GoldenDragon29
ambivalentsoul

Personal Searches in school, Lockers, backpacks, etc.

ambivalentsoul

GoldenDragon29

Con

I believe that students should have the right to have personal items in their backpack. I understand that some students may have dangerous items in school, but many people are innocent and they just want to keep their PERSONAL items personal.
ambivalentsoul

Pro

First off, I'm going to start by saying I come from a school with a bunch of kids who smoke weed and think it's cool to talk about it out loud. I think that personal searches are necessary if a teacher or staff member is under suspicion that someone has dangerous weapons or illegal drugs with them. If teachers were unable to do personal searches, things like that would go unnoticed therefore putting the lives of students in danger. What if someone were to bring a knife or gun to school and the teachers were suspicious that that person could possibly be harmful in any way, but they couldn't search through his stuff? Then there is definitely going to be a problem.
GoldenDragon29

Con

Yes you could be right in some cases, but personal locker/backpack searches would violate the 4th amendment:

The right of the people to be secure in their personals, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

At the school I attend people have things in their backpacks that they shouldn't have but, I think that the school should find another way to hsndle these types of situations.
ambivalentsoul

Pro

I don't know about you, but I would feel awfully unsafe at my school if I knew someone was carrying around a knife or gun. If a teacher has reason to suspect that a student is carrying illegal drugs or weapons of any sort, they should have every right to search their locker, bag, etc. If someone is storing something harmful in their locker, which is the schools property I might add, they should without a doubt be able to search the locker and find out if there is something in there for the sake of other students safety. Also, if a student brings illegal drugs to school, the teachers would be doing a very good thing by searching them for the drugs. If they're illegal, they shouldn't have them at school and the authorities should be called. I think being able to search lockers and bags would be doing the community a favor.
GoldenDragon29

Con

Yes I agree that some people MAY be carrying harmful drugs or weaponry, but again I say the general population of the school is innocent, some of the innocent people may be carrying personal hygiene items or other items that would be embarrassing if anyone else saw.
ambivalentsoul

Pro

And I might add again, they should only be searching someone if they have reason to suspect that they have something they should not. However, I do believe that if someone seems innocent and have no reason to be searched, then they shouldn't be. If someone reliable and mature is the one looking through the students stuff, then they should have nothing to worry about. I would take embarrassment over someone thinking I have something with me that is illegal or harmful any day.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
GoldenDragon29ambivalentsoulTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro brought up good valid points that "Personal searches" is essential for safety in schools.