Physical Beauty Depends on How Much Effort You Put Into It

Physical beauty is totally dependent on hard work - nobody is a natural beauty. This includes what kind nutrients you eat to make your hair and skin beautiful, as well as the amount of time you put into exercise, and strength training to create a nicely formed body shape. It also depends how much personal care you've put into yourself, such as washing your teeth everyday to have nice teeth versus rotten teeth, as well as growing healthy hair, and washing it versus greasy and damaged hair. It also depends on how often you may trim your facial hair and other body hair, and what type of haircut you have that will best fit your face shape. It depends on what kind of fashionable clothes you choose to wear, the quality of the material as well as the style to fit your body shape. If you have seen makeover shows, you can see that you can turn any ugly duckling into a beautiful swan, because it depends on how much work you put into making yourself beautiful. Therefore, physical beauty depends on effort, and does not come naturally.

In order to conduct this debate properly, we must define our terms.
Beauty- As defined by Merriam-Webster. Please notify me if you prefer an alternative source,
"the quality or aggregate of qualities in a person or thing that gives pleasure to the senses or pleasurably exalts the mind or spirit."
Now, you use the term "physical beauty." What does this mean? I assume you are referring to beauty in relation to the persons body- "a person's or animal's whole physical self." This is a hard subject to debate. How do you define beauty? How do you define it in relation to the body vs the mind? I would prefer the term "attractiveness- : having a pleasing appearance ; especially : having a pleasing appearance that causes romantic or sexual feelings in someone." I believe this is what you are referring to when you say physical beauty. If you have some other meaning, please notify me.

Now that I have defined my terms, I will make my argument. You say that beauty is a thing that requires work- that natural beauty does not exist, and that beauty is totally related to effort put into it. The problem is, many people are attracted to things that cannot be changed with effort. It could be height, the way a laugh sounds, or the color of their eyes. While these can be partially changed with makeup and other effects, some cannot, and a large part of this requires that one was born with it. For example, it is widely accepted that there are three general human body types. These have been found to be passed down through genetics. Here are a few descriptions of each type, from

Narrow hips and clavicles
Small joints (wrist/ankles)
Thin build
Stringy muscle bellies
Long limbs

Wide clavicles
Narrow waist
Thinner joints
Long and round muscle bellies

Thick rib cage
Wide/thicker joints
Hips as wide (or wider)
than clavicles
Shorter limbs

I personally am an ectomorph. I am and have always been very skinny and lanky. In fact, I have to work to put on weight, and it is an exceptional difficult task. I might be able to build myself up to the size of a slim mesomorph, but never an endomorph. And even if I could, this would not change how my bones are shaped and sized. I am not bitter about this, for I cannot change it- but if someone considers an endomorph body type beautiful/attractive, it is impossible for me to become this type. No amount of hard work can increase the thickness of my ribs, or make my joints larger. It is simply my natural body type, and something that my effort cannot change.

With Regards,

Hello Thrillogy,

I am thrilled to hear your opinion. I agree with the Webster's definition of beauty, but when I mean physical beauty it means giving pleasure to the eyes normally in public with clothes on, and not private such as the bedroom, where it may give rise to romantic or sexual feelings by seeing someone naked. For example, you can even call a child "beautiful" or "handsome," or even your own grandma, mother, or father having physical beauty. When I am talking about physical beauty, I am talking about how anybody has the ability to become beautiful or handsome with the attributes that they are born with, and not about fitting into a certain type of beauty standard that everyone says we all have to conform to.

We are all genetically given different body shapes, however if we do not put 'EFFORT' into the type of clothes we wear to best fit our body shape, then it will not be as aesthetically pleasing in public. For example, you believe that an endomorph type may be the shape you want. However, if this endomorph body type wears a 5XL size shirt, it's not going to look that nice. Or if the person chooses to wear a shirt with a fried chicken logo, it may not look as nice compared to a man in a suit and tie. Also, if the man with an endomorph body shape overeats or doesn't exercise, then he will gain weight. On the other hand, if the man keeps his shape by putting effort into what he eats and exercise, then he will stay fit.

Therefore, physical beauty depends on how much effort you put into your body.

I'm glad to see we have come to an agreement on the terms. To clarify things completely, you are using the word "beauty" to mean someone who is aesthetically pleasing to the eye. The problem is, not everyone's eye is identical- we do not all consider the same things aesthetically pleasing. For example, my wife currently wants to paint the insides of our house, which has beige siding, beige. She would consider a "quaint little beige house" beautiful, whereas I find the color appalling. Let's say I'm going to a party. I shave my facial hair, get a very short haircut, put on a nice black suit and blue tie and go to the party. I might appear handsome to someone into clean shaven, short haired, brown eyed guys with blue ties. But what about people who think beards are handsome? What if somebody has a strong dislike for black suits? What if they say oh, you would be pretty handsome, but that blue tie clashes with your eyes. Now, what if I had got up that morning, skipped the haircut, forgotten to shave, went to the party in my pajamas, and then all the people who found my previous look ugly now thought I looked handsome. But those who liked my previous look nolonger found me handsome. Beauty and handsomeness and not objective things. Some may find me handsome without any effort put into my appearance. Some might require a substantial amount. The subjectivity involved invalidates the idea that you cannot be genetically and naturally handsome.

