jordan.leckband
wingnut2280

People shouldn't judge music on genre alone.

Started: 12/12/2007 Category: Arts

jordan.leckband

Pro

There are many, many talented musicians in every genre. Whether it is pop, rap, R&B, rock, indie, jazz, etc; there are great musicians. Of course, there are the not-so-good musicians as well, but more times than less, the less popular or less talented musicians tend to be spelled out of the genre than the more popular or more talented ones. For instance, when it comes to the saxophone in general, more people think of Kenny G than they think of Ornette Coleman. When it comes to bassists, people know about Pete Wentz way more than Victor Wooten. It's the same in every genre and every instrument, but it shouldn't be like that. Genres shouldn't be defined by just the weaker musicians that found their niche in their particular style.
wingnut2280

Con

I totally agree that weak musicians should not define a genre. If that is the argument you want to make then I am at a loss. The topic, however, wants to claim that people shouldn't judge music based on genre.

I think this is generally false. The examples you give are of musicians and instruments, rahter than bands and genres. Each genre has a particular kind of sound. This is increasingly true as we specify the genre. All country music has a similar sound (to an extent), classic country more so. This similar sound gives people insight to the musicians/bands in the genre. If this were not true, there would be no such thing as genres or that band/musician would not belong in that genre.

Given this insight, people can make a generalized decision as to that similar sound and determine, in extreme cases, whether or not to listen to that particular genre. If I look at a bunch of grapes and see that the first few grapes are soured, I can make a generally correct inference and safely assume that the rest of the grapes will be similar.
jordan.leckband

Pro

Just because a lot of genres have artists that make the genre sound the same, it doesn't necessarily mean that the genre is good or bad. For instance, you could have two metal bands: Avenged Sevenfold and Cradle of Filth. While Avenged Sevenfold has undeniable talent and musicianship while still keeping the base of metal in their music, Cradle of Filth has the base of metal down well, but they don't go anywhere with it. Another example is the debate on who is better: Blur or Oasis? Both are huge in the 90's Brit Pop scene, and both absolutely hate each other. Both have their great songs and songs that just don't seem to make the grade. Oasis got to the public more with songs like "Wonderwall" and "Champagne Supernova", but Blur's only really big song was "Song 2", which was featured on a lot of commercials.

Also, What about pop? You have a lot of pop artists like Alicia Keys and Christina Aguilera that are tremendously talented and artists like Britney Spears that give the pop scene a bad reputation. Is pop a bad thing? Absolutely not, but that of course is a whole different subject that is up for debate. There are a lot of great "emo" bands out there, but they get a bad reputation because of their tactics and behaviors. This probably isn't the greatest topic to have a debate on, because everyone has a different taste in music. That's what makes music great, but the way people choose their music isn't right.
wingnut2280

Con

Yes, bands in a particular genre are different, to a degree. But, as I stated before (and you seem to agree with me here) the bands in a particular genre all have a SIMILAR sound. Without that similar sound, there would be no genre. Yes, each band is different, but these similar sounds are what define the genre, and ultimately people's tastes. Avenged Sevenfold and Cradle of Filth are different and have different styles, but can be lumped into the same genre. If someone has an extreme dislike for one, they will most likely not like the other.

It is the nature of the genre that groups bands together. Though all bands have slight differences, bands in the same genre have a similar sound. This similar sound equates to similarities in the band, which people can either identify with or not. Though it is a generalization, it is safe to say that I can make a judgement on a set of bands, based on the genre they are classified into, because the slight differences in style, technique, etc. will not be enough to effectively or drastically change my opinion between two bands in the same genre. If I don't like a handful of country musicians, I can safely say that I don't like country music, eventhough other country musicians are slightly different than the ones I have heard.

The only exception here would be if I liked and disliked two bands in the same genre. However, if I specify the genre enough, this problem would be resolved (as I stated in round 1). For example, if I liked one rock band, and disliked another, I could specify my genre into screamo rock and classic rock which would divide them and allow me to make a decision based on genre.

In general, I think it is obvious that this is the very purpose genres serve. Genres allow us to make these sweeping judgements safely because, by defintion, all bands in a particular genre will have the same likeable or dislikeable characteristics that will determine whether or not we like them. Even though the bands may have slight differences, that can either 1) put them in different genres if the difference is significant enough or 2) not be enough of a difference to change our opinion. These two options let us use genres, solely, to make our musical judgements.

You obviously have a lot of musical insight and I really enjoyed the debate.
Posted by thirdworldpoet 9 years ago
thirdworldpoet
i mean i dont like heavy metal.. but sum songs are ok... i guess. i dn i mean this debate doesnt really have a point
Vote Placed by Tatarize 9 years ago
Tatarize
jordan.leckbandwingnut2280Tied
Vote Placed by thirdworldpoet 9 years ago
thirdworldpoet
jordan.leckbandwingnut2280Tied
Vote Placed by Maddy 9 years ago
Maddy
jordan.leckbandwingnut2280Tied
Vote Placed by Ambition 9 years ago
Ambition
jordan.leckbandwingnut2280Tied
Vote Placed by TheRedneckCabbie 9 years ago
TheRedneckCabbie
jordan.leckbandwingnut2280Tied
Vote Placed by forensics 9 years ago
forensics
jordan.leckbandwingnut2280Tied