SpiffyTexan
kasmic

People should not post debates about random and insignificant topics

kasmic

SpiffyTexan

Pro

RULES: Con must prove that it is good for people to post debates about random and insignificant topics.
This has been one of the main pet peeves of mine since joining DDO. It is utterly annoying that people have to scroll past a plethora of insignificant topics to find one of actual importance in the world.
It seems to me that people post these types of debates so that their record will show that they have completed a higher number of debates. This hurts DDO because most people will eventually leave because of the lack of interest. If people want to post a ton of debates, fine. Just make them about something that will actually make a difference in the reader/debater's brain.
kasmic

Con

Good luck,

Insignificant: “small or unimportant : not significant”
Importance: “value or significance”

Pro claims himself superior to others on DDO, deeming his own debates “important” and others “insignificant.” This is foolish as both are in the eye of the beholder. Obviously the debates deemed “insignificant” are significant to those who participate, evident as people do participate. Also evident by the large number of debates. These debates are therefore “good”, as people would not participate otherwise. The resolution is negated. I invite pro to prove insignificance or importance of these debates.

(1) http://www.merriam-webster.com...
(2) http://www.merriam-webster.com...
SpiffyTexan

Pro

My opponent stated that I deemed my own debates "important" and others are "insignificant" I was merely stating that people should find a topic of importance in the real world. Obviously, the topics "are penguins better than koalas" and "blue or brown box" are not significant in the real world. If this happens to be important to that person then they should try to apply it in their real life, if they can't apply it to the real world, then it is obviously insignificant. A debate about politics or religion you can apply to your point of view to expand your horizons, koalas don't seem to have this effect. People accept insignificant debates for lack of a significant debate. And a large number of debates has nothing to do with significance.
kasmic

Con

DDO is not the “real world." No debate from DDO has any “real world” impact. Thus the significance of a debate is in the eye of the beholder. People are not just accepting these debates, they are starting them, again this suggest that it is significant to them.

People should post debates about whatever they want. The topics may seem insignificant and are so named by my opponent, however, debate skills can be applied to any debate no matter the topic. DDO creates an environment where people can debate whatever they want. Pro has not provided sufficient arguments to justify changing the status quo. As significance is in the eye of the beholder there does not seem to be a objective way to declare something significant or not.

SpiffyTexan

Pro

Debates can affect the real world as I said in my previous arguments, they can effect people's minds and in turn, the people affect the world. My opponent stated that debate skills can be applied to any debate no matter the topic, this is somewhat true, but not in the extent it could be if people debated significant topics. For instance, if people were to debate whether national security ought to be valued over a free press, there are many more facets to explore than koalas vs penguins. Because of this I am proposing that instead of posting insignificant debates, the person should find a much more interesting and effective topic to debate to keep interests high and keep debaters coming back for more of DDO.
kasmic

Con

This debate is a great example: Short, 750 character three round debate. Some may say it is insignificant. No "real world" impact. Yet I have enjoyed, an found it challenging due to the topic and restrictions. I am glad you posted it. All should be able to post similar debates.

I maintain that no debate on DDO affects the “real world.” More facets does not make something significant. These so called “insignificant debates” bring people to the website. People enjoy them, participate in them, and vote on them. Pro has not provided sufficient support for his resolve. People should be free to post debates on whatever topic they want, regardless of my opponents view of the topics being insignificant.

Thanks for the debate!
Vote Con!
Posted by SpiffyTexan 2 years ago
SpiffyTexan
Thanks for taking me up on this, Kasmic! Nice to have a challenge!
Posted by kasmic 2 years ago
kasmic
@Jingle Bombs, thanks for the vote, though I do not think that "affecting" the real world is the same thing as real world "application."
Posted by kasmic 2 years ago
kasmic
That was surprisingly fun!
Posted by JOSH_THE_DAVIS 2 years ago
JOSH_THE_DAVIS
You can debate all day about useles stuff, and grant it, you'll probably pick up some debating skills, but why would one even need those skills if there not going to put them to use in the real world and try to make a difference. And when it comes to justifying weather a debate is significant or not, I think the spiffytexan hit the nail on the head. It's only significant if it really impacts the world. And to ad to all this the con is no longer topical because he is arguing that there are no insignificant debates as opposed to the actual resolution, (" people should not post debates about random and insignificant topics") therefore, the con drops the actual argument and should not win the debate as the round as shown this far.
Posted by SpiffyTexan 2 years ago
SpiffyTexan
This is not a random and insignificant debate because it is (hopefully) preventing future random and insignificant debates. And when I say "random and insignificant" I mean REALLY random and insignificant.
Posted by kasmic 2 years ago
kasmic
In the eye of the beholder... 😉
Posted by ggParsons 2 years ago
ggParsons
Isn't this literally a random and insignificant debate?
Posted by Longline 2 years ago
Longline
I believe that regardless of the topic, debating is still a valuable lesson. sometime it is not what you learn while debating, it is how you debate.
this web service have teach many people on how to debate and win. not necessarily what to learn or debate about, also you need to understand what you are debating about in order to have a strong statement.
so there is no topic that is insignificant, even if you do find it that way, that person must have consider it valuable to know about. what is insignificant to you might not be to the rest.
Posted by SpiffyTexan 2 years ago
SpiffyTexan
72 hrs
Posted by Fummy 2 years ago
Fummy
This will be a rather hard debate for con.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
SpiffyTexankasmicTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con showed that debates on DDO have no real world impact. Would a debate done over the economic effects of the USFG mining asteroids be heard by NASA, no. Why, because they don't care about some insignificant kid in Topeka that isn't smart enough to be a scientist and thus I am ignored. This debate could be considered insignificant by Pro's own standards as he states that it must have a real world impact and this means nothing outside of Debate.org and that the character limit on the debate could also hinder it's effect to have any type of implications. So with that being said arguments go to Con. Since Con provided links to his sources he then also gets the points for Sources.
Vote Placed by Jingle_Bombs 2 years ago
Jingle_Bombs
SpiffyTexankasmicTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con makes a good point when he argues that debate skills can still be applied any debate; where an ultimate measure of one's arguing prowess is the ability to scrutinize any topic. Though Con shoots himself in the foot when he acknowledges to Pro that DDO debates have no "real world" applications, he concludes nicely by mentioning that not limiting topics adds to the diversity of DDO, and therefore the popularity of the site.