mmurph123
Hylian_3000

Physical Education should be prioritized over Intellectual Education for early children.

Hylian_3000

mmurph123

Pro

First Round will be for accepting the debate, Second round will be presenting Cases, third round will be rebuttals, and fourth and final round will be for final observations and summary. No new Arguments will be allowed in the final round.
Hylian_3000

Con

I accept, I hope this will be interesting.
mmurph123

Pro

First, I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this round. I too hope that it will be interesting

==Definitions==

Physical Education, as defined by the Merriam-Webster(1), is instruction in the development and care of the body ranging from simple calisthenic exercises to a course of study providing training in hygiene, gymnastics, and the performance and management of athletic games. I will leave the definition of a young child broad, however a child is defined as, by the legal dictionary(2), "a young person"

==Case==

Contention 1: Childhood Obesity

Childhood obesity is one of the biggest issues we face today. In 2012, more than 1/3 of children and adolescents where overweight or obese. (3) Children who are overweight or obese are at risk for various diseases, including heart disease and diabetes (4). In a sample of 5-to 17-year-olds, almost 60% of overweight children had at least one CVD risk factor and 25% of overweight children had two or more CVD risk factors. Children who are obese are also more likely to be obese as an adult (3). As an adult, there are further risks involved with obesity, including various forms of cancer. By prioritizing athletic and physical development, we can teach children the proper skills to avoid , such as calorie balancing. According to the CDC, Schools play a particularly critical role by establishing a safe and supportive environment with policies and practices that support healthy behaviors. Schools also provide opportunities for students to learn about and practice healthy eating and physical activity behaviors. (3)

Contention 2: Improving life.

As already stated, obesity is a major issue in today's world. Yes, intellectual education is important, but so is teaching people how to live a healthy life. Physical education provides kids a chance to develop motor skills, (5) key later in life. Secondly, sports education teaches kids both teamwork and a drive to succeed and win. (6) Third, Sports teach kids how to accept defeat.(6)

It is for these reasons I urge a Pro Ballet. (Sorry for the short case, I am quite busy today.)
Hylian_3000

Con

Thanks for not forfeiting the second round, Pro!

Opening
==============
I believe that Intellectual Education should be prioritized over Physical Education. Having Intellectual Education over Physical Education has more benefits than the alternative. Since IE is already prioritized over PE, Pro will have a lot more BOP than I will. Let us begin!

Arguments
==================
1. Long-term gain
Kids need to know math, reading, and how do write if they are to get anywhere in life. Sure, sports are a viable option for kids who don't know much but are in tip-top physical condition. But let's face it, how many kids will actually get into the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL? Not a whole lot. But there are lots of job opportunities for people who are smart. Truth is, being intelligent in life has a lot more pros than just being fit. If kids are to get a head start and become smarter, we should teach them math, reading etc. at an early age.

2. Statistics
The U.S is not doing very well in academics. America, as of 2012, is at the bottom of the list in source [1] for math, and is fairly low in reading and science as well. We have the resources! We have all the material we need, we just need to teach it to the kids. If we teach kids math, science, and reading at an early age, we can have more intelligent people in the future in the U.S. According to source [2], kids learn faster than adults. If we are to teach kids the building blocks of academics, they would have an easier time learning more advanced concepts later in life. They will have time for PE, but they don't have to worry about being fit for a while.

3. Overweight Children
I do agree that overweight children are a problem in the U.S, however, children burn fat faster naturally, since they are growing. For example, a new born infant is chubby and will stay like that for a couple years. But, as time passes they become slender and fit, and then they should start thinking about their weight. We don't need to prioritize PE over IE, we still could use it, but we don't need to prioritize it.

4. Style of PE
If the title is confusing, I don't blame you. Most PE classes for early children are just sports and game, they don't benefit the child and it doesn't help them in the long run. Again, how many kids will actually get into the big leagues? PE doesn't help at an early age as they just play basketball, football, or other sports, rather than studying and learning skills that are valuable later and life and will make higher tier academics easier for them.

