Philosophy Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

Humans have free will?

CelsoMoskowitz
StarTrek_is_Trash

Definition Free will - the ability to act in a way that cannot, even if hypothetically, be predicted. No rules. Let's go....

Debating Period
1 Comments
Updated 10 Hours Ago

Do Extremist Thiests get to Heaven?

PowerPikachu21
CelsoMoskowitz

I've been seeing various theists, and some might be taking their side a bit too far. So I'm wondering... Are these Extremist Theists doing what God wanted? Would they reach Heaven?Definitions:Extremist Thiest; A follower of God who usually is against the idea of Athiesm.Heaven; A place created by God to reward good people with endless life. [I'll admit I need to research about the subject]Rules:1) The resolution is...

Debating Period
3 Comments
Updated 12 Hours Ago

Rationality is Good

Oooo
StarTrek_is_Trash

I believe that rationality is good because......a) Why should we let society be destroyed by simple human nature? Shouldn't we let the empirical judgements of rationality rule over us? While it might mean seeing things we don't like, the effects, no matter how emotionally scarring the content is, and any interpretation is this is fair game because it doesn't matter how it was intended, the empirical content of the speech, what matters is the receiving of said speech....

Debating Period
3 Comments
Updated 10 Hours Ago

Should marriage be legal? Should it even exist at all?

cookiez4lllife

Just to make it clear, I do believe in marriage and whatnot, just looking for a challenging argument to try and use my logic and reasoning skills to win. IF YOU ARE WILLING TO HAVE A SERIOUS, WELL THOUGHT OUT DEBATE, PLEASE COMMENT OR MESSAGE ME....

Challenge Period
6 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Can guilt be separated from the idea of debt?

TheUnexaminedLife
hugojoy

Nietzsche argues that all guilt and 'bad conscience' first derives from this notion of 'debt'. Was he right?...

Debating Period
27 Comments
Updated 17 Hours Ago

All ideas are a logical interpretation of emotion

mschechtel17
CosmoJarvis

I present that all original ideas are a logical and practical interpretation of a certain feeling or emotion. Specifically that the formation on an idea takes place with an undeniable relationship to emotion and is expressed in the physical world to either prevent a specific emotion or in reaction to a specific emotion. An example of how this could happen is as follows: A stimulus elicits an emotion -> the human mind interprets that emotion to form an idea -> then the human person expresses that...

Debating Period
4 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

It is time to scrap our basic political structure starting with the Two-Party System

mschechtel17
wrinkledinkle

I present the idea that our current political structuring at the federal level is no longer the best fit for the Era we currently find ourselves in. Specifically the Two-Party system paradigm is incapable of accurately representing the diversity of ideas in America. I don't have an exact political system to replace the Two-Party system with, but will argue that a new one should be created. This is a free-form debate. I will argue for the Pro Just accept and state your argument and r...

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 16 Hours Ago

Did Joseph Stalin ruin Communism?

Avelvetnightmare
DrIVanHopekins

Hello comrades, My argument today is how Joseph Stalin, possibly the most famous Communist in world history, kept the Soviet Union from being the best country it could have been and effectively tainted communism with his reign, changing its ideology for the worse and negatively influencing the future of communism. Here are my reasons: 1. Lack of Equality One of the very core beliefs of Marxism is the destruction of Social Classes and the rights and powers of the Individual. As well as c...

Debating Period
9 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Do people update and create new things because they want to achieve perfection?

FrostByte15
Logiq

Recently I had a class with my sociology teacher and he stated the the only reason why people keep on creating and updating things because they are trying to achieve perfection. But I said no that is not true because deep down inside everybody know the perfection is not possible so I stated that the main reason why people keep on creating and updating things is because they know the world will eventually end and they want to know that they have achieved something in life before they die and h...

Debating Period
1 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Believing someone is a certain way will make them change

Mitchell_Snyder
dellomorgan123

First off, let me elaborate on the topic; if you knew someone was generally morally bad, but treated them as if they were good for a long enough time, would they become better? Now this can go not just for bad or good, but also other traits such as (confidence, shyness, outlook, etc). Here is my stance: We all know that, generally speaking if people treat us like we are dumb for instance, we will eventually believe it and it will shape us. However are some people immune to it? I for one doubt it...

Debating Period
6 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago