Peyton Manning is not as good as why people say.

Started: 12/14/2011 Category: Sports

People over hype manning WAY to much. Every one says he is so good this year. (yes they would have one some games with him) but not he plays offense not defense.

I accept this debate. This is my first debate and I am looking forward to it.

Peyton Manning is said by many people to be one of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history. My opponent is arguing that this is not the case. The statistics say otherwise. Manning is currently third in career passing yards and passing touchdowns. He has a very good career completion percentage of 64.9 percent and a passer rating of 94.9. Before this season, he was on pace to destroy all the records set by Brett Favre.

His statistics, despite being excellent, do not compare to his impact on the field. Manning is a general on the field. He calls plays on the field and uses audibles better than any quarterback in the NFL. He uses this to keep defenses off guard. Audibles allow QBs to change the play at the line of scrimmage to one that fits what the defense is doing. Manning does this better than any QB that has played the game.

My opponents argument is faulty. To say he is over-hyped because he doesn't play defense is absurd. Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers don't play defense either. However, what Manning has in common with those players is his ability to effect ever aspect of the game. All of them are the team leaders and set the attitude and tone of the team. They make the players around them great. That is a rare quality in any player. Defenses can take more risks with an offense that can score. The Packers, Patriots and Saints may have defenses that give up a lot of yardage, but it allows these defenses to play more aggressively to cause turnovers.

I have proven that a combination of Manning's stats, leadership and influence over the game make him one of the best ever. My opponent has failed to make a case that he is not as good as people say nor did he provide any evidence as to what people say. As it currently stands my opponent's argument is negated.

My opponent is missing my point with the defense argument. I am saying look at his team this year with out him. they suck, they are 0-13 and with him this year they would maybe be a 500 team the way there defense is playing.

People talk about how manning made his recievers, well that isnt right at all, the man has amazing wide recievers who made him a good player, he is the poster child of the nfl which means they refs have to do what he says (you cant hit him).

Thank you for your response.

First of all I would like note that my arguments went unanswered. And my opponents case only hopes to strengthen my argument. My opponent states that the Colts would have won half of their games if he was playing. That goes on to show how important he is to his team.

Manning has had three very good receivers over his career: Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark. While I am not going to deny that these receivers would have had successful careers in other places, when you look at how the wide receivers performed this year that is not the case. Wayne only has 56 receptions, 768 yards and 2 touchdowns. Dallas Clark's stats are much worse. It is obvious that the Colts' offense needs Peyton Manning to be effective. You also fail to mention how he made receivers like Austin Collie, Pierre Garcon and Brandon Stokely. Manning's contributions to their careers cannot be disputed.

You are right, the Colts' defense is God-awful. However, Manning has played with similar terrible defenses went to the playoffs. Last year they were 20th in the league in yards allowed per game. They also gave up the tenth most points in the NFL. However they still won ten games and were playoff contenders. And you cannot discount Manning's contributions to the defense. The current offense cannot hold on to the ball and commonly loses the time of possession battle. When Manning is in, that obviously is not the case. Also consider that when Manning is in the offense gains the ability to score on any play. Manning means more to his team than any other player does or theirs.

The resolution is negated and I urge a Con vote.

Roewer733 forfeited this round.

Extend arguments. As my opponent failed to post an argument I urge a con vote.
Posted by johnnyboy54 4 years ago
Probably just a mistake
Posted by JakeBoatman96 4 years ago
@Kethen, you obviously don't know much about football, even the basics of how to display wins/losses. They're 0-13. 13-0 would mean they won every game to this point.
Posted by Kethen 4 years ago
13-0 without him enough said
Vote Placed by ScarletGhost4396 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: ff