BillyTheKids
OneElephant

Phronemophobia is a hypocritical fear

BillyTheKids

Pro

The First round will be for acceptance only then the way it will work will be,

2. Opening argument

3. Rebuttal and another argument

4. final rebuttal

5. conclusion

if you do not know what this fear is it is, the fear of thinking
OneElephant

Con

I accept (first debate in quite a bit, I believe).

In the following round, please define the terms Phobia, Thinking, and Hypocritical with sources to support each definition. Best of luck!
BillyTheKids

Pro

My opponent would like me to first put out the definitions of the words thinking, phobia and hypocritical.

Phobia- a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it.

Thinking- thought; judgment, reflection

Hypocritical/ Oxymoron- a figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect

The phobia that we are talking about is phronemophobia, the fear of thinking.

To be quick and sweet, it is an oxymoron or hypocritical because to fear thought you can not fear it without fearing the fear. If you fear something you are in terms "thinking about it" making yourse;f fear your fear, INCEPTION!
OneElephant

Con

I thank my opponent for his prompt response, and for including the definitions I asked. I will also try and keep my explanation quick and simple.

http://blog.lib.umn.edu...

There are many ways to interpret the mind in relation to consciousness but the most commonly used and simplified explanation, I think, is Freud's iceberg, shown in the link above. Essentially, Freud's iceberg divides the mind into the conscious, the preconscious, and the unconscious. The conscious level of our mind is where thinking occurs, because when we think we are conscious and aware of our thoughts.

I think my opponent's argument hinges on the premise that fears are stored in the conscious level of our mind as well. However, most psychologists would agree that this premise is false because a phobia is usually an instinctive reaction we aren't fully aware or in control of (as my opponent explains in his definition, it's irrational), and thus should rightfully lie between the preconscious and unconscious.

Many experiments and theories also affirm the idea that phobias are part of the subconscious. This is why, for example, hypnosis is a popular treatment of phobias - because it allows psychiatrists to access a supressed memories as a result of trauma and shame that are buried within the lower layers of our mind.

In summation, because phobias are not a conscious reaction, it is not contradictory to have a subconscious fear of conscious thought.

BillyTheKids

Pro

BillyTheKids forfeited this round.
OneElephant

Con

OneElephant forfeited this round.
BillyTheKids

Pro

BillyTheKids forfeited this round.
BillyTheKids

Pro

Well, that was interesting, however I would like to thank my opponent and hope we can argue again... real soon
Posted by OneElephant 4 years ago
OneElephant
Whoops, typo.