Persons convicted of a pedophilic crime ought to be treated and not incarcerated in all instances.
Debate Rounds (4)
2.Pedophilia is a recognized mental disorder by the American Psychiatric Association.
3.Persons with mental disorders may have no self-control over their actions; some are completely oblivious to their behavior.
4.Recently, a number of studies have started changing the view that Pedophiles can be treated. It has been studied that one can be born with a brain predisposed to experience sexual arousal in response to children from a very early age.
5.Being born with a mental disorder such as the tendencies of Pedophilia makes treatment difficult, because genetic disorders cannot be eliminated by treatment, thus making incarceration a better alternative.
6.Incarceration is good.
7.There is no specific scientific study in which an alternative measure has been found to change the nature of a pedophile.
8.Although a person is not considered a pedophile wholly until he or she acts on the desire of sexually molesting a child. Once the pedophile has acted, incarceration instead of isolation and treatment is an appropriate method to prevent the child molester to act out any further desires.
9.To isolate as a measure of treatment, only allows for the offender to transgress building on the sexual desires evoked by the solitude experienced.
10.Solitude makes the offender dangerous to society and susceptible to the presence of young children.
11.Therefore, pedophiles should be incarcerated and not treated.
2.According to the American Psychiatric Association, pedophilia is perceived as a mental disorder. Based on this definition, a pedophile is a person who suffers from a mental disorder which causes them to be sexually and physically attracted to adolescent children. (Statement of the American Psychological Association Regarding Pedophilia and the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5). (n.d.). Retrieved November 18, 2014, from http://www.apa.org...)
3.In an article written by Ray Blanchard, an adjunct psychiatry professor at the University of Toronto, he states that "pedophiles would be diagnosed with pedophilic disorder either if their attractions toward children are causing them guilt, anxiety alienation, or difficulty in pursuing other personal goals, or else if their urges cause them to approach children for sexual gratification in real life."
4.Pedophiles have to be diagnosed in order for them to receive treatment. (Feature, W. (n.d.). What is Pedophilia: FAQ on Pedophiles and Pedophilia. Retrieved November 18, 2014, from http://www.webmd.com...)
5.According to the article Why Punish Guilty, Wasserstrom (1964) states that "treatment, however, must be believed capable of improving a present condition". (p.329). If a person who commits a pedophilic crime is mentally incapable of distinguishing right from wrong, it would be wrong to incarcerate that individual because he/she is mentally sick.
6.If you treat persons who have been convicted of pedophilic crimes, there will be less sexually committed acts against children.
7.If you treat persons who have been convicted of pedophilic crimes, there will be a decrease in the number of pedophiles in the world.
8.Pedophilic crimes are sexually committed acts towards children driven by a pedophile"s thoughts and feelings.
9.Examples of pedophilic crimes are the rape and molestation of adolescent children.
10.Less sexually committed acts against children are good.
11.The negative consequences of treating persons who have been convicted of a pedophilic crime is that they can continue to commit pedophilic crimes after treatment, which is characterized as a repeat offense, and that after treatment pedophiles will continue to have sexually thoughts about children. Therefore, the root problem is not dealt with, but is acceptable in light of less sexual crimes against children being committed.
12.Therefore, persons convicted of a pedophilic crime ought to be treated and not incarcerated in all instances.
We"ve already discussed the actual definition of pedophilia and its concepts, as well as what entails pedophilia. However, lets discuss the adverse affects a child molester has on the child. Not only does the offender deprive the child of its purity and innocence, the offender also causes distress. The child may grow up to have mental disorder as well. You say that not treating a pedophile or an offender is unfair, but how do you explain the fairness to a child who is being deprived. This is a matter of public safety and is as complicated as being raped. It is unwanted and unwelcome.
As I see it the issue of mental illness is already stigmatized. I do agree that there are perhaps a few treatment procedures that would work on persons with pedophilic tendencies. I would agree that shock therapy would function. It would make the individual catatonic, making them unable to function as a productive member of society. Therefore, preventing any acts of sexual abuse on a child. Another version of therapy that might work is hypnosis, but this has not been researched or studied. Unless there is a federal law put in place mandating treatment as a preventive measure, the problem will always continue to be that a mental illness such as pedophilia has no cure.
As a disease it can be controlled and treated if and only when the alcoholic recognizes there is a problem and accepts treatment. There is no medication to take that will cure alcoholism, the person simply stops drinking alcohol and will be cured of alcoholism. Therefore, proving that it is done at will and voluntarily. Alcoholism only affects personal relationships with those close to the alcoholic making this comparison in no way similar or even related to pedophilic behaviors and an adult"s sexual desire towards children.
