tvellalott
whatledge

Peter Griffin is an inferior character to Homer Simpson

tvellalott

tvellalott

Pro

Hello.

I grew up on The Simpsons and find Homer Simpson an endearing and lovable character.

I have watched a lot of Family Guy and while I do enjoy the hijinks of Brian and Stewie and the sometimes hilarious trademark cutaway segments, I cannot stand Peter Griffin and thus my enjoyment of the show is affected.

Although they are in essence very similar characters, I believe Peter lacks a lot of the redeeming traits that Homer has.

Let the debate begin!
whatledge

Con

Peter Griffin is arguably more obese.
Peter Griffin also has a talking dog, that writes books, bangs real woman, and drive. Homer has a mutt.
Peter befriends a man with a speaking disorder, a crippled cop, and a perverted pedophile. He has more varied and interesting friends than Homer.
Peter's wife does not have 5 foot clown hair.
Peter arguably has better fighting skills, if you recall his fights with the chicken.
Peter has an evil genius talking baby, while Homer has a mute baby.

I believe Peter is superior in many ways.
tvellalott

Pro

I would first like to thank my opponent for taking me up on this debate.

I'll address my opponents opening arguments and then pose my own.

"Peter Griffin is arguably more obese."
A side by side comparison of the two certainly shows that Peter is indeed the fatter of the two. However, Homer once ate a piece of "The Blob" and became so huge he was as big as a building and absorbed recurring characters whole.

"Peter Griffin also has a talking dog, that writes books, bangs real woman, and drive. Homer has a mutt."
Yes, these things are all true of Brian Griffin. He is a much more likable character than Peter. Santa's Little Helper isn't a mutt though. He is an ex-racing greyhound. The 25 pups that he sired all became champion racing dogs. Homer also has a cat who once saved him from a fire.

"Peter befriends a man with a speaking disorder, a crippled cop, and a perverted pedophile. He has more varied and interesting friends than Homer."
Apart from Ned Flanders, Moe, Barney, Carl and Lenny (Who are complex and varied characters in themselves) Homer has befriended (and made enemies with) a massive catalogue of real celebrities including ex-Presidents, rock stars, sporting stars and actors; and even more fabricated characters who fit every stereotype from all over the world.

"Peter's wife does not have 5 foot clown hair."
Although this debate isn't about Lois Griffin or Marge Simpson, the latter recently did a "photo" shoot in Playboy magazine. You won't find many cartoon characters who that can be said about.

"Peter arguably has better fighting skills, if you recall his fights with the chicken."
These fights are very epic, but in terms of battle experience Homer Simpson is far superior. He has been involved in more fist fights, explosions, crossfire, riots and vendettas than any other character in any cartoon. He has also suffered every kind of injury one can imagine and always recovers unscathed.

"Peter has an evil genius talking baby, while Homer has a mute baby."
I was under the impression that only Brian could understand Stewie, but I might be wrong. Maggie is not mute. She spoke the word "Daddy". She was voiced by none other than Elizabeth Taylor. Maggie can drive a car, change her own nappy, shoot billionaires, plan complex schemes and has saved Homers life on several occasions. Maggie has an IQ of 167, also making her a genius.

Here are my counter points
Homer Simpson was only beaten by Bugs Bunny in a TV Guide vote for the Greatest Cartoon Characters of All Time and was cited as one of the top 25 most influential people of the past 25 years by USA Today.
Homer Simpson's catch cry "D'oh!" has become so well known it can be found in the Oxford Dictionary
Homer Simpson has travelled to every continent on Earth except Antarctica. He has also travelled into space.
He has had a hundred different humorous jobs, including a sideshow freak, a Krusty the Clown impersonator, the Beer Baron, the Mayor of "New Springfield", an inventor and a food critic.

Homer Simpson is an integral part of a cartoon classic. Without him, the shows appeal would be significantly lessened. I cannot imagine the show without him.
Peter Griffin is very similar to Homer Simpson, but being stupider and fatter does not make him funnier. While all of the other members of the family are original and funny, Peter is not. He has not improved the "fat, blue-collar moron" character. His laugh is just annoying.

I look forward to my opponents retort and the closing arguments.
whatledge

Con

"Peter Griffin is arguably more obese."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am guessing this happened in one episode. Since he didn't remain huge, he is not superior to Peter in terms of obesity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Indeed, I apologize for doing injustice to Santa's Little Helper, but overall I believe Brian Griffin is by far a superior dog. Hence Peter Griffin owns a more superior dog than Homer.

Apart from Ned Flanders, Moe, Barney, Carl and Lenny (Who are complex and varied characters in themselves)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We know much more of Cleaveland, Quagmire, and Joe than Carl and Lenny. We know Cleaveland's and Joe's family. Cleaveland's son has a unique hyper personality contrary to his father. We know that Cleaveland's wife is the ‘hard' woman. We know that Joe's wife, his atheletic son, and so forth. I have watched a fair amount of Simpson's episodes and I have yet to hear of Lenny's or Carl's family. Lenny and Carl have weak personalities because 1. episodes are rarely focused on them. 2. Not much about them is known besides the fact that they are Homer's co-workers. Ned, I agree is a well-made character, but is hardly Homer's friend. And Quagmire, alone serves as a very interesting character. Peter Griffin has superior friends.
Homer has befriended (and made enemies with) a massive catalogue of real celebrities including ex-Presidents, rock stars, sporting stars and actors; and even more fabricated characters who fit every stereotype from all over the world.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The same could be said about Peter. He has met numerous celebrities and ex-presidents. He even had the opportunity to get high with Bill Clinton. He also shipped James Woods to another country.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Experience doesn't necessarily mean he will win the fight. Arguably Homer has been involved in more fights, but this is because simposons had more episodes. In terms of fighting skills Peter is superior. Anyone who watches the chicken fights will see that Peter is superior than Homer in combat.

http://video.adultswim.com...
http://video.adultswim.com...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While I agree that Maggie is a genius, Stewie is still superior in intellect. He has built machines to enter Peter's testicles to destroy sperm, and has also taken over the world in a simulation. He has built time machines, and has a secret room with weapons of mass destruction. As well as a device to go to parallel universes. Peter has the superior baby.

Here are my counter points
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a good point, but I still believe Peter is the superior character. But to be fair, we have to give Family Guy and Peter Griffin time to spread. The Simpsons have been around since December 17, 1989. Family guy was first aired January 31, 1999. A near 10 year gap, and furthermore Simpsons has 464 episodes, while family guy has 146. It is only fair to give Peter time to get known.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would have to disagree with my opponent's remark that stupider and fatter does not make him funnier. What makes Homer Simpson funny, if not his stupidity and the fat stereotype? I agree Peter may not be an original character, but what I see is that as everything else in this world, things evolve. I believe that Peter Griffin is an evolved version of Homer Simpson, and that he is also superior. He does not need to improve the "fat, blue-collar moron" to be superior to Homer. Peter Griffin illustrates superior combat skills, superior family and friends, and humor.

Conclusion:
Peter Griffin > Homer Simpson
tvellalott

Pro

To paraphrase my opponents main arguments:
Peter is fatter than Homer
Brian Griffin is superior to Santa's Little Helper
Cleveland, Quagmire and Joe are more developed than Lenny and Carl
Peter is a better fighter than Homer
Stewie is a superior baby to Maggie

I believe in posing these arguments, he actually proves my point.
Only two of these arguments actually relate to Peter himself, that Peter is fatter and that Peter is a better fighter.
Only one of these fact can actually be proven; that Peter is fatter and I have already agreed that it is true. However, Homer doesn't need to be fatter. His weight has been at the core of a thousand jokes over the 20 years the show has been running. In the two episodes where Homer did became fatter (that I can think of anyway) it was only used as a tool for even greater jokes, but he returned to his original weight because it is already perfect.
As for the fighting skills, my opponent is incorrect. Put two fighters together, in the UFC for example, one is fitter, has nearly triple the experience and a proven extreme tolerance to pain and injury against someone fatter with less experience who was also mildly retarded. The latter obviously has the odds stacked against him.

