Philosophy Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

Are Atheists Able to Know Reality from Delusion?

ViceRegent

Atheists love to live under the delusion that they are the guardians of rationality. But how can they hold this title when they cannot even articulate a rational way to know truth from fiction. If they cannot do this, they are literally ignorant and the ignorant cannot guard anything. So, what atheist can give me a rational way atheists know truth from fiction? Answering this question is the sole purpose for this debate. If you are unable or unwilling to answer this question, do not respond t...

Challenge Period
0 Comments
Updated 4 Hours Ago

The husband betrays the wife

jonahofdeath
PowerPikachu21

A couple decided to commit suicide after a horrible life. They decided to jump off a building. When they got to the top, they both counted to three. The wife jumped, but the husband stayed. The husband watched the wife drop for about 8 seconds and then saw a parachute open. Who betrayed who?I believe that the husband betrayed his wife more than his wife betrayed him.Basically, the husband has betrayed the wife.I will argue my case, after this...

Debating Period
3 Comments
Updated 1 Hour Ago

Please give me assistance

Sidex
PowerPikachu21

This is an argument proposing that if you believe the words I speak are true then I wish for your assistance. Just as the church or government needs resources, so do I. I didn't want to ask this because all I will hear is"so his true colors come out." Anyone is free to prove me wrong, but if you speak against it without doing so then I will eviscerate you for your ignorance. I say that it is a coward who accuses without substance. Do not be foolish enough to try me you hypocrites! I'll take wh...

Debating Period
7 Comments
Updated 13 Hours Ago

Jesus wanted a socialistic economy

Sidex
HepEbolAids

My argument is that Jesus Christ was a socialist at heart. To debate me on this, you need to know the differences in the economic classifications and a knowledge of the Christ. I chose to classify this as Philosophy because ultimately I am always trying to find the truth. One of the key differences to know is that socialism is an economic class and communism is a government class. You should not assume that they are the same thing. Argue to whatever extent you would like, however, I am putting f...

Debating Period
22 Comments
Updated 23 Hours Ago

Being wrong makes you stupid

ivanschneider1985
me020603

Being wrong makes you an idiot. It is better to be right all the time, because that's where all the knowledge and wisdom lie....

1 Comments
Updated 3 Days Ago

ViceRegent
distraff

Voting Period
3 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Debating is pointless

jonahofdeath
WorstLife

I believe debating is pointless. This is the acceptance round.Anything is allowed as long as it is on topic. ...

Debating Period
5 Comments
Updated 4 Days Ago

Could we consider as philosophers non academic people (eg. Rappers, Artists, Poets, etc)?

ProDester
Davedebate

So the other day I had this argument with a friend and pretty much I was the one considering street artists, rappers, etc the modern philosophers and that we could compare such people with Plato, Aristotle,etc to a certain extend. To support my argument I would just say that since a philosopher doesn't need an academic background (mandatory) and since that kind of people tend to have that kind of moments of questioning life and existence, they may well come up with certain philosophical aspe...

Debating Period
3 Comments
Updated 3 Days Ago

Objective Morality

Sidex
GreyThoughts

Forgive my apparent lack of education. Unfortunately, I never did well in school, mostly because I was trying to figure out why I should do it. I always reserve the right to change my mind when presented with new information based on reason and logic. Humanity will become extinct, whether it's tomorrow or the end of time. Wouldn't an ultimate goal of anyone who is rational be to push that specific point of time into the future as much as possible? The Objectivity of Morality: What is right an...

Voting Period
50 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago

Religion causes too much violence and is not needed in society.

MasterManav
JustBusiness

In 1095, Pope Urban II said that God had come to him, and said that the Bible had a mistake and that it was okay to kill, just not to kill other Christians. Whereas the Bible said that killing anyone was wrong. "Whatsoever ye do unto the least of these, my brethren, ye do it unto Me." This means that it is God"s place to judge others not ours, for him to decide whether or not to use violence. Sometimes they refer to texts, such as the Old Testament or Bible, where their God has killed many for d...

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 3 Days Ago