Pedophilic tendencies cannot be treated with psychoanalysis, because it"s an urge. This may sound like a terrible analogy, but it is like eating when you are feeling hungry. There are symptoms that will provoke you to eat, if you don"t your head will begin to hurt, your mood changes and your stomach gases begin to make noises indicating the need or desire for food. The pedophile is in a way hungry for touching children. The person may be well aware that having sexual desires for children is inappropriate, but cannot control the urge.
You are arguing that the government should take responsibility for the treatment of a pedophile once diagnosed. I will remind you that a person only becomes a pedophile once they have committed an act. When it reaches that point, it is already too late to treat concluding that the appropriate measure for pedophiles is to incarcerate them and seclude them from having accessibility to children.
According to the Merriam-Webster, the definition of ill means "not well or healthy: sick or unhealthy of health: not normal or good harmful or damaging." The mentally ill person is acting out on those feelings that he/she cannot always diminish and possibly get rid of. Therefore, it is up to the government to enforce a mandatory rule that once diagnosed, all mentally ill persons must receive treatment. As a result, the government will be able to determine what treatments are effective and which are not. With this in mind, treatment is the best solution for mentally ill persons instead of incarceration.
Mentally ill persons are similar to alcoholics. The reason why I say this is because they both suffer from a mental and psychological disorder. The reason why I brought up alcoholics is because alcoholics receive one form of treatment by the name of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA). This program was designed and created to help those who suffer from alcoholism. Although it"s not a hundred percent effective, it"s definitely a beneficial tool towards society. It is helping those persons who cannot control their urges to drink. Those who are mentally ill that have sexual thoughts and desires about adolescence should be able to attend a mandatory program similar to AA. Although AA is not a mandatory, some of these programs should be mandatory in order to decrease the harmful risks to society. Overall, treatment would be more effective than incarceration.
2. A pedophile may be well aware that having sexual desires for children is inappropriate, but cannot control the urge.
3. Unless there is a federal law put in place mandating treatment as a preventive measure, the problem will always continue to be that a mental illness such as pedophilia has no cure.
4. Treating persons with mental disorders must be a choice of the person.
5. Treatment cannot be forced upon an individual, not because of a violation of civil rights but because the individual must be willing to change their behavior.
6. Psychotherapy; talking about the problem does not necessarily cure it and make the individual restrain from erratic or uncontrollable urges.
7. Incarceration is good.
8. Therefore, the appropriate measure for pedophiles is to incarcerate them and seclude them from having accessibility to children.
2. According the Encyclopedia Britannica, the purpose of incarceration is to deter criminals. Despite the fact that incarceration is supposed to deter, criminals still commit crimes. Those who commit those criminal acts, and get arrested and are sentenced belong in prison. The mentally ill do not belong in prison.
3. According to the article titled "Mass Imprisonment and Public Health", the criminal justice system has mostly imprisoned the mentally ill and addicts. Prison is not the correct place for the mentally ill. If the mentally ill are placed in prison without treatment, the mentally ills' condition will worsen.
4. The mentally ill, in regards to a pedophile, they will continue to have sexual desires and thoughts if not treated.
5. Sexual desires can cause pedophiles to commit rape, molestation, and possibly murder.
6. Pedophiles who are declared as the mentally ill need to receive treatment. Treatment will help them to deal and cope, and possibly eliminate their desires and thoughts. Treatment can possibly help them from committing sexual acts towards children.
7. If you treat those diagnosed pedophiles, there will be a decreased chance of them committing sexually acts against children and also there will be a chance of reformed pedophiles.
8. Pedophiles who are diagnosed and then receive treatment are good.
9. The negative consequences of treating pedophiles is that they can commit to have sexual desires towards children and sexual thoughts towards children. Another negative consequence is that after receiving treatment, the pedophiles can possibly relapse after treatment and possibly commit an act of rape or molestation of a child, but these negative consequences are acceptable in light of a decreased chance of child molestation or rape and an increased chance of treated pedophiles.
10. Treatment cannot guarantee that all pedophiles will change, but it is a better strategy rather than incarceration.
11. Therefore, persons convicted of pedophilic crime ought to be treated and not incarcerated in all instances.
1 votes has been placed for this debate.
Vote Placed by gomergcc 2 years ago
|Agreed with before the debate:||-||-||0 points|
|Agreed with after the debate:||-||-||0 points|
|Who had better conduct:||-||-||1 point|
|Had better spelling and grammar:||-||-||1 point|
|Made more convincing arguments:||-||-||3 points|
|Used the most reliable sources:||-||-||2 points|
|Total points awarded:||3||3|
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made a good argument for treatment before a crime as been committed; however, failed to make a good argument against incarceration after the crime. They failed to meet there BoP and in fact made a good argument for incarceration to force treatment. Pro as sources but con as none. Con made some grammar mistakes, and did not see any for Pro.
You are not eligible to vote on this debate
This debate has been configured to only allow voters who meet the requirements set by the debaters. This debate either has an Elo score requirement or is to be voted on by a select panel of judges.