Obamacare
David_1

Philosophy 231 Meno

Obamacare

Con

From the Meno reading, it seems as though many see Socrates as highly intelligent and knowledgeable but to me, I feel as though even he did not know what he was talking about. Although he spreads awareness of no body actually knowing what "virtue" meant, it felt as though he was trying his hardest not be incorrect. There are people in the world who hate to be wrong and I think that Socrates could have been one of them. He talks to Meno and asks him questions of what other things meant to him and it goes on and on just to get the point out that nobody really knows anything completely.

Socrates tells Meno that he will have an answer for him about what virtue really meant but comes back empty handed and all he explains is that, "We will have knowledge of it [virtue] when, before we ask in what way virtue comes to be in man, we first try to discover what exactly virtue is in its own right. But now it is time for me to go somewhere" (28). Here, we see Socrates running away from this question because I believe he is strongly opposed to being told that he is unintelligent of the subject of virtue. He also goes on and puts others around him down saying that they do not know what virtue is either, so it must be a fact that nobody knows anything about it at all.
David_1

Pro

Interesting topic idea, albeit a tad confusing to figure out your exact argument but thank you for posting it.

I feel that the way the character of Socrates was was written, convoluted, and constantly questioning, was done so intentionally. This was done in order to give insight into the extremely undefined topic of virtue. What Socrates was explaining, making use of wit and reason, was that virtue cannot be explained in a uniform sense, and therefor he cannot he cannot give a blanket definition of it.

As for your point of him demeaning others, I do not think that he at any point intentionally put down others in order to state that they do not know what virtue is. I think that the people that he argued with got annoyed with him when he refused to answer their questions directly but this was only done to reassert that fact that there is no one blanket definition for virtue.

So I feel that he is not hiding, or "trying not to be incorrect", but is in fact acting the way he is to prove the point that virtue is unique to each individual.
Obamacare

Con

Sorry about the confusing argument. I understand your point and agree with it. I was just thinking of Socrates in a modern day world and I related it back to some people who strongly hate to be wrong on topics, that they would come up with some absurd story that would make him/her "technically" right.

Thank you for your input, it is appreciated.
David_1

Pro

David_1 forfeited this round.
Obamacare

Con

Obamacare forfeited this round.
David_1

Pro

David_1 forfeited this round.
Obamacare

Con

Obamacare forfeited this round.
David_1

Pro

David_1 forfeited this round.
Obamacare

Con

Obamacare forfeited this round.
David_1

Pro

David_1 forfeited this round.
Posted by Obamacare 3 years ago
Obamacare

Posted by Obamacare 3 years ago
Obamacare
I wanted to know what others thought about Socrates position and what he was saying to Meno. Do you think he was being intelligent and insightful or (my position) was he just trying to stray away from being incorrect and not directly answering the question from what he was saying to Meno?
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 3 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
What exactly is your argument?