EdgeOfTheInfinite
Grandzam

Physical Education and healthy meal plans should be mandatory in all schools

EdgeOfTheInfinite

Pro

First round is acceptance, second round is arguments, third round is for rebuttals and the last round is for rebuttals and counter arguments.
Grandzam

Con

EdgeOfTheInfinite

Pro

Obesity is on the rise
One out of six children these days are obese, one out of three are overweight[1]. That is too many children. In the past when children were bored they would play outside. Right now they sit around and eat junk food on their cell phones. If we do not stop these obesity rates it is inevitable we will be facing a heart disease epidemic in the future as well as a future of lazy adults who can barely touch their toes let alone run a country. It is recommended that children get 1 hour of physical activity a day[2] and getting lots of fruits and veggies and limited fats and oils. With a healthy meal plan and physical education we can achieve this.

Physical Education offers more than just gym
At least here in Canada, physical education is not just playing sports in a gymnasium, it's also learning about health living and eating, the dangers of drugs and alcohol, sex ed and bullying. That is the grade 9 Ontario curriculum I would imagine others would be similar to it in a sense. The point is kids would learn a lot more in phys ed than just how to run. They would learn how to take care of themselves when they're at home, all the healthy and unhealthy things to eat and moderation.

Kids are eating too much junk
34% of child eat fast food on any given day[3]. If we learned anything from Super Size Me than we know that is way too much. School might possibly be the only place these children even get nutritious foods. At home they might proceed to eat junk so the very least we can do for them is give them a nutritious lunch that gives the body a portion of the nutrients it needs to stay alive.

Citation
[1]https://www.hsph.harvard.edu...
[2]https://www.cdc.gov...
[3]http://time.com...
Grandzam

Con

The oppressive power to control others is the power that leads to the devaluation of human life and the destruction of the society that binds us together. Every human has worth. Every human deserves to experience life to the fullest. Denying this fact is denying the reason for your own existence, for if you have not experienced, you would be the same as an inanimate object and might as well have not had life. Slavery takes away these fundamental requirements for life, by limiting your experience and destroying your worth as a human.

Slavery refers to the practice of people owning other people and exerting power to make them work against their will. Indeed, a slave can do practically nothing, trained to follow the will of the master. This oppressive power devalues and eventually extinguishes the life of a being. When slaves are forced to work, they are deprived of choice and experience that will take them to understanding. The less a slave is able to gain experience and make choices the less they can live.

Slavery in the US was largely justified by their masters with the basis of race inferiority. Racism caused the destruction, and it was a while until we recovered. There have been countless slaves over the generations. In history, you might mourn those who have died in the Holocaust or war, but there have been much less deaths than there were slaves. Take this moment to mourn the loss of life slavery has caused. You do not hear anything about the individual slaves of the past as they have never truly gained their potential as humans and allowed to live. Instead they have been allowed to suffer one of the most terrible things in human kind, living without life.

Racism was the excuse used by the masters to justify their greed. Do not let your judgement be clouded, they were all humans who needed to live. They needed to have choice and redeem the value of their life, as all humans do. They needed to feel the joys and pains of freedom. Hope, fear, desire, slaves were never allowed to truly feel those things for themselves. Reject the notion that slaves still had these things, they were controlled from the beginning of their lives. They may have felt things, but nothing that a free person would. Freedom makes life meaningful, do not let life dissolve into living without life.

The control of humans must end. Humans need to experience for themselves. Pro would have you believe that we can control others for their greater good, but this is folly. The value of human life is the experience they gain. Pain and joy, suffering and gladness, all of them experienced freely allow humans to gain the true value of their life. This means rejecting governmental control that does not protect the experience of others.

School is devised as a way to control children and teenagers to do what the adults want them to do, same as the slaveowners. School would not be a problem if freely experienced, but it forced in the US. Most kids in the US spend their lives in school for 10 years or more. School does not contribute back the freedom it takes away. Reject the idea of school as a necessary thing. Affirm only governmental control that contributes more freedom than it takes away, such as a ban on violence. Reflect a moment on what this means. Living devoid of life.

Do not let ageism cloud your mind. Children and teenagers, babies and the elderly, they all experience and gain value from life the same way. Ageism is the same excuse as the slaveowners years ago. Do not let society take this path again. Be the one who rejects ageism and school, for this is one of the things that we might reflect on in the future where human society has taken a bad turn, just like we do today for slavery. Thus, I negate.
EdgeOfTheInfinite

Pro

A lot of cons arguments seem less like a debate about whether or not we should should have healthy meal plans and physical education and more like that we shouldn't have government. I encourage con to get back on track with the original sttement of the debate.

"School is devised as a way to control children and teenagers to do what the adults want them to do, same as the slaveowners."
School is used for the education o our children to prepare them for the future. After 16 you can legally drop out of school if you wish. It is designed to make us better citizens. The way the school system is designed with rules and consequences when you break them is set up to be similar to the judiciary system so when our children leave school they know how to act.

"it forced in the US."
The jobs without a high school education can barely be spat at[1]. The government has good reason to make school mandatory. Without it you have a future that can't count to ten let alone do any job that requires any critical thinking.

"School does not contribute back the freedom it takes away."
This is so inaccurate. School provides about 68 years of freedom if you don't got to college and you live to be 80. If we don't have physical education in our schools you can expect you can expect it to be half of that.

Okay so my opponent continues with something that has nothing to do with this debate. My opponent solely made points that said that we shouldn't have school or government. He didn't even reference the title of this debate.

I will let voters decide how this affects his score on conduct.