I believe I miscommunicated the "body types" point. Let's say that I am an Ectomorph. I am fairly fit, but still skinny and lanky, and that is simply my body type. Now, let's say I think a less lanky and more "meaty" body would be more handsome- no matter how hard I try, how much I eat, or how specialized my workout is, I cannot change my body type. I can adjust it slightly, perhaps, but never fully change it. No matter how much effort I put in, I will not be a mesomorph, or considered handsome by someone who only likes mesomorphs. It simply cannot be done.

"I am talking about how anybody has the ability to become beautiful or handsome with the attributes that they are born with, and not about fitting into a certain type of beauty standard that everyone says we all have to conform to."
Everyone has the ability to become beautiful of handsome with the attributes the are born with, according to who? Someone who finds them in that outfit handsome. But someone will find that unattractive. I find it a tad ironic that you say not to conform to a certain type of beauty standard, but also that anyone can be beautiful, and long as they put effort into looking like..... A certain type of beauty standard? I'm not trying to be derogatory, just pointing out what appears to be faulty logic.

PS I don't know if that first line was a pun, but I liked it. Remind me to use that sometime :)

Yes Thrill, it was a pun, and I am totally thrilled at your response because it sparked up some interesting topics I have not thought about.

For one, you mentioned how we all have subjective opinions about what is beauty. A person may find you to be handsome without any effort, or a person may find you handsome with much effort. In my opposition, I would like to argue against "any or no effort." Even though each person may have their own definition of beauty, each person would still have to put in some kind of effort, whether it's "little effort," or a "substantial amount" of effort. There is no person who puts in NO EFFORT at all, except for infants who cannot take care of themselves, or the sick and physically disabled, where someone else is putting in the effort for them. In this case, I am talking about the general adult population. From the most effort with clothes on, to the least effort with no clothes on, one still has to put in effort to sustain the body itself. For if there is no effort at all to even sustain the health of person's physical body, the body would not exist to be visually judged as having beauty or not.

Secondly, you said that I appear to have faulty logic, so let me explain. My argument was that anybody can be beautiful with what they have been given, by using their physical features to either put in little to much effort to be perceived as having beauty. I was against any conformation to a standard beauty that falls out of what they have been given to meet other people's standard or opinion of beauty. For example, you said that an ectomorph no matter what effort cannot become a mesomorph. Sure, a person cannot be absolutely beautiful or handsome in the eyes of all the men and women because of differing opinions. However, we shouldn't try to conform or please someone else who may have a different opinion, but rather we should all work with what we have to be beautiful in our own skin.

It is true, that in my first argument, I may be generally talking about a specific beauty standard, one that have covered the aspects of "big effort." What I would like to do now, is to cover the other aspect of "little effort." As my title says, beauty "depends on how much effort you put into it." The following argument is my case for those who put in little effort, and can also be beautiful. As you have said, everyone has their own opinion or standard of beauty. If one person doesn't agree that the person is beautiful, there is always going to be the opposite, someone who thinks the person is beautiful. Therefore, any person can become beautiful because beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Second, to be even seen in the eye of the beholder, the person must exist before them to be judged as having beauty or not. Therefore, the person with "little effort," as I have mentioned before, would still require human effort to sustain the organs and functioning of a body to physically appear before the person, to be perceived as beautiful or not.

An observable example may be this homeless man, Jim Wolf's make over:
Jim may be handsome before his makeover in the eyes of some with little effort, while others may say he is handsome after his makeover with big effort, or some may say he is not handsome at all. Yet, there is bound to be at least one person who thinks he is handsome or having beauty that is pleasing to the eyes, and so he fits the fact that any person can have physical beauty. In both before and after, Jim still had to use either little or big effort in order to sustain the look with what he has, which means he is using at least some kind of effort but never no effort. Moreover, he is not trying to conform to what he doesn't have, say using plastic surgery for aesthetic reasons to achieve a certain look. He can have beauty using what he has by being satisfied with his own self. He can achieve his best look in his own skin, whether it is with little or much effort.

Therefore, anyone has the ability to have physical beauty, depending on how little or big effort they put into themselves, but absolutely not "no effort" because that effort would still depend on the effort of someone else.

Thrillogy forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by ColeTrain 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: ff