Zaradi
TurleDoveSammie

People should clean their rooms

Zaradi
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

Zaradi

Con

This mere plebian fool has dared challenge me to a game. Yet she does not know that I was the one who created the game. I AM the game. She shall be defeated before my vast intellectual might.

First round acceptance.
TurleDoveSammie

Pro

Ahem, I guess Ill accept this debate! Beware you twit! LOL :P
Zaradi

Con

Our decisions come from self-interest and intending to recognize desired ends. Mercer:

MARK MERCER. IN DEFENCE OF WEAK PSYCHOLOGICAL EGOISM. Erkenntnis 55: 217–237, 2001.

• “To understand what another has done is … to have a … description of the action he has performed, one that reveals it to be intentional … to know an agent’s reason for performing … action involves understanding his motivation in doing it. … It is not enough, … to understand what a person who intentionally sips from a saucer of mud has done … An interpreter has also to comprehend what in desiring to sip from a saucer of mud was attractive to him. … One way is to connect that piece of behaviour to one or more of the strange agent’s self-regarding ends. If we can see in sipping from a saucer of mud a way of maintaining self-respect, or even a way to delight in the taste of mud, we can understand the desire the agent had to sip from a saucer of mud. We need not connect his self-regarding end to an intention to realize that end in or through his action; we need only … connect it to an expectation of realizing it.”

And, this lays the basis of normative egoism. Mercer 2:

• “weak … egoism is the doctrine that all actions are performed in expectation of realizing self-regarding ends. … egoism is the doctrine that behind any action whatever that an agent performs intentionally, ultimately there lies the agent’s expectation of realizing one or more of her self-regarding ends, an expectation without which the agent would not have performed the action. … if an agent does not expect to forestall his own unhappiness or to promote his self-image, …, in … performing an action … then that agent will not intentionally perform an action of that type. … some other self-regarding end, not as a consequence … but directly as part of engaging in that activity, … To enjoy tennis is to take pleasure in playing tennis, and not, … to attain experiences of pleasure through playing tennis.)”

So, we are moral in intending to further our own self-interest. I don’t deny that there are decisions that are to benefit those external to the self but we are motivated to take those acts in trying to recognize self-benefiting ends.

So what my case means is pretty simple. People should only really do what's within their own subjective self-interest. Meaning that if it's not within my self-interest to clean my room, I shouldn't have to clean my room.

TurleDoveSammie

Pro

TurleDoveSammie forfeited this round.
Zaradi

Con

I should've known that this would happen...
TurleDoveSammie

Pro

Im sorry for my FF, but If its okay with my opponent Im gonna have to request if we try this another time, I have not had much time for this debate. Im sorry :/
Zaradi

Con

Same as last time :P
TurleDoveSammie

Pro

TurleDoveSammie forfeited this round.
Posted by RevNge 2 years ago
RevNge
"Your not gonna win, so lets just pass on this debate!"

lol
Posted by ShabShoral 2 years ago
ShabShoral
Ha.
Posted by varshachooranolickal 2 years ago
varshachooranolickal
Good Luck both of you hope the Pro wins this (no offence)
Posted by ResponsiblyIrresponsible 2 years ago
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
@Matt: She told me what her case is.. it's actually quite impressive.

Step 1: Wait until the last round - because she's posting last

Step 2: Tell you that by forfeiting she's increased your suffering, which is good, but because you're still standing, clearly you haven't suffered enough.

Step 3: Cleaning your room would make you suffer even more, and is thus desirable.

Step 4: Vote you down to make you suffer as much as possible.
Posted by TurleDoveSammie 2 years ago
TurleDoveSammie
you happy lol?
Posted by Zaradi 2 years ago
Zaradi
I think I will :P
Posted by TurleDoveSammie 2 years ago
TurleDoveSammie
YOU SUCK! lol. Your not gonna win, so lets just pass on this debate! lol
Posted by Zaradi 2 years ago
Zaradi
Am I sure I want a free win? Yes :P
Posted by TurleDoveSammie 2 years ago
TurleDoveSammie
dont get smart with me!!! lol you sure you wanna challenge me?
Posted by Zaradi 2 years ago
Zaradi
WEll i mean, I sent you the challenge :P
Vote Placed by Preston 2 years ago
Preston
ZaradiTurleDoveSammie
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by tejretics 2 years ago
tejretics
ZaradiTurleDoveSammie
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.