gotnoname
w.toosmart

People under 16 should ride the bus for free

gotnoname

Con

I think that people under 16 should not ride the bus for free. Children these days are so lazy and need to get some exercise. If children under 16 ride the bus for free, there is no way that kids will be willing to walk somewhere instead of riding the bus. Another reason why children under 16 should not ride the bus for free is that they will take advantage of it. A lot of children under 16 don't ride the city bus with their friends just for fun. But, if they can ride it for free, they could wreck the bus and it could cost the city more money to fix those damages. Also, many children don't earn allowance. I did a survey in a grade 7/8 class (12-14 years of age) and not even one quarter of the class gets allowance. That means that even of they go on the bus, their parents probably pay for it either way which means that it is already free for the children. Finally, the last point I wanted to mention is that it will be taking the money from the people who work for the bus lines. Pretty much all of the prices are raising like crazy these days. The people who work for the bus lines will not get as much salary as they used to. If people under 16 don't pay to go on the bus, they are pretty much taking the money away that the people that work for bus lines deserve.

I have presented my arguments.

I wish my opponent good luck.
w.toosmart

Pro

I do agree with most of your points, but if they don't get their exercise, it is their problems. People who are under sixteen are all in school, at least they should be. So, they have Physical education, that way there is really nothing to worry about. There is some kids that can't afford the bus, so there is another great thing. The government is supposed to help fund the city, so really they should have the solution to this. They (the government) should have money stored up for more service in cities and it count for the salaries for the people who work for the bus lines.
gotnoname

Con

You do have very good points, but children should be getting 90 minutes of exercise everyday. Kids can't get 90 minutes of exercise by just doing Physical education. It is true that it is their problem but we can also help them with their problem. Even in Physical education, many students who don't like Phys. Ed make excuses or just don't come to school. It is true that some kids can't afford the bus but that's when carpooling comes in. If kids need to go to soccer practice, they can carpool with other team mates which makes it environmentally friendly as well. Your last point is also very true but in reality, the government probably wouldn't really want to spend money on the damages that the children made and will probably want to ban children under 16 to go on the bus for free. Salaries would be hard to pay for if they had to spend money on the damages and other things.
w.toosmart

Pro

You need to give kids and teens more credit.
gotnoname

Con

Kids and teens already have everything they deserve. They go to school so they already have free bus transportation there. They don't need to do the groceries because that's what their parents/guardians probably do. And, last but not least, I think that if kids go to the mall together, they could always get picked up by a friend's parent's/guardian's car or in their own parent's/guardian's car. I think that children are perfectly fine without having free city bus transportation. It saves not only money but children can also get more exercise as well. This is why I think people under 16 should not ride the bus for free.
w.toosmart

Pro

I know what you mean, but the kid's parent pay taxes to the government, so they should goods like free transportation. What if their parent were busy? Then they can't go anywhere. Which means no convenience, so I still think it is a great idea. You got some great points though. We deserve that right.
Posted by w.toosmart 4 years ago
w.toosmart
I am the Pro. Not the challenger.
Posted by DanT 4 years ago
DanT
And I thought the challenger was pro
Posted by DanT 4 years ago
DanT
nvm looks like someone accepted
Posted by DanT 4 years ago
DanT
Is first round acceptance only?