The rest of my opponents points show that Family Guy has developed certain other characters in the show far more than the Simpsons has, even though the show has been running half the time. This shows that even the creators of Family Guy realise that Peter will always be inferior to Homer. Everything that can be done with a fat, blue collar American cartoon character, has already been done by Homer. Only by taking the character into more adult situations can new jokes be found. This doesn't illustrate that Peter is better, but that Homer is more family friendly. While only older people can enjoy Family Guy, both children and adults can enjoy The Simpsons.

In conclusion, Homer is very clearly better than Peter in everyway.
Homer Simpson beat hundreds of cartoon characters who were significantly older than him to take the second spot in the greatest cartoon characters of all time list.
He is a cultural icon who is recognised by people of all ages, all around the world.
No matter how much time passes, Peter will never overtake Homer in global appeal.
That is why Peter is inferior to Homer.

Vote Pro!
whatledge

Con

"To paraphrase my opponents main arguments:
Peter is fatter than Homer
Peter is a better fighter than Homer
Stewie is a superior baby to Maggie"
"Only two of these arguments actually relate to Peter himself, that Peter is fatter and that Peter is a better fighter."

This is true, but possessing better friends, family, pets, add on to the peter's perk as the superior character. A good analogy is that having a nice body will further compliment a handsome face. I am saying that while Peter and Homer may have similar values as characters, Peter has far better perks that make him superior.

"Only one of these fact can actually be proven; that Peter is fatter and I have already agreed that it is true. However, Homer doesn't need to be fatter. His weight has been at the core of a thousand jokes over the 20 years the show has been running. In the two episodes where Homer did became fatter (that I can think of anyway) it was only used as a tool for even greater jokes, but he returned to his original weight because it is already perfect."
I was merely saying that Peter is superior to Homer is obesity. And as the topic at hand is who the superior character is, I think it is relevant to point out that Peter Griffin is superior in his weight.
Superior- greater in quantity or amount.
Peter's weight qualifies as being superior.
http://dictionary.reference.com...

"As for the fighting skills, my opponent is incorrect. Put two fighters together, in the UFC for example, one is fitter, has nearly triple the experience and a proven extreme tolerance to pain and injury against someone fatter with less experience who was also mildly retarded. The latter obviously has the odds stacked against him."

I have proven that Peter too can take harsh punishment. If you look at my previous argument, and view the videos, you will that peter fell from a building and survived with a few bruises. Furthermore, my opponent has yet to show any resources or videos to verify his claims. As I have said before, experience does not mean you are the better fighter. If that was the case the oldest members of the UFC will always prevail against the younger members, this is not the case.

"The rest of my opponents points show that Family Guy has developed certain other characters in the show far more than the Simpsons has, even though the show has been running half the time. This shows that even the creators of Family Guy realise that Peter will always be inferior to Homer."
1.Family Guy has developed certain other characters in the show far more than the Simpsons even though the show has been running half the time
2.This shows that even the creators of Family Guy realise that Peter will always be inferior to Homer
I do not see how point 1 verifies point 2. My opponent speaks of family guy having more characters. That does not mean Peter is inferior to Homer. Just because there are more characters in That 70's Show (1998) than Friends (1994), it does not mean that That 70's Show is inferior.
http://en.wikipedia.org...'70s_Show

"Everything that can be done with a fat, blue collar American cartoon character, has already been done by Homer. Only by taking the character into more adult situations can new jokes be found. This doesn't illustrate that Peter is better, but that Homer is more family friendly. While only older people can enjoy Family Guy, both children and adults can enjoy The Simpsons."
But this also does not make Homer better, just the original. At most, it only puts Homer as the equivalent of Peter. Adult situations vs Family-friendly is irrelevant as they both have their pros and cons. Its true both adults and children can enjoy the simpsons, but I, as a young adult, find the adult situations more humorous.

"In conclusion, Homer is very clearly better than Peter in everyway."
That is a matter of opinion, and I showed you my reasons for why I disagree.

