Philosophy Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

The Renaissance are just a continuation of the middle ages

Khons
DrChicken24

This first round is just the figuring out of who is going against me....

Voting Period
0 Comments
Updated 17 Hours Ago

That good is better than bad

ice_blaze

I want this to be a pretty short a fun debate about if good is better than bad. I am obviously kinda new to this, and I only debated with a weird typer called vi_spex. Hopefully I will have a good debate. Obviously, you know what good and bad means. Now someone please accept this challenge!!!! Thank you, and hopefully this will be good debate!...

Challenge Period
5 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Are we DE-evolving?

AAWalker
ice_blaze

Everyday, almost everyone uses slang or other forms of abbreviation. We have gone from Cave art, to letters, to phrases, to sentences. Now we are going from sentences, to slang, and now emojis, and other abbreviations. We are DE-evolving! Just curious to see other points of view....

Debating Period
4 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Does Progression in the Arts and Sciences Lead Closer to a Civilization's Downfall?

LuciferWept
pidanger

18th Century Political Philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau wrote a short discourse regarding the Arts and Sciences. In it, he argues that the more advanced a civilization gets in regards to these, the weaker it actually becomes until it eventually crumbles.I shall argue that he was correct.Con shall argue that he was incorrect.My argument, briefly, is as thus:The culture upon which any given civilization is based cannot support a great number of...

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

The Kalam Cosmological Argument

sengejuri
illegalcombat

Full Premise: The Kalam Cosmological Argument is sound. "Sound" is defined as "a logically valid argument that withstands all scrutiny." Simply put - if Con can present evidence or argument that successfully dismantles the Kalam, Con wins. Format: Round 1 - Acceptance and definitions Round 2 - Opening Arguments (no rebuttals) Round 3 - Rebuttals/Counter Arguments Round 4 - Final rebuttals (no new arguments) Con may begin their rebuttal immediately of the following argument...

Debating Period
2 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

evil does not exist

magic_magpie
Redman2234

A short debate with 3000 characters per round. I will argue evil does not exist first round acceptancesecond round arguments, define terms third round counter arguments forth round conclusion, no new arguments ...

Debating Period
2 Comments
Updated 21 Hours Ago

Resolved: It is probable that God exists.

ThinkBig
lannan13

Resolved: It is probable that God exists.Rounds:1. Con gives terms/Pro gives opening arguments2. Con's opening arguments/pro rebuts3. Con rebuts/pro defends4. Con defends/pro waives. For the purposes of this debate, the term "God" will be defined broadly as "The Supreme Being." That is to say, I this debate is not about any specific deity or religion. Hence doct...

Debating Period
19 Comments
Updated 15 Hours Ago

Socialism is better than capitalism

ShivamMishra
harrytruman

Clarifications on definitions : Socialism - ownership of the means of production, distribution, and exchange of wealth controlled and managed by the workers (NOT the state. it has been done in the political discourse but themes of political discourse are not good references for philosophical, economic or any scientific debates ); libertarian socialism. Capitalism - ownership of the means of production, distribution, and exchange of wealth controlled and managed by the private individuals; prin...

Debating Period
8 Comments
Updated 6 Days Ago

Religions are the sources of moral values

ShivamMishra
ThePostMarxist

Round 1 - Acceptance of challenge Round 2 - Both sides present their arguments along with their justifications Round 3 - Try to rebut each other's arguments Round 4 - Answer to rebuttals Round 5 - Concluding remarks...

Debating Period
7 Comments
Updated 6 Days Ago

Human beings are superior to animals

AnthonyH
ConservativeDialectic

Humanity in general has often struck me as being incredibly arrogant in almost everything we do. We assume our intelligence and ingenuity gives us the right to meddle with anything and everything that's within our grasp. We have this elevated view of ourselves in regard to nature. This notion that we have surpassed the lowly beast and are inherently "better", superior creatures that can lord over nature as we see fit. However, take the human being out of an ecosystem and nature thrives. Take...

Debating Period
8 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago