeans were doing what the Indians did.

What one must realize is that war exists. The one rule of war is that whoever wins gets what they fought for. If Germany won world war two by right they would get whatever land they conquered. When the Europeans won the many wars against the Indians by right the Europeans won the land. This is harsh, but it is the way things are. There is no universal law that we all have to be fair and even up the land. In five hundred years, if China took over the USA and called it “Happy Land” we could not say that Americans are the real “Happy Landers.” Many people’s morals wish them not to think this way, though it is the harsh reality. No matter how cruel or mean this sounds, this is planet earth. If you don’t want to think that way it is your choice. But if you want to know the truth, that is it.

Now that we have established what an American really is, we can move onto the resolution.

We are Americans, people who fought for this land and a people who fought the British to keep it. We have by right obtained this land. There are many reasons why the founding fathers may have said that only a natural born citizen may be the leader of this country, but I think the best reason was that they did not want people electing someone whose loyalties lied elsewhere. For example, they did not want a British person coming over and becoming president.

Today, there are still many reasons why this law should remain in effect. One of the best reason is the reason I listed above. We can never truly tell where a person’s allegiances lie. What if a German was our president during World War 2? What if we elected someone who was from another country, and the time called for us to go to war against that country? Just because we were a nation of immigrants does not mean that we can always be one. We have to say “this is who we are” sometime. That is what a nation is.

Secondly, we need an American representing America. It is good figure for the rest of the world to see. We cannot have a Chinese man leading America, nor a British man, nor an Iraq man. It is like asking the Coach of the New England Patriots to be the spokes person of the New York Jets.

There is way more to say, but I will keep this short since my opponent has so few words for her first round.

I would again like to thank my opponent for this debate and look forward her next argument.

Sidenote: Contrary to what my opponent has stated, African Americans can run for president.
Debatingswimmer

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this challange and yes, I am sure that this is sure to be a worthy argument.
Although I most definitly understand your argument but that does not meani will agree to it. I have to admit you have some very good points. About the part about Indians being in seperate tribes, that is absolutly NOT what i was trying to say at all. I know that the Europeans did so much for us as you so clearly pointed out, so shouldn't they have some right to run for office? You are abslolutly right about the Europeans taking land from the Indians. I guess what I am trying to say is, is that the 14th amendment shouldn't be able to tell us who can and can not be president. As i pointed out earlier "Not all of our President's were American" that is definitly true. George Washington, our nations first president, was born in England. As my opponent clearly states "it looks like many things such as racism, hate, ignorance, you name it". It looks like it because thats is exactly what it is! I am going to tell the truth; I am an american born citizen with a Tennessee twang that has German blood. I feel so strongly about this topic because none of my family can give blood or run for President. Does that seem fair to you? What you said about us fighting for our country? I may be wrong but don't people from other countries fight for us too? Aren't they allowed to have a seat in Congress or the Government? Even though they may not have been born in this country they pay taxes to keep our Country running somewhat smoothly and they have devoted their lives to be part of our Country. Would it really be so wrong to let them run for office?
Again I would like to thank my opponent for arguing my topic.
Koopin

Pro

2nd Round Intro/Arguement.

I would like to thank my opponent for posting her next argument.

Reading your response, I realized that you have not refuted my points in anyway. You simply go on to state your opinion of “fair.” We are engaged in a debate, and therefore we can’t just talk about what we think is right. For this round, I will extend my arguments. I ask you that you properly attempt to refute them peferably with sources.

Debatingswimmer

Con

Debatingswimmer forfeited this round.
Koopin

Pro

Argument extended.
Debatingswimmer

Con

Debatingswimmer forfeited this round.
Koopin

Pro

Please extend all arguments.
Debatingswimmer

Con

Debatingswimmer forfeited this round.
Koopin

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for this debate. I am sorry she was not able to repsond.

And now, a video to celebrate a win!
Posted by SuperRobotWars 3 years ago
SuperRobotWars
Amazing . . .
Posted by vardas0antras 3 years ago
vardas0antras
Koopin so far is completely destroying CON. Congrats.
Posted by Koopin 3 years ago
Koopin
Please do not argue in the comment section till AFTER the debate.
Posted by Sensei 3 years ago
Sensei
Should it be though?
Posted by Greyparrot 3 years ago
Greyparrot
The constitution has been, and can still be changed.
Posted by Sensei 3 years ago
Sensei
The constitution states that, "No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President..." The argument is easily resolved in the fact that the constitution says that they must be. As the most powerful document in our land, we should do what it says. Race of the citizens parents does not matter; all that matters is what the constitution says.
Posted by PARADIGM_L0ST 3 years ago
PARADIGM_L0ST
Koopin can be serious? What.... the....???
Posted by Koopin 3 years ago
Koopin
Dance magic Dance.
Posted by tornshoe92 3 years ago
tornshoe92
"...we treated African Americans awfully because of their skin color, and now that, that rule is abolished we decide that they can't run for president?!?"

inorite? *Looks at the guy in the White House*
Posted by Debatingswimmer 3 years ago
Debatingswimmer
ok but please post a debate this time!
Vote Placed by kohai 3 years ago
kohai
DebatingswimmerKoopinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con did not argue. He forfeited all his rounds.
Vote Placed by ilovedebate 3 years ago
ilovedebate
DebatingswimmerKoopinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited
Vote Placed by SuperRobotWars 3 years ago
SuperRobotWars
DebatingswimmerKoopinTied
Reasons for voting decision: No need to explain.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 3 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
DebatingswimmerKoopinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.
Vote Placed by Cobo 3 years ago
Cobo
DebatingswimmerKoopinTied
Vote Placed by Koopin 3 years ago
Koopin
DebatingswimmerKoopinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Everything obviously goes to The Koopin, except for sources. Simply because Koopin pwned. I wish I was as great as him. "OH! SUNNY D AND RUM (YUM YUM!)"