MysticEgg
Versatile

People over twelve should be allowed to use social networking sites. (Second version)

MysticEgg

Pro

Hello, everyone!

There is an opinion question about this issue and due to its interesting outcome I have decided to start an open debate on it. But before we continue, allow me to clear up the resolution to help avoid any tedious semantics.

So, what does the resolution mean? It means people who are 13+ should be allowed to have accounts social networking sites (SNS). Now I do not mean unconditionally; I mean with restrictions from parents or guardians. These restrictions will vary and are largely irrelevant, but I hope this serves to clear up any misconceptions about the resolution. By social networking sites, I mean - and only mean - sites that fully meet the following criteria:

i) A site where one has to make a profile to make interactions with users.
ii) A site where people can form relationships. (I don't mean "love" relationships alone, although these are included)
iii) A site where one can legally make an account at 13 or older.

Now that's out of the way, I will continue with the rules:

1) The first round can be for acceptance only. If it is, then the debate will continue normally; if Con wishes to use the first round to make opening contentions, however, Con must put - and only put - "No round posted here as agreed." in the fifth round.
2) The burden of proof is shared.

3) There can be no "Vote Pro" or "Vote Con" at the end of the debate unless one of the debaters consented.
4) A forfeit of a round (for any reason) is a forfeit of conduct; a forfeit of a round is only a forfeit of conduct.

I believe that's all, so if anyone has any questions, please post a comment! Good luck to all and allez!
Versatile

Con

What exactly does a 12-14 year old need social networking for?

Anyway, I accept. I will be proposing a cap of 16+. Below this age I will consider it up to the parents not a 'should be allowed' matter in the least.
MysticEgg

Pro

Thanks to Con for accepting this debate today! I wish Con the best of luck!

"What exactly does a 12-14 year old need social networking for?" Need is a word I would use sparingly. I am not arguing that a person who is 13+ needs to use social networking sites; I am arguing that they should be allowed one if they are 13+. 12 I am not arguing for, either. I stress 13+.

On the parents' permission aspect:

I am doing this on the premise that the child will have the parent(s)' permission. I should hope no one would just "make an account". I hope that clarifies.

I will take that as a pure acceptance; let the debate continue!

Contention One: Connectivity
SNS such as Facebook allow people immense amounts of connectivity with people and places around the world with an almost instantaneous effect! This easily beats phone lines for speed and as a result; it is only unavailable if the person is not online. With modern mobile phones; people can be notified now, too. And it is probable that Internet speed will grow faster than mobile phone speed[1].

So, people who are 13+ should be able to use SNS to contact family members and friends, because it is faster and more cost effective.

Contention 2: It's a tool to be used!
This applies to the Internet in general but can be applied to SNS, too. Twitter allows you to gain fast, brief, honest, and concise opinions quickly. Why should this be limited to people who are 16+? People who are 13+ can be just as mature and can use it just as effectively as people who are older. Age shouldn't be the deciding factor here, because otherwise we advance into the correlation equals causation fallacy. In this case, it is age equals maturity. While this is true to an extent, we are dealing with a close age range here and thus need more evidence than a general trend.

I believe I shall leave it at that for now and will await my opponent's opening contention(s) and refute(s)! Until next round!

Source(s):

[1]http://www.nngroup.com...

Versatile

Con

Versatile forfeited this round.
MysticEgg

Pro

Oh well, I will merely extend all arguments and wait most eagerly!
Versatile

Con

Versatile forfeited this round.
MysticEgg

Pro

Short and sweet, then. Extend all arguments.

Please come back; you still have two more rounds to make a case!

See you next round,
J
Versatile

Con

Versatile forfeited this round.
MysticEgg

Pro

It seems my opponent's account is no longer open. I do apologise and will point you here for another version:

http://www.debate.org...

Versatile

Con

Versatile forfeited this round.