Supergreatmystic
NNEye

People should stop comparing Roblox to Minecraft and vice versa

Started: 1/28/2015 Category: Games

Supergreatmystic

Pro

Minecraft and Roblox shouldn't be compared because they are totally different games! We have to end this argument and stop the debates about this!
NNEye

Con

Welcome to DDO!

I'm assuming we can go right ahead. The positions are as such:

- Pro: Roblox and Minecraft should no longer be compared with one another.
- Con: A mandatory call to terminate discussions concerning the similarities and differences between Roblox and Minecraft is unreasonable.

Premise (P) 1: Comparisons between two or more intrinsically different people, objects, or events occur all the time.

1.1: Descriptive Comparisons

"The café was like a battleship stripped for action." [1] This is just one of thousands of comparisons between two different entites drawn throughout literature, historic and contemporary. Such comparisons were utilized to describe subjects (people, places, events, objects, or other entities) through similes, such as in the aformentioned example, or through metaphors, wherein direct associations occur. An example of a metaphoric description is as such:

Matthew 5:13 (KJV): Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? It is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.

The writer associates people, the subject of the sentence ("ye"), with salt, an intrinsically different entity, to describe the role expected of the subject of the verse. Salt is merely a crystalline compound, NaCi, that is primarily used for seasoning and preventing ice from building up on human pathways (roads, sidewalks, etc.), whereas people (humans) are sentient primapes. For more examples of such descriptive comparisons, see [2] for similes and [3] for metaphors.

If myriads of descriptive descriptions can involve a plethora of entities differing from each other, what makes it unreasonable to make such descriptions between Minecraft and Roblox? If it is simply because they differ from each other, then see some of the aformentioned examples, such as the one made between salt and people, where descriptions are drawn between two entities that are intrinsically different from one another except in an abstract sense.

One may argue that these only concern comparisons drawn for descriptive purposes and not for preferential purposes, as is most likely the case with Roblox and Minecraft. However, preferential comparisons are legion as well.

1.2: Preferential Comparisons

Song of Songs 1:2:
Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth: for thy love is better than wine.

As is the case with descriptive comparisons, two or more intrinsically different entities have been weighed against one another, with one being preferred over the others, as is the case in the cited passage. Love, an abstract concept whose meaning varies in different contexts, is weighed against wine, an objectively alcoholic substance, and described as being better than it. Of course, to have two people sit down and debate the value of love against the value of wine would be ridiculous, as the basis of both sides is, for the most part, subjective, yet such debates are legion (even on this website). Below are just three topics regularly debated on this website:

"Apples vs oranges" [4] [5] [6] [7]
"Xbox One vs PS4" [too many to cite]
"Twitter vs facebook" [8]

If one wishes to argue that debates concerning Robolox and Minecraft should stop purely on the basis that they are different from each other, one must also argue why debates of the likes of the ones above should stop as well.

P2: Although debates concerning Roblox and Minecraft are subjective and biased, the availability of hard data can make the debates objective.

Suppose two people wanted to have a debate over Minecraft and Roblox, specifically over which one is better. Both can argue for their preferred game using a variety of hard data searchable on the internet.

2.1: Sales

What better way to argue why a console or game is better than another than to appeal to the differences between the number of copies sold? Of course, one cannot necessarily deem one product better than another solely by how well it outsells/ed another product, but such findings can hield a product's impact on a market in comparison to another's, which is a good and oft-used argument to use in arguing for the superiority of a product over another. Because such data is available, such debates could be narrowed down to make the resolution less ambiguous or subjective. For instance, two can take opposite sides on the following:

"Minecraft has had a bigger impact on the gaming market than Roblox."
"Minecraft handles better on a PC than Roblox" (assuming that both games are run on the same PC)

I could go on, but I want to stop here for now and allow Pro to expound upon why comparative debates concerning Minecraft and Roblox should stop.

[1] Hemingway, Ernest. The Sun Also Rises. Ch. 15
[2] http://www.dailywritingtips.com...
[3] http://examples.yourdictionary.com...
[4]
http://www.debate.org...
[5] http://www.debate.org...
[6] http://www.debate.org...
[7] http://www.debate.org...
[too many to cite] http://www.debate.org...
[8] http://www.debate.org...