Citation
[1]http://work.chron.com...
Grandzam

Con

My opponent clearly does not understand the point of my argument. It argues that school should not exist. I should not need to point that school has to exist for the resolution to be affirmed, thus if my argument stands at the end of the debate you must negate. This is obviously topical so there is no reason for this to affect conduct.

My argument basically goes untouched. They just give some facts about the benefits of school and ignores the greater harm that my opponent is creating by improperly controlling humans. The ultimate purpose of life is destroyed when deprived of free experience. She doesn't respond to this at all, this impact goes completely dropped. This argument presents much greater importance than all of Pro's case and so their impacts can be ignored if mine can stand.

Furthermore, even if my opponent is somehow able to prove that school is beneficial enough to be allowed, forcing children to take PE and school staff to offer healthy meals restricts their ability to gain free experience which still devalues human life, so you still negate.
EdgeOfTheInfinite

Pro

This is a debate on healthy meal plans not the existence of schools. When you click on a debate you are supposed to be debating that topic not something loosely related to that topic.

A world without education is anarchy. No one would have the qualifications to work no one would have money so the selling of drugs, looting of the educated and other self interest crimes would skyrocket. Though this is not the point of this debate. A world without school though you think it is "controlling humans" would be far worse. I have reason to believe that con is half way through the book "Anthem" and is now against any sort of collectivism.

"gain free experience which still devalues human life, so you still negate."
This is not a debate banning minors from consuming junk food and not exercising an hour a day, but rather enforcing healthy living in schools. Children can go home play COD and eat a big mac if they wish, but this sort of behavior wouldn't happen in schools. Something hypocritical on your apart id that ou believe that you are against the drug legalization with the argument "not good". I find it appalling that you would oppose school because it is similar to slavery yet you argue that letting adults not be able to do as they please as they please without harm to others to be "not good". Simply a world without education would be far worse than a world with legal drugs.

Another case of hypocrisy on my opponents part is that he claims his "argument basically goes untouched." When he makes no attempt to rebute my arguments from the second round. I urge my opponent to remain with the subject of the debate which is "Physical Education and healthy meal plans should be mandatory in all schools" instead of schools being banned or whatever argument con is trying to make.
Grandzam

Con

My opponent says I must be debating the topic, which I am. My burden as Con is to show that the resolution isn't true, and I have done this. Forcing kids to do something is wrong, like take PE. I explained that in the third round.

A world without education is not anarchy. Just think about the dark ages in Europe where most places in Europe were ruled by some form of monarchy, which is clearly not anarchy. Education existed only for the rich, again in most places in Europe. That itself is a strawman however, I never argued that education shouldn't exist. Only required education.

The next argument took me a while to understand. It appears that she has gone on my profile and seen that I am con on drug legalization LOL. First, I set that a long time ago, I'm not sure I believe that anymore, I haven't thought about my opinions on that in a long time. Second and most relevant, my personal beliefs aren't in question. I can argue completely opposite to my beliefs in debate. In debate, using an argument does not imply belief in that argument. People do this all the time, including me, to understand the opposing side better.

You are right that your arguments are untouched but that's because they don't argue anything important if my impacts survive the debate. If I am right that mandatory school and mandatory PE destroys the point of living, whatever positive effects are gained from it don't matter. Since my arguments clearly have survived the debate due to my opponent thinking them irrelevant, vote Con.
Posted by sbaile1940 1 year ago
sbaile1940
We have that in my school. I doesn't work! Kids are still unhealthy. I am against this idea.
Posted by Grandzam 1 year ago
Grandzam
lol I reported it because it was a bad vote. Try getting a good voter to vote on this and see who they vote.
Posted by EdgeOfTheInfinite 1 year ago
EdgeOfTheInfinite
You are so salty Grandzam. I know you reported him. Admit it you tanked this debate.
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: AmericanDeist// Mod action: Removed<

5 points to Pro (Arguments, Sources). Reasons for voting decision: Pro used sources and stayed on topic. His argument was sound from the get go. Schools should have healthy meal plans and physical education classes. That is a no brainer.

[*Reason for removal*] (1) Sources are insufficiently explained. Even in cases where only one side provides sources, the voter is still required to explain how those sources were reliable. (2) Arguments are insufficiently explained. The voter is required to specifically analyze arguments by both debaters and compare those analyses between the two debaters. In this case, the voter only states that Pro"s argument is "sound from the get go", never actually pointing out pieces of that argument that were persuasive, and does not assess Con"s argument. The voter also appears to use largely biased reasoning for the decision, stating that this outcome was a "no brainer." All of this makes the vote insufficient.
************************************************************************
Posted by Grandzam 1 year ago
Grandzam
I used a kritik, which doesn't to worry about little things like opposing arguments. If your confused about what a K is, see this http://www.debate.org...
Posted by EdgeOfTheInfinite 1 year ago
EdgeOfTheInfinite
Specific, be specific. You did not rebute any of my arguments. Even if you just said that anything mandatory within schools such as required curriculum, but you completely disregarded my entire argument. You are giving me a migraine so please just stop and let the voters decide how they see your argument.
Posted by Grandzam 1 year ago
Grandzam
lol how would it be anarchy? Anarchy is no government
Posted by Grandzam 1 year ago
Grandzam
I showed that those things shouldn't be required. How is that not about PE and meal plans?
Posted by EdgeOfTheInfinite 1 year ago
EdgeOfTheInfinite
It'd still be anarchy in this generation. An argument that applies to 100s of years ago with completely different circumstances is within itself flawed.
Posted by EdgeOfTheInfinite 1 year ago
EdgeOfTheInfinite
What do you mean I didn't anything important? I argued what the debate was supposed to be about healthy meal plans and physical education. If someone would like to actually debate me on the topic just challenge me to a debate please.