zkolodny
toootrooo

Perpetual Solitary Confinement Violates the 8th Amendment of the United States Constitution

zkolodny

Pro

Debate Format

Round 1
-Acceptance

Rounds 2-4-Arguements/Rebuttals

Round 5-Conclusions

toootrooo

Con

Doesn't matter what amendment it violates the US is not a democracy and people's so-called right are railroaded at will by the powerful. Ninety percent of American did not want, condone or support the invasion of Iraq and yet...... what amendment does that violate? A child that is treated with love, understanding and respect as A PERSON will not require punishment as he will find nothing he need rebel against as all will be intelligently explained to him/her including their boundaries and limitations.
zkolodny

Pro

I ask that my partner state a specific arguement agaisnt the resolution that "Perpetual Solitary Confinement Violates the 8th Amendment of the United States Constitution." In the mean time, I will proceed to my opening arguement. Perpetual solitary confinement has detrimental effects on a prisoner as "...half of all American prison suicides are committed by prisoners held in isolation", according to nationalpost.com. In addition, there was a prisoner in solitary confinement who saw a prisoner go "...in that m[solitary confinement] for three years because they went off on a police officer..." (according to aeon.com). Is this anyway to run what is supposed to be a just and humane justice system. Do these high suicide rates not constitute cruel and unusual punishments?

http://aeon.co...

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com...;
toootrooo

Con

toootrooo forfeited this round.
zkolodny

Pro

I ask that my debate opponent put forth an arguement, In the meanwhile, I might add, isn't cruel and unusual punishment known to purposefully inflict unecessary pain (physical/emotional) on a prisoner. Therefore, isn't being cramed in a 6*10 ft cell a cause of unecessary pain?
toootrooo

Con

toootrooo forfeited this round.
zkolodny

Pro

zkolodny forfeited this round.
toootrooo

Con

toootrooo forfeited this round.
zkolodny

Pro

Perpetual Solitary confinement has well know detrimental effects on the psychological well-being of prisoners. How is that not cruel an unusual?
toootrooo

Con

toootrooo forfeited this round.