Crystamon
frankfurter50

Percy Jackson is better than Harry Potter

Crystamon has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 2 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

Crystamon

Pro

I am with the motion.
Percy Jackson, with his amazing water skills, is much better than Harry Potter's magical skills. Also, the book is based on the mortal world where we are living in. The author really tried to connect the book and the real world, but Harry Potter is a totally different magical world.
Therefore, I stand with the motion.
frankfurter50

Con

I don't like Harry Potter, but I hate Percy Jackson even more. Percy Jackson is devoid of imagination and the characters are all unlikable.

Harry Potter, while it is a piece of tripe, still established the whole genre of magical kids and revived fantasy as a popular genre. It has likable characters, an original plot, and, while the magical, weird stuff is never quite explained, and there are plenty of plot holes, all seven books could be read through if I absolutely had to. J.K. Rowling was very imaginative in the way she wrote the stuff and the world she created is very cool.

Percy Jackson, though, is beyond awful. In fifth grade, I was supposed to read the thing, it was an inch thick and I never got past the first monotonous chapter before kicking the thing into the trash can. Nothing about the series is original. The author shamelessly tries to cash in on the success of Harry Potter and implements Greek mythology to seem like a know it all. There's nothing intriguing about it. For one, I hate novels where a kid is the main character, because they're incapable of making good decisions when presented with a major dilemma, but I also hate kid novels because you can tell that they're written to appeal to kids and the author is a kid. I hate kid stuff. It's immature. Harry Potter at least is written by a mature person and has a relatively mature plot. Percy Jackson is the same old thing- a kid lives a normal life, finds that something about his life is cool, then does cool stuff and accepts his new identity as a superhero or whatever. The whole thing is ridiculous and the way the author pulled it off was dull.

There's some kid, and he lives with his parent, or whatever, and then he finds out he's a Greek god or something, bla bla bla, he goes and meets some Greek mythical stuff, bla bla bla, something about his dad, and then he saves the day, and then Rick Riordian puts out another novel, and keeps putting out series about mythology that range from Egyptian mythology to Norse mythology. It's incredibly painful, and I don't know why the heck he deserves all that money just because he wrote about a kid and some Greek mythology.

Ooh, boy, and the way you say that Percy Jackson is "REAL" makes me real mad. There's nothing in the book that's REAL. There's a guy with a horse head and stuff. You can't say that it's REAL. It incorporates the religion of some people who lived two thousand years ago, and you can't just put some kind of nutty gods who live on an invisible mountain into the real world. It can't be done. Percy Jackson is nothing but an absolute fantasy. On average, I'd say that both Percy Jackson and Harry Potter spend the same amount of time in each book in the real world. Harry Potter is with the evil fat family for the first chapter or so, Percy gets to be in the real world at the beginning and end. The whole thing is just tripe, but if I had to choose one magical kid, I'd go with Harry Potter, because Percy Jackson is a shameless ripoff and a disgrace to humanity.

I await your next argument.
Posted by frankfurter50 2 weeks ago
frankfurter50
Well said, sir.
Posted by frankfurter50 2 weeks ago
frankfurter50
Well said, sir.
Posted by SirNoodles518 2 weeks ago
SirNoodles518
I feel like Harry Potter was more unique/original and is more timeless than Percy Jackson.