epv
ElliottKid20

People on Twitter

epv

Con

When someone writes a Tweet on Twitter it is because they care enough about the subject to spend some time typing their own thoughts. However, is it the same about Retweets? When someone retweets is it because they think exactly the same as the person who first posted it, or the just share it because they think the content will resonate with their followers. Like when you tell a joke that someone else have told you before, maybe is not your favourite joke, but you think your friends may enjoy it?
ElliottKid20

Pro

Twitter was created for both fans and their stars so when these retweet it shows how much that tweet meant to them
epv

Con

epv forfeited this round.
ElliottKid20

Pro

ElliottKid20 forfeited this round.
epv

Con

epv forfeited this round.
ElliottKid20

Pro

ElliottKid20 forfeited this round.
Posted by near 3 years ago
near
Is this a debate or a query? I see much for the latter. To be honest, people retweets for different reasons, as a matter of fact, people tweet for different reasons. Social media nowadays have reached stupendous heights of methods of interaction. Some tweets or retweets simply because they want to, for several personal reasons I could perhaps spend the whole night counting.
Posted by schachdame 3 years ago
schachdame
i think I understand what you are trying to say. But consider that Retweets especially from official news sites or from authorities such as politicians or celebrities are part of a journalistic approach. Retweets are quotes and we need them to make clear where the information came from or to underline the authority behind it.

You may of course argue against the necessity for Retweets from different angles, for example
- Retweets are unecessary
- Retweets are uncreative
- Retweets are spam
All these come with a different BOP and different arguments.

I think we have somewhere an "adopt a noob"-programm where experienced debaters explain you the art behind debating. If you want an open discourse about tweets and retweets I would suggest you to try out the Opinion and Poll section, where you can get a broader feedback from more people.
Posted by epv 3 years ago
epv
Ok. Well it's true it wasn't the right way to introduce a topic to debate. The point I tried to make is why retweets? I do not understand why people use them all the time. I"m againts retweets. I believe there is something in our DNA that makes us social animals and for that reason we like to share, this is the principle of why gossip exists, no because we care at all about the peorson we are gossiping about. But my intention is to understand the retweet, no the gossip.
In this digital era that we live, being online, on my point of view way to far that it should be, when some retweet is just to tell the rest "hey! check this", but not even to your friends, to anyone. Is it that we need the feeling that we're feeding them? That we need to look interesting for our followers? Because if that is the case, any article, topic or whatever you found should be commented by you.
Posted by schachdame 3 years ago
schachdame
@epv - to make this a debate-able topic, please consider the following changes:

1. think about a clear stance or resolution that you want to debate.
2. think about, whether you want to make arguments in your first round and allow your opponent to rebuttal in the first round
3. On what side of the resolution you want stand.

Possible core questions could (for instance) be:
- has re-tweeting the same journalistic quality as producing a tweet yourself?
- are people who re-tweet "lazy"?

You can be either support the claim behind this question or argue against it, but you need to make sure what side you take AND what side OF WHAT.

Currently it is unlikely that someone will decide to debate you on something they don't know what it's about.
Posted by MunchyCookies 3 years ago
MunchyCookies
What stance?
Posted by Witch_doctor 3 years ago
Witch_doctor
what stance are you taking on this?