Supergreatmystic

Pro

First off: Thanks for welcoming me!
Second off: Awesome use of the scripture in your answer!
Third off:My answers will end up most likely a whole lot shorter than yours because I'm not the most descriptive person
Fourth off: I'm REALLY sorry but this is my first debate and I should have been more specific with the title! I meant that people shouldn't argue and debate about the gameplay! Other than this I totally agree with your opinions! I'm really sorry for messing that up and I hope we can continue this the right way! Anyways I'll get a start on my side of the debate!

1.Descriptive comparison
If you made a comparison of Roblox towards Minecraft via gameplay, the closest thing you'd get is: "He placed a brick as if he were playing Minecraft", but in every other situation I can't see any resemblances that you could make to Minecraft as a descriptive comparison.

2.Preferential Comparisons
First of all, Preferential: http://dictionary.reference.com...
If you preferred Roblox over Minecraft, its like saying I prefer apples over steak, if the two things have nothing to do with eachother other then the plate (Or PC in this matter), then what's the point of arguing over it?

3.Hard data that may make the debates objective
While I see your point, there's a few flaws. For example you can't compare sales because Minecraft sells the game but Roblox is free (And Builders Club is a different story).And just in my overall opinion, I don't like seeing the two compared and they should be treated as what they are.

Anyways sorry for the issue and...well...Your turn!
NNEye

Con

Rather than being a decorum-obsessed jerk, I'll allow Pro's intended purpose for this debate as its new resolution. The ammended stances for Pro and Con now read:

Pro: The gameplays of Roblox and Minecraft should no longer be compared with one another.

Con: A mandatory call to terminate discussions concerning the similarities and differences between the gameplays of Roblox and Minecraft is unreasonable.

Rebuttals: Descriptive Comparison

Pro states: "If you made a comparison of Roblox towards Minecraft via gameplay, the closest thing you'd get is: 'He placed a brick as if he were playing Minecraft', but in every other situation I can't see any resemblances that you could make to Minecraft as a descriptive comparison."

This fails to argue why such comparisons should not be made between Roblox and Minecraft, as many are made between entities who differ between each other, as explained in Round 1. Should I not compare the gameplay of Mario Kart 64 with that of San Francisco Rush 2049? Should I not compare the gameplay of Age of Empires II HD with that of League of Legends?

Contrary to Pro's assertion that, except the one he provided, additional comparisons cannot be made, Roblox and Minecraft are, indeed, more similar than in their sharing of a simple gaming mechanic of placing a brick.

Both Minecraft and Roblox are, at a foundational or vanilla (original) level, expandable sandbox games wherein users interact with and manipulate a three-dimensional world through the lens of a three-dimensional character controlled via keyboard and mouse input. Both Roblox and Minecraft allow users to create a virtual world with which users can communicate, compete with, or otherwise interact with other users and the world itself.

Although one can make the case that the intended purposes for each game differs from one another, in that Minecraft's is to reach an expected end and is otherwise ambiguous whereas Roblox's is to serve in indie game development within it, knowledgeable users have demonstrated that indie game development within Minecraft is not only possible, but a popular use of the game.

A user by the name of Sethbling is famous for his use of command blocks (programmable blocks in Minecraft wherein commands can be executed) in creating a series of single-player and multiplayer pvp (player versus player) games, such as Death Swap [1] and Pizza Speef [2]. Additionally, users can install mods and server management software such as Bukkit to allow for the creation of more innovative pvp games such as Paintball [3] and a reenactment of a Hunger Games match [4], and host them on servers capable of holding two-hundred players or more. As it is with Roblox, Minecraft can even be used for commercial use, now allowing users to monetize servers by charging other users to access servers and their features, asking for donations, and providing in-game advertizing or sponsorship opportunities [5].

Evidently, to suggest that Minecraft and Roblox are similar in only a very limited sense is simply not true, as both systems feature very similar styles of gameplay and are used for very similar purposes.

Rebuttal: Preferential Comparison

Pro states: "First of all, Preferential: http://dictionary.reference.com......If you preferred Roblox over Minecraft, its like saying I prefer apples over steak, if the two things have nothing to do with eachother other then the plate (Or PC in this matter), then what's the point of arguing over it?"

Already addressed. Reasonable debates concerning Roblox and Minecraft can be made, as they are similar in more ways than the console they run on.

