Ygdjh
tw18

Physical Bookstores Are Better Than Actual Bookstores

Ygdjh

Pro

Physical bookstores are better than online bookstores. First of all, an actual bookstore includes store employees. Store employees can help you find a book, a benefit you don't get at an online bookstore. I for one often have trouble picking out a book, but a store employee can help me find the book I am looking for and pick out a book.
Second of all, there is the factor of speed. We live in a society where everyone wants things now. With a physical bookstore, once you purchase a book, you can immediately start reading it. With an online bookstore, it can take days or even weeks for the book you have ordered to be shipped to your house.
Lastly, at an online bookstore, it is not always easy to tell if you want to buy the book. You will get a summary of course, and if you are lucky you will be able to read an excerpt of a few pages. However, in a physical bookstore, you can skim through the book. The pages of the book you can read to see if you like the book is not limited to a chapter. Sometimes it takes more than an excerpt to find out if you want to read a book.
Does anyone want to take up the argument that an online bookstore is better than a physical bookstore?
tw18

Con

Online bookstores are better than physical bookstores. Online bookstores are more convenient. My parents never have time to take me to an actual bookstore, so I buy most of my books online. In our technologically advanced society, most books seem to be bought online. It's easier for those with a busy schedule or even those that are just too lazy to go to a store.
Ygdjh

Pro

Physical bookstores are better than bookstores. Some people are lazy and don't want to go the store. This is exactly why physical bookstores are better. Online bookstores are encouraging people to be lazy when it does not take much effort to go to a bookstore. For some people, going to a bookstore physically may be the only exercise they get.
Not only that, but some people don't even have computers or any other device that would enable them to buy books online. You do not need any special equipment to shop at a bookstore. I have also previously mentioned that with physical bookstores, you get to read the books right away, while with online bookstores it could take even weeks. These things would also make a physical bookstore more convenient.
Not only that, but authors actually end up with more money if you buy books online. As Marie Brennon, an author, said, if you buy a book on an online store, the store will just continue to list the book and buy the book from the author when a customer buys it. However, with a physical bookstore, when you buy a book, the bookstore will buy more books depending on how many copies of the book were sold. They will want to keep three or four copies on hand in case someone comes in and wants to buy the book. Because of these differences in the different types of bookstores, authors get more money when people shop at physical bookstores.
If people don't have time to shop at a physical bookstore, then how do they have time to shop at an online bookstore? Yes, for some people this may be because the physical bookstore if further away. However, it is very unlikely that you will never go to a region with a bookstore. After all, if you are on a big shopping trip in a city, why not stop by at the bookstore on the way? This is simply to prove that people do have time to shop at physical bookstores. Even those with a busy schedule can find time.
SOURCES:
http://www.swantower.com...
tw18

Con

tw18 forfeited this round.
Posted by Atmas 2 years ago
Atmas
One word, E-Book.
Buying books online and having them shipped is outdated. Now people just find the book they want, buy it online, and can read it anywhere they take their phone, laptop, or kindle. The search option and the category selection makes finding books easier, plus they have a far wider selection of books than a physical bookstore could ever have. I'll admit that, for book nerds like me, a physical book and the bookstores that sell them is like heaven. The feeling of opening a fresh book for some unknown adventures is addicting.