5. Confusion
Once kids age old enough, they will need to know how to take writing tests and know how to study. Tell me, how will kids know that if they are in PE for a long time. They need to know how to behave in these classes and what they need to do. Plus, knowing how to study and behave are valuable skills in 4th grade onward.

================
[1]: http://www.businessinsider.com...
[2]: http://edlab.tc.columbia.edu...
mmurph123

Pro

mmurph123 forfeited this round.
Hylian_3000

Con

All points extended
mmurph123

Pro

With this, I will explain why you should be voting pro.

First, Childhood obesity. The CDC states that Childhood obesity is one of the biggest problems facing children today. This is not simply baby fat that has not been lost, this is obese children who, as stated in my constructive, are more likely to be obese as adults. Obesity has numerous drawbacks, including increased risk of heart disease and cancer. the CDC states the schools are key to stopping childhood obesity.

My opponent has tried to state that the current physical education only lets kids play games, but by prioritizing physical education, we can change that. Under the definition provided in my Constructive, Physical education includes things such as learning to eat better and lead a healthy life style. it is important to note that Physical and intellectual education are not mutually exclusive, and pro is not advocating that. Children will still learn how to read, write, and other necessary skills. We will simply be prioritizing physical education in order to promote a healthy life style.
Hylian_3000

Con

Hey look, you came back.

Rebuttals
==============
1. Childhood Obesity
Adults are a huge influence on little kids, they should be the ones influencing their health decisions. I didn't have Health class until 6th grade, but I knew what was good for me and wasn't as early as kindergarten. Why? Because my parents taught me that. Kids can learn all they want about healthy eating and how to stay fit, but the truth is, they are still small kids. They don't have a lot of control over what their parents cook for them, or buy for them. May I remind the audience that they will still be taught PE, but isn't so important, as the parents have a large role on what the kids do early in their childhood. Instead, they should be taught a lot more academics. Why? Because the parents may not be able to teach their kids academic skills as good as teachers. To teach the kids how to eat healthy, the parents just need to expose the kids to healthier foods. Let the teachers do their job of teaching them math. If we would do this, the result would be easier to teach kids and more academically advanced kids in the later grades. Which means they will have a higher probability of getting a good job, which will greatly benefit the kid. They will still be able to be taught PE, and they will still attend Health class in later grades.

2. Statistics
Argument still stands

4. Style of PE
Learning how to live a healthy life style is usually taught in Health class. Which can be classified as IE. PE (Physical Education) usually teach kids exercises, sports, and keeps kids in shape, which will still happen, even if IE is prioritized over PE.

==============
In conclusion, IE should continue to be prioritized over PE for the following reasons:
IE teaches kids much more valuable skills.
IE will help the kid in the long-term.
PE for early kids really only teaches sports.
Health is included with IE, which talks about the various things about human health, such as the human diet.
IE is already prioritized over PE, and it's working fine.

I thank Pro for the amazing debate, and I thank the voters.
Vote Con!
Vote Placed by Prodigy0789 2 years ago
Prodigy0789
mmurph123Hylian_3000Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Kids shouldn't have to be trained from the start to be pro athletes. They need that early intellectual stimulation that nurtures their ability and IQ throughout their whole lives. Remember, these are the kids that the world will be in the hands of one day.
Vote Placed by christopher1006 2 years ago
christopher1006
mmurph123Hylian_3000Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct: Con for not forfeiting. Convincing: Pro for talking about health risks. This is a significant impact that con conceeded. Sources: Pro, they provided six sources to con's two. These sources included the CDC. Conclusion: Pro won this debate as they had greater impacts and better sources.
Vote Placed by Paleophyte 2 years ago
Paleophyte
mmurph123Hylian_3000Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited round 3 which pretty much eliminated the possibility of rebuttal. Pro provides no sources though 6 citations appear in his round 1 text. An oversight?