biccaboo
MethedztheDebater

People that self harm are not crazy

biccaboo

biccaboo

Pro

It has been known for the mentally-ill to be called "crazy", and are told that they have and deserve no rights. Specificaly people that self harm. People that self harm are not crazy. Self harm is a way to releive your anger, sadness, or they think that they deserve what harm they are inflicting onto one's self. People that self harm normally hide their scars, cuts, burns, etc and the people that don't normally just are seeking help. People with Depression are normally SH the most.
MethedztheDebater

Con

Any type of self harm is indeed crazy. Normal people on the streets do not cut themselves, or jump off of towers, and it's certainly not a normal way to express your self, you have expressions. If you are to harm yourself, you don't grasp how important a life is, and that you have lost all hope. I would not hang myself to express my feelings, or make my arms bleed and scar. So, yes the topic of self harm is usually fallen under crazy.
Also, should've added more characters.
biccaboo

Pro

The definition of crazy is,"mentally deranged, especially as manifested in a wild or aggressive way." stated by google. I agree, there are people that do it for attention, but the people that do it for attention most likely had something wrong with them as well. I take a psychology class and this topic interests me. People that self harm have a Mental Health issue. It would surprise you how many "on the street" actually self mutilate themselves. Some people self harm in places that are hidden.
MethedztheDebater

Con

MethedztheDebater forfeited this round.
biccaboo

Pro

Mental Health plays a major role day to day lives, according to google search,"1 in 4 adult Americans suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year. "That's 57.7 million people! and that is not counting children and teens. "Depression is the leading cause of disability worldwide.",Google.If you were to walk a mile in a city right now, you would pass over 100 people that has been a mental illness, almost all has had a person they know have a disorder. A lot a them have self harmed.
MethedztheDebater

Con

MethedztheDebater forfeited this round.
Posted by NoItsNot 1 year ago
NoItsNot
It all depends on what your definition of crazy is. People who self harm most of the time have problems going on that can be external or internal, and they see self harm as a way of dealing or distracting. One can even self harm simply so they may feel something, as they may feel numb. Many people who hear of self harm will be quick to call someone crazy for it, but it's not that simple. Imagine a person who smokes, for example. I've often heard that they smoke to relieve stress and it puts them at ease, and yet we do not call them crazy. While self harm is indeed a more severe form of coping, etc.. it would be unwise to simply label those who do do it as crazy. Instead, you could try to understand them and that they may have a serious mental condition. Now I'm not saying every person that harms themselves are struggling with mental problems. I also know individuals who would harm themselves because it was what the crowd they hung out with did. But more often than not, you will find that the person who has cut themselves, burned themselves, pulled their hair, hit their head, etc.. has a mental disorder such as depression or Borderline Personality Disorder. People who self harm are indeed not crazy; they are struggling to cope with problems.
Posted by ThewordofGod 1 year ago
ThewordofGod
wylted: it's not a fad mate, or because of emo. It's a serious psychological condition that is misunderstood by the masses and a laymans understanding is that which you have just demonstrated: a choice (fad) that people make because they are silly. This nieve approach to mental health is one of the biggest problems facing people with mental health problems today.
Posted by Andromeda_Z 1 year ago
Andromeda_Z
This was not what I was hoping for when I clicked on this debate, but if anyone wants to debate the validity of self-harm as a coping mechanism, hmu!
Posted by condeelmaster 1 year ago
condeelmaster
come on man! there are healthier ways to relief anger and stress, like meditation or exercise or psychoanalysis.. .
Posted by squonk 1 year ago
squonk
"Self harm is a way to releive your anger, sadness, or they think that they deserve what harm they are inflicting onto one's self." Sure, and all that is unhealthy. Find a healthier way to cope with sadness or anger.
Posted by Wylted 1 year ago
Wylted
They aren't crazy, but its a fad and emo bullshitt. This is the danger of having idiots like dr Phil inadvertently promote it
Posted by ThewordofGod 1 year ago
ThewordofGod
Loose the word crazy because it's far too weighted and meaningless when describing human behaviour.

Weighted in that it carries with it a strong, nieve depiction of a persons behaviour, and meaningless because ultimately it doesn't describe anything accurately in human behaviour.
Posted by condeelmaster 1 year ago
condeelmaster
I would like to debate on this, but I have a question: what's being crazy?

Anyway, if you are putting up this debate cause you practice self harming, search for some help buddy.

Cheers!!
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
biccabooMethedztheDebaterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Two forfeited turns by Con.