imagenius27
Zaradi

Percyy Jackson is better than Harry Potter

imagenius27

Pro

Yes this is quite a lame topic but i beg to differ. I argue that PJ is better than HP story-wise and character-wise. Percy J has a better story line. It is not confusing neither is it serious. Its funny too and it is NOT boring.
Zaradi

Con

This debate should be fun, since I"m a fan of both series

Since (I think) my opponent started with his opening argument, I wil refute his and come out with mine. I argue that for the reasons my opponent states, that Harry Potter is better than Percy Jackson, as well as a point of my own that will be mentioned later.

But first, let's go through the points he makes. For simplicity, Percy Jackson will be referenced as PJ (not peanut butter jelly, although that makes me hungry) from now on, and Harry Potter will be referenced as HP from now on.

"PJ has a better story-line."

On the contrary, HP has the far better story line. While the plot of PJ is far too jumpy and really scatter-brained looking, the plot for HP follows smoothly from one event to the next, with hardly a wild, crazy jump between books, as we see from the PJ books. Thusly, HP's story-line is far superior, and a reason why HP is better than PJ.

"PJ has better characters."

On the contrary, HP has far more realistic, relatable characters that actually seem like they could exist. This is for a few reasons: 1. JK Rowling put a vastly superior amount of time into the history and backstory to her books, designing each individual character trait and flaw to each character, major or minor, which trumps Rick Riordan's one little book about random adventures no one cares about. 2. The characters in HP have more depth than the characters in PJ. The only deeply intriguing and interesting character that has more to her than just appears on the surface is Annabeth, but she alone isn't enough to support the entire series. Even the main character, Percy himself, is pretty shallow and not that well developed throughout the entire series. On the other hand, virtually every character in the HP universe has interesting quirks and things that no one would suspect about them, everywhere from major to minor, which makes HP superior in the catagory of characters.

"PJ had a better story line."

Already went over this.

Because HP has better characters and a superior storyline to it, HP is clearly better than PJ. But as a point independent of my opponent's case...

The HP movies were at least somewhat in line with the book.

Yeah, that's right, I went there. The HP movies are good AND in line with what the books actually talk about, for the most part. While the PJ movie might be a decent movie, independent of any series, when it's put in comparrison to the actual book it was meant to represent, they barely even got the names right. Almost none of the events in the movie were in line, or even semi in line, with what the book was talking about, and as a formerly hardcore PJ fan, I cringed throughout the entire movie as the book I loved so dearly was butchered and fed to the wolves.

Thus, because HP is better book-wise and movie-wise, HP is far superior to PJ.
imagenius27

Pro

imagenius27 forfeited this round.
Zaradi

Con

I think I may have posted too much and scared him off.

My bad.
imagenius27

Pro

imagenius27 forfeited this round.
Zaradi

Con

Awh. I was hoping someone would actually argue this! Lame.
Oh well. Vote me.
Posted by Tjsurfcity 4 years ago
Tjsurfcity
Well.. that debate turned around quickly.