Doulos1202
Truin

Performance enhancing supplements are both un-necessary and potentially harmful for teens

Doulos1202

Pro

To be specific, I am arguing that I am not against the use of supplements geared towards athletic performance. I do believe that the recreational use of supplements for teens/young adults between the ages of 16 and 22 are both un-necessary and more harmful than beneficial to the individual. To keep the debate interesting, I am open to all supplements both legal/illegal which are considered "performance enhancers" or "dietary" with the exception of multivitamins. To avoid confusion I will provide definitions of the focal point of the argument. I look forward to an engaging debate as this is growing more controversial as the supplement industry continues to rapidly grow.

rec•re•a•tion•al
(of a drug or medication) used for recreation and enjoyment rather than to treat a medical condition.

sup•ple•ment
Something added to complete a thing, supply a deficiency, or reinforce or extend a whole.

Round 1 Acceptance
Round 2 Opening arguments
Round 3 Rebuttals
Round 4 Rebuttals and closing arguments
Truin

Con

I accept but please give in your first arguement examples of suggested drugs so I can understand fully thank you. I hope for an enlightened debate.
Doulos1202

Pro

Thank you Truin for accepting this debate prior to my opening arguments I will be happy to localize the types of supplements we will be discussing and from there we can go into the details of each. I will be speaking of the following supplements:

Thermogenics (fat Burners), creatine (specifically monohydrate), protein, testosterone boosters, BCAA's, growth hormone supplements and anabolic steroids.

I will once again state that I am not against the use of performance enhancing supplements but there is a big however. There are many factors as to why the listed supplements can be more harmful than beneficial to the individual also not necessary seeing how at that age the body is still developing and still producing necessary hormones to keep up with activities, from sedentary to rigorous.

Supplements that promise not only faster results but better results influence the attitude that hard work comes secondary to the type of supplements you are taking in. All of the ingredients that supplements offer (proteins, amino acids, and vitamins) can be adequately provided with a healthy diet. Our food supply provides a unique balance that cannot be duplicated by taking any combination of supplements. In addition, eating is one of life's pleasures. However, it is evident by supplement sales totaling over $23.7 billion a year that much is invested in the hope that supplements will help. [1]

The body also treats the listed supplements above as "synthetic". For example to effectively load creatine monohydrate in the body the user must not only take increased amounts for the first 5 days but must also continue a consistent regiment of it for months at a time to start seeing noticeable results. [2] Over time the body will slowly cease to producing natural ATP (ingredient found in creatine, transfers chemical energy to promote metabolism). Once the individual decides to cease taking creatine he/she faces the consequences increased muscle deterioration due to the fact that the body must fight to catch up producing natural chemicals. The same goes for protein supplements, testosterone, and fat burners (if requested either by the voters or Con I will gladly go into detail).

Collectively these supplements also strain vital organs due to the difficulty of digestion. The two in particular being the kidneys and liver take the brunt of the damage. According to Mayo Clinic, the kidneys and liver work to eliminate the by-products of protein metabolism, and may be taxed by the overuse of protein shakes and similar products. Over an extended period of time, protein shakes can damage the liver or kidneys, or may worsen pre-existing cases of organ failure. [3]

Thermogenics, and pre-workout supplements combined also quickly dehydrate the body seeing how they are both packed with doses of up to 200mg of caffeine in their products. [4] This is not including the energy drinks, coffee, and other stimulants the individual may be taking daily.

With BCAA's (Branched chain Amino Acids) the body must undergo rigorous amounts of training to adequately balance the amount of BCAA's being digested into the body. Once again both essential and nonessential amino acids can be provided through a healthy diet. The majority of these supplements offer some portion of BCAA's. Research has shown that massive amounts of BCAA's can be harmful to the liver. [5]

Let's talk about anabolic steroids; I will say that there are large quantities of evidence those anabolic steroids to provide medicinal benefits to those who need it (i.e. muscular dystrophy, patients with low T cells, COPD, and other hormone deficiencies) however this is not the argument. The potential for abuse increases drastically of those using AS recreationally. Not only that the lack of education of AS can lead significant medical complications due to higher risk of misuse dosages. Another study combined methyltestosterone (15 mg/d) with imipramine (25-50 mg/d) and found a prompt paranoid response in 4 of 5 men treated. In a 1983 study of 32 weightlifters using AASs, 56% reported a temporary increase in self-defined irritability and aggressive behavior. When these psychoactive effects combine with strong positive reinforcement from weight and strength gains, as well as from improved self-image, AASs can prove addictive. [6]

[1] http://www.ext.colostate.edu...
[2] http://reference.medscape.com...
[3] http://www.livestrong.com...
[4] http://www.gnc.com...
[5] http://www.health24.com...
[6] http://emedicine.medscape.com...
Truin

Con

Truin forfeited this round.
Doulos1202

Pro

Extend all arguments. This is most unfortunate.
Truin

Con

Truin forfeited this round.
Doulos1202

Pro

Extend arguments... I will re-post this debate in hopes that there will be a challenger who will actually post a rebuttal.
Truin

Con

Truin forfeited this round.