"Homer Simpson beat hundreds of cartoon characters who were significantly older than him to take the second spot in the greatest cartoon characters of all time list."
I never had the chance to partake in this vote, and furthermore, no sources are given. Furthermore, Family Guy has Adult situations limiting its audience, this does not mean Homer is superior to Peter. I also point out for a second time that, Homer is 10 years older than Peter.

"He is a cultural icon who is recognised by people of all ages, all around the world."
Recognition does not equal superiority. That would mean Paris Hilton is superior to you.

"No matter how much time passes, Peter will never overtake Homer in global appeal.
That is why Peter is inferior to Homer."
Apparently my opponent can read the future through a crystal ball, and has seen Peter never overtaking Homer in global appeal. Also I remind the audience that this is a debate to see which character is more superior, not which character is globally appealed.

Conclusion:
Peter Griffin has far superior perks than Homer.
Just because Homer was the origin of the "fat, blue-collared, American cartoon character" Does NOT make him superior.
I have given my reasons to why Peter is superior, and provided sources to back up my claims.
I Thank tvellalott for providing me this opportunity to debate.
And leave the rest to the voters.
Posted by tvellalott 6 years ago
tvellalott
You idiot. Watch the episode again. Lisa WASN'T helping Maggie.
Posted by Prodigy_X 6 years ago
Prodigy_X
I reckon this debate sucked.
Firstly homer abuses his own son. I mean come on, who would choke their own son just because they owned him
And I saw that episode of The Simpsons when Maggie had an I.Q of 167. in the end of the episode everyone found out Lisa HELPED Maggie with the answers so technically Maggie is a brain-dead baby.
And lastly The Simpsons are not funny. I stopped watching them a few years ago.
Posted by mattrodstrom 6 years ago
mattrodstrom
family guy has little suspensions of the "reality" of the story to make the boring show that it is entertaining for stupid people... and fill in gaps in their badly done plots.

like the chicken fights

In the simpsons such things don't happen and the plot isn't suspended for 5 minutes for stupids sake.

also... I'm pretty sure a good number of stewies "accomplishments" fit in this frame too.
Posted by Lovebotlass17 6 years ago
Lovebotlass17
Homer Simpson is the best to me. He can be so slow and doesn't have to be crude and still be hilarious. And I'm talking about seasons 1-8, not the new episodes.
Posted by TheSkeptic 6 years ago
TheSkeptic
I agree with many of PRO's points, but honestly how can Maggie beat Stewie? The latter is much more badass :). Maggie may have an IQ of 167, but I doubt she has invented as many things as Stewie has, which includes a time machine, mind control devices, etc..
Posted by Brandonmaciel333 6 years ago
Brandonmaciel333
family guy owns
but i love both shows
Posted by tvellalott 6 years ago
tvellalott
note to self: post links to sources
Posted by tvellalott 6 years ago
tvellalott
love that picture!
Posted by feverish 6 years ago
feverish
Simpson can take horrific amounts of pain and still keep going, in a fight to the cartoon death, Griffin is going down.
Posted by Xer 6 years ago
Xer
Peter is better, hands down.
Vote Placed by Atheism 6 years ago
Atheism
tvellalottwhatledgeTied
Vote Placed by whatisx 6 years ago
whatisx
tvellalottwhatledgeTied
Vote Placed by Lovebotlass17 6 years ago
Lovebotlass17
tvellalottwhatledgeTied
Vote Placed by Shestakov 6 years ago
Shestakov
tvellalottwhatledgeTied
Vote Placed by Grape 6 years ago
Grape
tvellalottwhatledgeTied
Vote Placed by kehustler14 6 years ago
kehustler14
tvellalottwhatledgeTied
Vote Placed by Brandonmaciel333 6 years ago
Brandonmaciel333
tvellalottwhatledgeTied
Vote Placed by Rockylightning 6 years ago
Rockylightning
tvellalottwhatledgeTied
Vote Placed by sqr47 6 years ago
sqr47
tvellalottwhatledgeTied