Monteray
Valladarex

People should learn to love more and hate less

Valladarex

Monteray

Pro

I believe that people of this planet should learn to forgive more , love more and hate less. However they must not love what is wrong. I believe that this will help every day-to-day life :) thank you

If you love someone , please vote for :)
Valladarex

Con

Opening Statements

I thank my opponent for the opportunity to debate this topic.

I believe that people should love more good things and hate more bad things. This contadicts the general statement that pro provides.

When it comes to love and hate, there needs to be a balance in the world in order for there to be human progress. There will always be those that do wrong, and those who do good. There will always be good things and evil things. In order for us to ensure that good prevails over evil, people must learn to hate the negative things in the world to give them the passion to make change.

Definitions:

Hate: a : intense hostility and aversion usually deriving from fear, anger, or sense of injury
b : extreme dislike or antipathy (1)

Love: a : strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties
b: unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another(2)

Rebuttals:

"I believe that people of this planet should learn to forgive more , love more and hate less."
When it comes to forgiveness, it is true that many people deserve to have a chance to change. The problem comes when people decide to forgive people who do not deserve to be forgiven. When this happens, people forget about the faults in these individuals and history will eventually repeat itself.

In society today, many criminals are eventually forgiven for their crimes, and are let free. What results is many of them end up doing the same crimes again. For example, "77 percent of felony defendants have at least one prior arrest and 69 percent have multiple prior arrests. 61 percent have at least one conviction and 49 percent have multiple convictions."(3) I would say in this instance, people should remain vigilent and ensure that forgiveness is only given when deserved. The products of too much forgiveness is more problems in society. The world far too complex make a general rule that people should forgive more.

"However they must not love what is wrong."
I agree, people should not love wrong things. People should be passionate to make wrong things right. The type of emotion that does this effectively is hate.

When one hates something, such as child abuse, they will become activists against it. They could start organizations to bring awareness to the issue, create foundations and charities to help kids who were abused, and become politically active to try to create legislation to try to prevent the abuse.

"I believe that this will help every day-to-day life :) thank you"
When it comes to every day-to-day life, it could be said that many people could benefit from this general rule. This is only true if people are focusing their hate on the wrong things, and their love on the right things. For society as a whole, it is far too general to be used effectively, as bad things must be addressed by people on a day to day basis. People could also mistakingly love things that end up hurting them later.

"If you love someone, please vote for :)"
I think everyone loves someone. This isn't a good reason to vote for the resolution though. People could love people and hate evil actions and things.

Arguments:

I would argue both hate and love are very beneficial feelings if they are focused on the right things. If either are done the wrong way, then many problems will ensue.

In America, people have been trending toward apathy when there are many problems in the world that need to be addressed. When good people don't hate, it is less likely that problems such genocide, humans rights abuses, common crimes, and unjust wars will be solved.

I believe the majority of people in the world are good. If this majority focused a passionate anger toward world issues, things would most certainly turn out for the better. But as it is today, indifference and preference toward love on a microscale persists, and innocent people end up getting hurt. The minority that is bad people have the advantage to cause more damage than could be otherwise prevented.

Of course you could point out that hating people is wrong. I agree. People should not hate individuals because of their heritage, race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexuality, religion, culture, or anything else that would otherwise be out of their control. People should hate the actions of people that cause harm to others. People should also hate diseases, famine, natural disasters, or anything else that creates destruction and does more bad than good to people. It is only then when we will have a good chance to fight these things.

Conclusion:

In conclusion, the idea that people should learn to love more and hate less is too general and could be taken the wrong way. It doesn't anwer what people should love, and what people should hate. If one wants to make the world better, one should learn to use both of these emotions to make the best of his or her abilities to do good in the world.

Vote Con.

“Hate the sin, love the sinner.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

1. http://www.merriam-webster.com...
2. http://www.merriam-webster.com...;
3.http://www.crimeinamerica.net...;
Posted by Monteray 4 years ago
Monteray
Yeah sorry about this I just had to create 3 random debates so that the website may confirm my identity without using a phone
Vote Placed by Reni-1_3 4 years ago
Reni-1_3
MonterayValladarexTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ok. People don't need to learn to love more and hate less. People need to become smarter and less "swag" so to speak so they aren't as hateable.
Vote Placed by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
MonterayValladarexTied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate was bad and you should feel bad