J1Lawrence
PIgoe

People today are becoming more ignorant.

J1Lawrence

Pro

I believe that people are becoming much more ignorant. The world has become dumb and avoids the true problems and fills these gaps with the false security of owning items. We use technology for every gap that the human can to fulfill. Humans need to wake up and smell the roses. The world is not getting any younger and neither are we. Why not harness everyone's talents and empower ourselves and the world to becoming more powerful. If we work together changes will happen. Humans are ignorant we are afraid to accept the truth because it hurts. But when it Hurts the truth will come out regardless we are all ignorant. It is the one word that every sin can simultaneously revolve around without debate. Once we wake up and realize these facts we will be able to work together to build a strong more unified world and then will we be able to reach our true potential as the most influential and discovering human beings in the history of the world. Segregation has always defeated us. Lets put a foot in the door towards change.
PIgoe

Con

I accept the debate.
I should firstly say that the key flaw of the arguments put forward by opponent is the fact that the assumption is made that a failure to act for the benefit of others equates to ignorance and that knowledge entails action. I might be highly educated and aware of several issues pertaining to mankind, yet I may choose to simply live my life selfishly. This would maybe be amoral of me, but not ignorant. It is possible to be aware of one's moral obligations (should they exist) without acting in accordance with them. To avoid a discussion of pure semantics I will attempt to argue contra the original statement in the spirit I suspect my opponent intended.
I shall base my responses on the following definitions.

Ignorant
1. Lacking education or knowledge.

2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.

3. Unaware or uninformed.
People
1. Humans considered as a group or in indefinite numbers: People were dancing in the street. I met all sorts of people.

(as in humans in general rather than those of a particular nationality)
We are not getting more ignorant. I will demonstrate this by pointing to the increased knowledge and awareness individuals demonstrate, particularly in respect to humanitarian causes (since my opponent has placed an emphasis upon this). People all over the world participate in philanthropic and humanitarian causes. Capitalism is not so prevalent in the world that solipsistic, materialistic ideals can be attributed to the majority of human beings on the planet. In general human beings do work together for "the greater good". If we are getting more ignorant, I would like my opponent to suggest a time when we were more enlightened. I also do not hold the position that there is one "truth" that all human beings must behold. It would also be impossible to demonstrate that all human beings are afraid of any single notion (in reference to the claim that people are fearful of this "truth"). We do not have insights into the minds of others to make such claims.

This argument will rely heavily on evidence drawn from the actions of organisations and individuals. My opponent will have to find a way to demonstrate the ignorant, fearful attitudes of all people, whilst I hold that I can refute the original statement by providing examples of actions to the contrary. Thus I will gladly demonstrate that humans are not getting more ignorant. I will demonstrate the above by providing evidence for the following:
  • Education standards improving worldwide and IQ continues to increase worldwide - Flynn effect.
  • Technology is not solely or even predominantly used as a distraction for the masses.Technological developments have aided improved education, better healthcare, disease prevention and poverty eradication schemes.
  • More and more government organisations exist to tackle humanitarian causes that pertain to all people, whether rich or poor. Examples include the EU which was first developed in order to promote peace and stability in participating nations. United Nations set up to preserve human rights of all individuals, deal with and prevent conflict, WHO exists to monitor and improve the health of individuals worldwide
  • The general population demonstrates increasing awareness of and involvement in, several domestic and non-domestic causes
I will provide citations in the next rounds.
I am new to this website so please forgive me if I am responsible for any faux pas!
J1Lawrence

Pro

J1Lawrence forfeited this round.
PIgoe

Con

PIgoe forfeited this round.
J1Lawrence

Pro

J1Lawrence forfeited this round.
PIgoe

Con

PIgoe forfeited this round.
Posted by dylancatlow 4 years ago
dylancatlow
I would debate this, but I feel that it wouldn't be an interesting debate because I doubt Pro will provide much.