Philosophy Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

The Problem of Evil fails

bacchicfrenzy
Emily77

I would like to argue that the Problem of Evil fails. I am looking for someone to defend the view that the Problem of Evil shows there is no God. Problem of Evil: 1) God is all knowing, so knows of evil 2) God is all powerful, so could stop evil 3) God is all good, so would stop evil 4) So, if God exists, there is no evil 5) Evil Exists 6) So, there is no God I will define evil as gratuitous human suffering, but the debater may define evil how they want. My initial reply to the p...

Debating Period
2 Comments
Updated 13 Hours Ago

The morality of using a hooker

Masterful

Hello and welcome to this debate. Today we will be discussing whether it is morally appropriate to use a hooker, popular opinion is of no interest to this debate. Recently, I began my annual cocaine/hooker binge and upon being balls-deep in the alpha hooker, I had began to dwell on a few philosophical questions, is paying for sex immoral? Before I could come to any real conclusion, my thought pattern was broken by the stench of sh*t and broken dreams, indeed, the hooker had shat the bed....

Challenge Period
3 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago

Cosmological Arguments for the Existence of God Fail

LuckyPenny
MagicAintReal

I tried to make the topic statement as self-explanatory as possible. I find cosmological arguments to be incredibly interesting as they are popular (due to the sizable reach of Natural Theology among lay believers) and can involve complex philosophical issues about things like causes, contingency/necessity, time, modality (especially metaphysical and logical possibility), and so on. As an atheist, I believe that all cosmological arguments fail for some reason or another (either they are structur...

Debating Period
3 Comments
Updated 4 Days Ago

Being Gay is Wrong and Unnatural

EliWilliam2020
your_local_alien

INTRODUCTION: I suspect my work it cut out for me on this one. History hasn't been on my side of this debate, and it has me defending two separate propositions. Still, I think my perspective is unique, because I'm not religious, or conservative; and I don't come at this with the kind of dogmatic certainty of others who have debated from my position. So hopefully you can forget about all those people on "my side", and just evaluate me by my word. Because the world doesn't always look the way w...

Debating Period
14 Comments
Updated 4 Days Ago

Hit women back?

Debatwinnerpro
icebeartheawesome

I think men should have the right to hit a woman back, its only fair. first round acceptance, and state your opinion....

Voting Period
1 Comments
Updated 3 Days Ago

Hit women back!

Debatwinnerpro
Philosopher12312

Debating Period
7 Comments
Updated 6 Days Ago

Are so called "Anarcho Capitalists" actually anarchists?

Dez_E
AlexIsWright

My argument, in a nutshell, is that so called "anarcho-capitalists" are ideologically opposed to the political theory of anarchism, and that while they are against certain types of authority, they actually are in favor of others. Anarchism is not just opposition to the state, it also includes opposition the all forms of unjustified authority....

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 6 Days Ago

is evil and good just figments of the imagination?

akvile02
Doubles

the only thing a human has to do in life is to die, everything else is just a choice. if god is just a figment of ones imagination and life in the end just ceases to exist then there's no meaning in life, thus there's no transcendental being. evil and good are both just figments of ones imagination and so is morality. everything is a construct. rape and murder is equally meaningless like love and care....

Debating Period
2 Comments
Updated 6 Days Ago

The world of ideas as stated by Plato do you believe that it could solve and prove everything?

anisapetrai
spacedoogo

The world of ideas as stated by Plato do you believe that it could solve and prove the existence of every idea ever presented?I believe it can. The theory of Forms or theory of Ideas is Plato's argument that non-physical (but substantial) forms (or ideas) represent the most accurate reality...

Debating Period
1 Comments
Updated 1 Week Ago

Can people be born free if they are not free to be born?

NKJVPrewrather
Overhead

I am taking the negative position that people can't be born free, if they are not free to be born, and pro is taking the positive position. I want pro to go first just to see where he os she is coming from, so I can present my case. Also, I will prove the personhood of the fetus and the right of all persons to live. Happy debating....

Debating Period
2 Comments
Updated 6 Days Ago