People should eat much less meat

1. Polite conduct at all times
2. A picture or cartoon with every argument (just to be entertaining :D )

I will be arguing that people should eat a lot less meat or become vegetarian, Con will be arguing that meat is beneficial to the human diet.

First round is acceptance....

Thanks for accepting.

l. Health

l.A. Kidney stones
A vegetarian diet reduces the percent chance of developing kidney stones. Kidney stones are most frequently caused by too much calcium oxalate or uric acid in the urine. Animal protein (including meats, shellfish, eggs etc.) have large amounts of oxalates and uric acid in it, thus increasing the risk of kidney stones. [1] Americans consume a lot of meat, in burgers or hot dogs, or steaks, but 1 in 11 Americans suffer from kidney stones, suggesting that this high-meat diet may be catching up with Americans. [2]

l.B. Iron sources
Red meat is rich in iron, but studies show that too much heme iron (the iron found in red meat) may not be beneficial to humans. Studies have linked this heme iron to an increased risk of getting rectal or colon cancer. [3] Non-heme iron is found in foods like leafy greens and beans.

l.C. Heart disease
An Oxford study shows that vegetarians are 32% less likely to get heart disease than meat eaters. [4]

l.D. Conclusion
There are many conditions and disease that can be contracted by eating meat. None of them are fun at all, and if people want to have a higher chance of living longer, healthier, and therefore happier lives, they should reduce the amount of animal protein they eat.

ll. Ethics

ll.A. Are their lives wasted?
Animals killed for meat are raised in slaughterhouses, many never seeing the light of day, or feeling grass beneath their feet. Humans can function without eating meat, so are we taking their lives for a whim? Animals can experience stress, pain, and fear. 10,153 million animals are killed for their meat every year. [5] That is a ridiculous amount of animals to die for humans' dietary preferences.

ll.B Conditions of slaughterhouses
Animals killed for meat are kept in cramped, dirty, and unnatural conditions, and are sometimes even fed the ground up remains of animals of their own species. The meat industry is out to make a profit, and to maximize the number of animals they can keep, animals can be kept in spaces so small they can't even turn around. They aren't exercised so they fatten quickly, and are pumped full of drugs and antibiotics to keep them alive in conditions that would've killed them. [6]

ll.C. Most slaughterhouses don't kill animals humanely
The Humane Methods of Slaughter Act (HMSA) is an attempt to make slaughter more humane by, for example, mandating that livestock be stunned unconcious before slaughter to minimize the animal's suffering. But the HMSA doesn't include chickens and turkeys in its legislation, and some slaughterhouses merely ignore the HMSA, as it is not economically profitable and is not as strictly enforced as it could be. [7]

ll.D Conclusion
Meat is not humane!! Every consumer counts, and it only takes one person to make a difference!! A vegetarian saves over 406 animals a year, that's more than 1 a day!! [8] Many people do not realize the agony that went into their enjoyable lunch. There is no excuse for excessive meat consumption, unless a doctor specifically prescribed it, which I doubt they would.

Round Conclusion
Meat is bad for the health and the soul.

I will make more points next round to make this argument less long, and more 'readable'.

1. Evolution

a) Humans didn't evolve to become pure vegetarians, our omnivorous attributes are found through out our bodies. The anatomical differences between the average veggie eating animal and our own species are quite apperent. The average adult human digestive tract from mouth to anus is about 8 times body length, this is about midway between our canivorous friends dogs and our favourite large herbivore beast cattle, who tend to have digestive tracts around 20 times their own body length. This is clear evidence of human omnivorence.

b) The human appendix is a vestigial organ that is located at the end of the small intestine located at the end of the small intestine or beginning of the Large intestine. It is speculated to once have the purpose of digesting cellulose into its monomer componenets. This is probably one of the most obvious signs of human indepence from herbivore diets.

c) The earliest known evidence of vegetarianism can only be seen in ancient Greece and ancient India. All other ancient civilizations and tribes in the 2 million years before today that we know of have diets that are omnivourous. This is clear evidence of humans evolution favouring people whose diets were not purely vegetarian

Conclusion with all the evidence meat is what the human body was designed to consume. Ergo, meat is good.

2. Nutrient Diffeciency[1]

Zinc is an essential mineral required for many enzymatic based metabolic reactions[4][6]. A lack of Zinc Meat is the most cost effective and effecient forms of a zinc supplement. Zinc deffiency can lead to Cancer, Diarrhea , Pneumonia, and even Anorexia[7]. A study at the University of Sydney in Austrailia clearly demonstrated that the amount of zinc consumed by vegetarians is not enough to supply the body with its daily value worth of Zinc.[4]

Even though many nutrients can be supplied through the ingestion of non meat products; meat, remains the most cost effective and best available supplement of nutrients for the majority of people.

My Apologies that this is very short and unrefined, I have been quite busy with my studies lately.

Side Note: Please attach a picture to your next argument, as I stated that it is mandatory to have a picture or poster or cartoon in your argument in the rules of this debate.
Also, you did not challenge any of my above arguments in round 2, so I will assume that you have nothing to say to counter them.

Humans have many evolutional characteristics of herbivores. For example, humans cannot detoxify vitamin A, have relatively small jaws in relation to head size, and have flattened teeth and nails, all are characteristics of a herbivore. Humans have very long colons and small intestines as well, which is again a herbivore characteristic. [1] The times have changed, what can I say? Don't base diet choices on the choices of people who lived a looooong time ago.
Nutrient Deficiency:

Wiki isn't a very good source, as anybody can change it, for future reference. Diets low in animal protein contain less saturated fat and are cholesterol free, therefore lower a vegetarian's risk of becoming overweight/obese, and getting things like heart disease from a high build-up of saturated fats etc. in their arteries. Also, vegetables contain more fiber, antioxidants, and complex carbs (as opposed to simple carbs that are basically pure sugar). [2]

The Environment

Greenhouse gases

Methane gas, one of the greenhouse gases, is a direct by-product of the regular cow digestive process. Animal agriculture accounts for about 17% of greenhouse emissions. More greenhouse gases are emitted by animal agriculture than by cars.[3] The animals have to be raised, fed cheap corn and soy (usually produced with pesticides), slaughtered, and then chopped up and packaged and shipped out and then eaten, and sometimes thrown away. This process is terrible for the environment.

30% of the worlds land is used to produce meat. Forests are torn down to host factory farms. The Amazon is getting torn down, about 7 football fields deforested each minute. Think of the plants that haven't even been discovered yet. There might be the cure to cancer, destroyed, because people want their burgers.

Meat wastes food. It takes up to 13 pounds of grain to produce one pound of meat. Obviously, that isn't efficient. Also, it takes up to 2,400 gallons of water for ONE pound of meat. Growing a pound of wheat, though, only needs 25 gallons.

Meat is tainting and ruining the environment!!

It's fine. Mine's pretty short too.

mistersilver forfeited this round.

I extend my arguments.

I resign, Vote Pro.
Posted by Freyalibra3 2 years ago
I found this debate really interesting to watch, as I am a vegetarian myself.
Posted by MistyBlue 2 years ago
Thanks for the debate analysis, bladerunner, I'm pretty new to debating, so any advice is welcome :)
Posted by bladerunner060 2 years ago
Oh, and as always, happy to clarify anything in this RFD.
Posted by bladerunner060 2 years ago
Con forfeited, losing conduct. He also resigned, losing arguments.

As to arguments, though, I just wanted to note (over and above Con's resignation) that I think Pro was wise to frame the resolution as she did. The arguments as presented made a strong case for vegetarianism, but all Pro had to defend was eating "much less" not "none at all", and so the arguments that Con did manage to give fail even if taken at prima facie value, since they seemed to be actually arguments against vegetarianism. Pro responded well to those points, but I think Pro could have addressed the nutrition aspect a little more--the zinc argument has rebuttals that could be, and weren't, made--Pro instead opted to point out similar health defects in meat eating.

Pro, while I actually did like your pictures, I'd like to note it made the debate load and scroll a little weird for me, making reading it a bit more difficult than it otherwise would have been, particularly in R3, where the large images make my browser act strangely.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments.
Vote Placed by wiploc 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con conceded.