c_s_c99
Dr.TurkeyBaster

Phones should be taken from kids and teens as soon as they arrive in school

Dr.TurkeyBaster

c_s_c99

Con

You say yes to this as I know. I would like you to explain how you think. I think phones can help out with the education of kids and teens due to their usefulness in the class for projects and assignments. Yes, I know there is an issue with controlling them, but there are consequences if they are used off topic. The teacher should check regularly if they have actually gotten anything done rather than just glancing over at them. Either way, I would like to see why you think that kids and teens shouldn't be allowed to have their phones with them on the school premise. Thank you for taking your time to read my explanation.
Dr.TurkeyBaster

Pro

Phones may have an educational aspect to them, but teens cannot be trusted to use them that way. Teens simply want to go on instagram, facebook, twitter, ect and screw around. Most teens in the U.S. have little to no interest in learning and being educated. Phones are a distraction and shouldn't be allowed at all in school. In countries like Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, China and Japan, those teens never use their phones in school and aren't distracted 24/7.
c_s_c99

Con

This argument is why I said that we should take more steps to actually keep the teens in the USA on track with their work. The statement on most teens not wanting an education is not true, it's the way it's taught in most classrooms that make it uninteresting. Most classrooms just have packets to do or notes to take (I admit I have those types of classes, they suck and it's not fun doing them, but I do them anyways). Classes should teach with more interest attached to them. Make the class an online thing that's sort of fun at least, or a least gets the attention of the kids and stops them from screwing around with the phones and such devices. There might be an argument of school is meant for an education, not fun, but if you want the kids to want to learn the material, you need them to have some interest towards the subject, and phones ad other devices like Tablets can help them with this sort of thing. If you look at what kids are looking at these days, it's going to be mostly screens. I agree they should get off of them sometimes, but they should be able to be on them for the interest of the class and learning the subject rather than wanting to screw around on the phones like you say they would. If kids and teens have the ability to learn with phones more (NOT all the time, I think they should have to not use them sometimes, like in a math class when there is an app of some sort that can solve problems for you and such). They should be able to use them for research, projects, and note taking, but they should limit it to that. For assignments like mental math and math that's supposed to be done by pencil and paper (calculators can be used as well, I will account for that), they should be out of sight of the teachers, and the teachers should take part in watching f they try to get to their phones rather than sitting at their desk shopping on Amazon or looking on Facebook or such things like that. Grading would be an exception, but would say to save that for a later time, or when you have someone who is reliable enough in the class to watch over the rest of the students for phone use (Yes, there are students like that). I hope you can see at least some of m reasoning on why kids should en able to have phones in the learning environment WITHOUT being disruptive.
Dr.TurkeyBaster

Pro

Regardless of if kids want an education or not, they don't need to be on Facebook or Twitter during class. Kids are in school to LEARN, not to socialize and screw around on their phones. It won't matter if a lesson is "more interesting" teens are teens and will still screw around on their phones so long as they have access to them. Teens and kids these days truly don't understand not being able to use their cell phones. They don't need them in school because they are not learning tools.
Tablets and IPads are a different story, those are more practical for educational use.
c_s_c99

Con

The solution to the problem of the kids screwing around with their phones to keep a really good eye on them, and if you catch them (which will happen if the teacher is keeping a good track on the kids and looking for the ways they can hide like, like in bags on their laps or under their desk), you punish them with a warning first, then a referral on the second offense. Then if they can't keep their act together, the third offense to the rule of no phones unless permitted by the teacher will be met with the loss of phone privileges for a determined amount of time (a month or more in the school) to tell them that this will be handled seriously if they are not doing what they are supposed to be doing. The more they get in trouble, the less they learn. It is truly on the kid if they want to actually get things done, and most people after seeing how hard the teachers will look and the punishments for having them catch you, won't screw around with the phones, and if they did, they would get the punishments as mentioned, making them learn that they need to stop looking at their phone if they want to slide by a class or two without failing the classes. If they truly don't want an education and want to screw around with their phones and stuff, they will be caught by a teacher and punished for not doing what they are supposed to do, leading to a domino effect on their lives really, considering they will get in more and more trouble with the offense, and might go on to do worse and worse stuff in the school due to their hatred of the school. You may think it is far fetched, but yo never know with today's crazy generation who will get mad over any tiny thing they don't like. The argument that phones aren't learning tools isn't true at all. They are more convenient than tablets and other things due to their portability. They are so much easier to carry around rather than having a big ol' tablet in your hands, while you can have your phone right in your pocket easy to take out and use.

Before we end this thing, I would like to thank you for taking your time to debate with me over this topic and I hope that you have safe travels on here and in your life. Thank you again for accepting the challenge!

VOTE CON
Dr.TurkeyBaster

Pro

Regardless of if they're learning tools at all, teens can't be trusted to use them as a learning tool. Teens just simply can't be trusted very much. They will misuse their phone any chance they get. And apparently if kids get their phones taken, some will attack their teachers. There has been cases of that happening.
Posted by Lauren-yiwen 1 year ago
Lauren-yiwen
Children and teen's phone should be taken away when they arrived at school. It is the easiest way to save them away from temptation , to help them focus on the study. If you think keep eyes on them also a good way that would be a huge mistake. I have been student I know that we always can find a way make teacher don't know everything. Phones taken away is the best way to save all the problem , children have school day without phone they get used to it then during the weekend they will not want their phone that much
Posted by Themeaman909 1 year ago
Themeaman909
What con said was true though, "(Yes there are students like that,)" I am one of those students.
Posted by Themeaman909 1 year ago
Themeaman909
Take away the phones, they make us MINDLESS SHEEP!
Vote Placed by Themeaman909 1 year ago
Themeaman909
c_s_c99Dr.TurkeyBasterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con made several points, and had a good conduct, but I truly believed that the phones are a distraction, and con didn't provide the best of evidence, so pro gets most of this one.