Minimack
QueenofCats

People take racism, sexism, religion, etc. too literally

Minimack

Pro

I saw a debate going about how racist, sexist, and other jokes of the same category should not be taken literally. I agree with that. I also think people take this kind of thing way to serious and read too much into it.
QueenofCats

Con

Of course they take it literally! Racism, Sexism and religion jokes you may consider funny but can be very hurtful for some people. Though we have Freedom of Speech that doesn't mean we shouldn't have courtesy. After years of prejudices most people have the right to take your jokes literally and be offended by them as well.
Minimack

Pro

If something is meant to be funny, and not literal, I say you have the right to get upset if offends you. But, what I'm saying is people just go WAY overboard. If I say something about a Mexican, to deliberately make them made or hurt them about having a funny accent, (only for an example, i would never do this) they can get mad at me. However, if I only tell a joke about a Mexican accent, no one needs to start a fight over it. That's what happens way too much.

Being called a name, or having someone make a snide comment about you that offends you, that's when it is okay to react in a way you see fit. But when someone only says something for fun or to be funny, that's when you (A) don't laugh, (B) tell them, in a calm manner, "I don't think that is something that should have been said I know you were trying to be funny, but it was just rude", or (C) Say nothing, and be internally mad.

One more thing, just to clear things up:
I was not being prejudice against Mexican people, it was just the first thing that popped into my mind, for an example. I apologize if it did make anyone upset.
QueenofCats

Con

It's true some people will go very overboard when it comes to these types of jokes but I really can't think of anything that makes them okay in the first place. People are always touchy when it comes to race and such so you really can't afford to make those comments.
Minimack

Pro

People have every right to make whatever joke they like. I agree that they should keep opinions to themselves, bu just because someone is not okay with jokes about race or sex does not mean everyone should not be aloud to say them.

I am blonde and I have heard some of the worst and best blonde jokes ever. I find them funny, because I know that being blonde does not make me dumb. (plus on TV its always the red head who are seen as idiots) If someone told a joke about a Jew or a Mexican that doesn't mean that the person they are telling, who may happen to be a jewish person or a mexican-american, is whatever the joke makes them out to be. They should not view it as such.
QueenofCats

Con

QueenofCats forfeited this round.
Minimack

Pro

Minimack forfeited this round.
QueenofCats

Con

QueenofCats forfeited this round.
Minimack

Pro

....My argument stands
QueenofCats

Con

QueenofCats forfeited this round.