DATXDUDE
Rnivium

Pessimism (Con) Vs. Optimism (Pro)

DATXDUDE

Pro

First serious debate in awhile. I saw a debate like this one, and wanted to expand upon it.

1. Make your language understandable. Seriously. I know some people on here have an advanced vocabulary, but try to keep it readable.
2. No semantics.
3. No K's.
Rnivium

Con

As the Con debater, I defend the mentality of pessimism over that of optimism.
I will begin with two observations.
1) Optimism refers to a mindset of attempting to observe the positive aspects of reality whereas pessimism refers to a mindset of attempting to observe the fundamental flaws or negative aspects of society.
2) The debate should prove which of these mindsets is most beneficial on the individual basis.
Contention 1: Framing
Because the round is centered on desirability, it is important to define the confines of desirability.
I will be defending utilitarianism, or a decision-making paradigm in which the best decisions are the ones that do the most good for the most individuals.
There are three reasons to prefer this paradigm:
1) It avoids sacrificing public good for selfish personal interests.
2) It avoids using morality as a sweeping decision-rule and thus compromising consequentialist interests.
3) It is the most beneficial for all members of society.
Utilitarianism does not replace morality or positive values. It is, in fact, through utilitarianism that way can lay the foundation for those very principles.
Contention 2: Productivity
At the individual level, pessimism is better for productivity. Because it is better for noticing and understanding flaws, it allows the individual to create pragmatic solutions for fixing them. That productivity creates the same kind of positive psychological benefits as an optimistic mindset while still best upholding utilitarian values.
Productivity helps not only the individual, but also society as a whole. When we have a world of people who are driven to create solutions, quality of life is vastly improved. Happiness is great, but success is greater.
Contention 3: Frivolity
Optimism is, to put it succinctly, frivolous. Just because we can "see the bright side" doesn"t make anything brighter. It"s only a skewed perception of reality that ignores flaws and problems. There are three reasons this is bad:
1) It's worse for society as a whole by ignoring problems that need to be solved.
2) It elevates things above their actual state " that means we see things as better than they are.
3) The optimist inevitable realizes the real state of things " this results in disappointment and is worse for psychological state than could be made up for by the positive mentality of optimism.
Again, I"m not arguing that happiness is a bad thing. I only defend that pessimism and fundamental utility are the best ways to achieve that happiness whereas optimism is detrimental. Thus, I urge a vote for Con in today"s debate. Thank you.
DATXDUDE

Pro

Optimism is a better way to view our society. This is for multiple reasons. First of all, society will generally be more productive if the population is happier, and optimists generally tend to be happier than pessimists because they are not constantly looking at the negative aspects of society.

Optimism does not mean that one does not acknowledge the negative aspects of society, it just means that they spend more time looking at the positives.

Now, with that out of the way, here are my rebuttals. Please note that I will be using the abbreviations "C" and "P" to refer to contentions and points.

C1 P1

How so? Please elaborate so I can refute this point.

C1 P2

You just violated my first rule. Please use language that everyone can understand.

C1 P3

How does utilitarianism do this? Agian, please elaborate.

C2
"At the individual level, pessimism is better for productivity. Because it is better for noticing and understanding flaws, it allows the individual to create pragmatic solutions for fixing them. That productivity creates the same kind of positive psychological benefits as an optimistic mindset while still best upholding utilitarian values."

Incorrect. People who are optimists are generally looking at the positives of a society. This does not apply to individual situations. Optomists also can acknowledge the negatives of the world, but they generally look at them in a more positive way.

Example:

Pessimist:

"It's raining outside today, so I can't go outside. The world sucks."

Optomist:

"It's not that bad. I can do plenty of other things."

C3

"Optimism is, to put it succinctly, frivolous. Just because we can "see the bright side" doesn"t make anything brighter. It"s only a skewed perception of reality that ignores flaws and problems."

Pessimism is also a skewed perception of reality. Also, as I have previously stated, you don't have to ignore the problems society has to be an optomist. You just don't fixate on them.

P1

Do I have to say it again?

P2

You could say that pessimism does the exact same thing.

P3

Refer to C3P1.
Rnivium

Con

Rnivium forfeited this round.
DATXDUDE

Pro

Vote pro.
Rnivium

Con

Rnivium forfeited this round.
DATXDUDE

Pro

DATXDUDE forfeited this round.
Rnivium

Con

Rnivium forfeited this round.