Aimee
jp1999

Phones should be allowed at school, during lunch.

Aimee

Pro

Your parents can know your safe, you can call your medical provider or the police, in case of an emergency. You can make you lunch more fun by playing games, taking photo's with friends, playing music, or checking facebook ect.
jp1999

Con

Firstly I would like to thank Aimee for allowing me to accept, and to join her debate.

A Phone is a distraction, a distraction is time spent away from educating activities. It is as simple as that, but then you may ask: 'What about during lunch time'?. School is a place for children to learn and have fun doing it. Social networking on a phone in school is not educating, but is stopping the child from doing something else.
I would like to point out, that at every school I have visited, phones have been banned from use within school hours, especially during the lunch period, and idle time has been replaced by optional clubs children can choose to go to.
If a child is so bored during a lunchtime that they wish to do something, they can join one of these clubs. If they don't, they obviously are not that bored...

Over to you Aimee
Aimee

Pro

Aimee forfeited this round.
jp1999

Con

My opponent has forfeited this round, thus prooving my point further. A phone is a distraction, ever wondered why we have so many road traffic accidents? The vast majority of them are caused by people on phones. How can you then expect a child, in school, to do well?
Aimee

Pro

Sorry about the forfeit. I see how a phone can be a distraction during class, but we aren't talking about in class we are talking about lunch. Most parents like to know that their children are okay, especially after the recent shooting. Eating lunch usually doesn't take the whole lunch, so you can play games or listen to music ect. Lastly, at lunch you aren't supposed to learn, you are supposed to take a break from learning, and have fun, which you can do on a phone.

Thank you for the experience
jp1999

Con

Rebuttal 1
Parents often have a saying, that is no news is good news. In terms of this from school, a child not contacting a parent means that they do not need to, if they do not need to, they must be fine. Trust me, there is nothing more hated by parents, than their child constantly texting them during school or anywhere from home, for that matter.

Rebuttal 2

A club is not neccesarily educating a child. For example, they could be attending a school band, or going to football training. At my school, we got one hour for lunch break. Normally, I would take 15-20 minutes to eat my lunch, then I would go to the club I did that lunchtime: normally a music band or something similar. The thing to remember is that a club is not educating a child like a classroom does, bearing in mind that a lunch break is a break from the classroom learning environment, rather than learning as a whole. A club actually enriches a child in his or her favourite subject. For example, if Design was your thing, there is a club that you could go to and teachers would help you design.

Rebuttal 3
Most phones nowadays have the ability to play music on them, but is that ok for the rest of us? Imagine walking around school and everywhere you go people are talking on their phones, blaring music out of them, playing games on them. A few problems with that.
  1. Noise - It will be quite irritating
  2. Unsociable - It will divert everyone's attention away from socialising.
  3. Bullies - Children could easily not have a phone to do this on, and from personal experience, they are often bullied about it.

Who to vote for?
So if you want school breaks to become noisy, unsociable and full of bullies, by all means vote Pro.

But if you agree with me, that:

• Phones should not be allowed for use in schools because
    • They are distracting
    • Unsociable
    • Encourages bullying
    • Noisy
    • Stopping a child being enriched in a lunchtime activity
  • Vote Con.

My thanks to Aimee for a very majestic debate, but voters please read below.

Voting Rules:
You must give a reason for your votes, anyone who does must be countered. If you are the person who counters the vote, please state so in your reason. I apologise that unless you have an alt account, you loose the vote as well.

Also, please read the whole argument. If I or Aimee feel a vote's reason does not match the actual argument's content, and we both agree, then your vote will be countered.

If you have any questions, ask them in the comments. Do not use your voting reason as a place to question our arguments.

Posted by IwinYoulose333 4 years ago
IwinYoulose333
Forfiet Fail
Posted by jp1999 4 years ago
jp1999
I have it in my favourites
Posted by IwinYoulose333 4 years ago
IwinYoulose333
No I don't really care as long as you come watch my new debate Yo mama joke battle When someone challenges me. You can if you want.
Posted by jp1999 4 years ago
jp1999
Thank you, I hope you dont mind if I use this as evidence in a future argument within this debate?

But I have my reservations over when Aimee, or even if, she posts back a rebuttal.
Posted by IwinYoulose333 4 years ago
IwinYoulose333
Personally I don't think it has a huge effect, but it's possible that people who were texting during a passing period may think they have to respond during class.
Posted by jp1999 4 years ago
jp1999
Thats very interesting, how would you say it affects concentration during school?
Posted by IwinYoulose333 4 years ago
IwinYoulose333
I was scanning around when I stumbled across this debate jp1999, and I just wanted to say that at my school here in the U.S. they do allow phones during lunch and passing periods seeing it as our free time.