Rebuttal: Hard Data that May Make the Debate Objective

"While I see your point, there's a few flaws. For example you can't compare sales because Minecraft sells the game but Roblox is free (And Builders Club is a different story).And just in my overall opinion, I don't like seeing the two compared and they should be treated as what they are.

While Roblox is free without the privileges of a Builder's Club premium account whereas Minecraft is a paid game, the same principle holds when using other hard data. Download statistics and the number of daily players can be compared between the two, just as it was in a forbes article comparing League of Legends with the paid games Call of Duty: Modern Warefare 3 and World of Warcraft in 2012 [6].

Thus far, there really is no reason to cease debates concerning the gameplays of Roblox and Minecraft, although I will leave space in Round 3 for Pro to address my rebuttals.

Thanks, by the way!

[1] https://www.youtube.com...
[2] https://www.youtube.com...
[3] https://www.youtube.com...
[4] https://www.youtube.com...
[5] https://mojang.com...
[6] http://www.forbes.com...

Supergreatmystic

Pro

1.Descriptive comparison
When you said that ROBLOX is a sandbox game, that is incorrect, Roblox is a platform built to create games that may or may not be sandbox games. Also Minecraft mods are unofficial modifications which should not be brought into this argument because that is not a part of the core game itself. Now I do agree with you that they are both 3-Dimensional, but does that have anything to do with the gameplay? Now, in a sense, yes Minecraft can be used to develop indie games, and the same with Roblox, but to create the your indie game on Minecraft is nothing like to create your indie game on Roblox, therefore you could not compare their gameplay as they work in completely different ways.
2.Preferential Comparisons
Now you said that that you had already addressed your reasons to how you could prefer Minecraft over Roblox or vice versa but now that I've contradicted that your statement is pointless
3.Hard Data
Does how many more people that play Mario effect the gameplay for the people that play Legend of Zelda?
Does hard data about which game is played more effect the experiences you get from playing the game?
Does how many players that enjoy to play Roblox and/or Minecraft effect the gameplay?

Alright sorry for being a bit short, lets see what you have to say!
NNEye

Con

I'll be brief.

Pro failed to argue why comparisons between the contrasting gameplays of Roblox and Minecraft, let alone any two or more entities or subject that differ from one another, should not be made. He agreed to every argument I made in round 1, namely that calling for a stop to comparing two unlike entites is unreasonable (including contrasting gameplays), and merely resorted to arguing that the two games are not similar. As such, he failed to affirm the resolution.

Additionally, he failed to negate my claim that both games are used for the same purposes (that aspect had nothing to do with the resolution anyway) and even affirmed that both are used to develop indie games, further opening topics of comparative debate concerning the two:

"Minecraft is a better platform for indie game development than Roblox."

Because both games incorporate differing methods to accomplish the same purposes, calling for a stop to debates concerning Roblox and Minecraft is unreasonable. Rather, I have demonstrated that such debates are reasonable.

Thanks for the debate.
Posted by fireworks 9 months ago
fireworks
Lol, lets admit it: We never played Minecraft, and we would say Roblox is better vice versa.
Posted by NNEye 2 years ago
NNEye
To any voter, vote tie.
Posted by Supergreatmystic 2 years ago
Supergreatmystic
I really only wanted to do this mostly because I'm tired of everyone rambling and comparing the games to each other, I just want the two communities to get along and stop comparing things like this to each other!
Posted by Supergreatmystic 2 years ago
Supergreatmystic
Well I have a big hole in my stomache that says: "You lost, you lost baaaaad" but I also have an encouraging tingle that says "Wow that was cool!" xD Anyways thanks for helping me do my first debate I guess, your like 6 years older than me so...yeah, but that's fine at least, at least I learned a few things for future debates I might make!
Posted by NNEye 2 years ago
NNEye
"Descriptive descriptions."

Argument made at around 11:30 at night...
Posted by Supergreatmystic 2 years ago
Supergreatmystic
Yeah but your the vocabulary master! xD Alright I'm writing my comeback now! And thanks for not being a "decorum-obsessed jerk"
Posted by NNEye 2 years ago
NNEye
Well I guess spelling should go to you :D
Posted by Supergreatmystic 2 years ago
Supergreatmystic
You also accidently spelled Roblox "Robolox" xD
Posted by NNEye 2 years ago
NNEye
Pardon my spelling error in round 1; "hield" should read "yield."