FeioH-Niplef
Diirez

Philosophy: Nihilism will degrade mankind.

Diirez

FeioH-Niplef

Con

Nihilism is the philosophy that life is meaningless and there is no such thing as "morals". Presumably, this may be the ultimate form of Atheism, having Atheism deny the existence of a God/Deity.

Before we continue on the matter relating Atheism and Nihilism, I will define my view of "God" (I am implying I am a believer). God is more of a concept than it is a physical entity. Loss of faith in God may result from the lack of proof or a loss of moral direction. Having God being a concept than more of an existent entity, it satisfies the fact that God is not physical but metaphysical. Moreover, God is a constant reminder of our morals, humanity and it provides us with a way of life.

Now, Nihilism encourages there is no meaning to life, there is no morals. Logically, if you deny life's meaning/morality, you deny God. Hence you are an Atheist and Nihilist. Atheists are bound to Nihilism in a sense. If God is a constant reminder of a person's morals, having deny God as an Atheist will only result in a loss of moral direction. Some unfortunate people become so lost, they are oblivious to their Nihilism. Furthermore, it may lead to the denial of morality overall regardless if the denier started as a believer or non-believer. But let me move on to the claim.

Having define Nihilism and Atheism, it is meaningless to live if one were to be a Nihilist. With no moral direction, a Nihilist can do as he pleases regardless if it is hurtful to himself or others. As stated earlier, Nihilists can be oblivious to their own Nihilism so in a sense, they do not realize the repercussions of their actions-- they're unaware from right and wrong. Symbolically, if one is a Nihilist, they are no longer human, but a philosophical zombie. And what are zombies good for? Causing havoc for the humans and roam aimlessly looking for something to prey upon. That is what a Nihilist is: A zombie with its only means to survive regardless of what is morally right.

This makes Nihilist abominations to a progressive society. They only mean to survive for if one must live they must become selfish. Selfishness, can result in immorality. How so? Selfishness breeds greed, causing disharmony amongst humanity. Instead of sticking together as a species, selfishness disconnects us all and eventually resulting in morality: The butterfly-effect.

Some may argue that that selfishness may not simply be a huge factor in the realization of Nihilism but however, little changes can result in drastic effects. Without moral direction, a selfish person will have only the means to survive, doing whatever is needed even if it results in killing or committing an immorality, similarly as to how a Nihilist would act. In fact how could selfishness not be a trait of a Nihilist? It is only reasonable to assume that Nihilists do not have any sense of empathy/sympathy if they presumably believe they can do whatever they desire. Hence, they're a menace to a progressive society called humanity.

For this reason, if the philosophy of a Nihilist is that life is meaningless, then they themselves have no reason to live. Without moral direction, it is likely they will loose sight of their own sense of humanity, thus causing havoc for moral individuals. For a progressive species of what is desire for Humanity, the Eradication of all Nihilist must be the goal of all who share the same ideals.
Diirez

Pro

Alright let's tackle Con's argument, chunk by chunk.

"Nihilism is the philosophy that life is meaningless and there is no such thing as "morals". Presumably, this may be the ultimate form of Atheism, having Atheism deny the existence of a God/Deity."
Nihilism and Atheism does not say life is meaningless. I don't understand why people view it like that. It says the complete opposite, it says life is the ONLY form of meaning. Nihilism/Atheism says that you have ONE life, <110 years to live. Simply put, we try to make sure we live a happy and fulfilled life because once it's over, there is no second chance. So there's that hope to leave an impact on the world. Not to say that life is meaningless, it's saying life is your only chance, make meaning out of it.

"..it is meaningless to live if one were to be a Nihilist. With no moral direction, a Nihilist can do as he pleases regardless if it is hurtful to himself or others."
Wrong. I think you need to actually study Nihilism. Nihilism states that one must look at ALL options, all effects an action has before making it.

"Every action we undertake on earth is a choice. Do I eat the red-spotted mushroom? The utilitarians will say that if most people like eating them, you should do it; the formalists will say that if it"s socially approved, you should do it; the instrumentalists will ask if the goal of eating the mushroom is moral; the materialists of course will say that it depends on what comforts or wealth it gets you. A nihilist says to use the scientific method and look at what the whole of the results are. Will it poison you? Will it mislead others? Will it harm the forest? Will it bring about any gain of any kind? These are all choices, and must be considered in turn." [1]

"This makes Nihilist abominations to a progressive society. They only mean to survive for if one must live they must become selfish. Selfishness, can result in immorality. How so? Selfishness breeds greed, causing disharmony amongst humanity. Instead of sticking together as a species, selfishness disconnects us all and eventually resulting in morality: the butterfly-effect."
Read the quote above. Nihilism does not focus on selfishness, instead it focuses on, what are the effects of my action? Does the good out weigh the bad?

"For this read, if the philosophy of a Nihilist is that life is meaningless, then they themselves have no reason to live. Without moral direction, it is likely they will loose sight of their own sense of humanity, thus causing havoc for moral individuals. For progressive species of what is desire for Humanity, the Eradication of all Nihilist must be the goal of all who share the same ideals."
As said above, life is not meaningless, it has more meaning than a religious person because there is no other life outside of this one. To say that without god, we lose our sense of humanity is absurd. I've became a much more compassionate and loving person once I became an intellectual. Nihilism is more human than religion, because religion is seeking to benefit the needs and wants of a god, with god, anything is permissable. With Nihilism, they seek to benefit the needs of everyone. To say the eradication of all Nihilist must be the goal of all who share the same ideals is just bigotry. You're saying my religious views are better, so you have to be eradicated. Shame on you.

Religion seeks to benefit the wants and needs of a celetial dictator. Nihilism seeks to benefit the needs of humanity.
FeioH-Niplef

Con

FeioH-Niplef forfeited this round.
Diirez

Pro

There's been a mistake in the positional arguments.
I am against the idea that Nihilism will degrade mankind, however the debate labels me as "Pro."

I forgot to cite the
[1] http://www.nihil.org...

With forfeiture, all of my arguments with stand.
FeioH-Niplef

Con

FeioH-Niplef forfeited this round.
Diirez

Pro

I'm very sad that my opponent would start a debate and then not debate; nonetheless, hopefully we can work something out to actually debate this topic in the future.
Posted by ClassicRobert 4 years ago
ClassicRobert
No problem, it just might be wise to clarify that in the debate so voters don't get confused.
Posted by Diirez 4 years ago
Diirez
I didn't even notice that. Yeah we are mixed up. Oops.
Posted by ClassicRobert 4 years ago
ClassicRobert
It should probably be clarified that Con and Pro are mixed up. Con seems to be arguing for the resolution, and Pro seems to be arguing against it.
Posted by ClassicRobert 4 years ago
ClassicRobert
Good luck in your second debate FeioH-Niplef!
Posted by Kumquatodor 4 years ago
Kumquatodor
Make me proud, Diirez! I was about to accept this debate.
Posted by Diirez 4 years ago
Diirez
I forgot to include the source of that quote. I will include the source next round but I will also include the source in the comments too:

[1] http://www.nihil.org...
Vote Placed by ClassicRobert 4 years ago
ClassicRobert
FeioH-NiplefDiirezTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit